Adelaide Trcks

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 20:32
ThreadID: 5060 Views:1557 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone knw of any good, (read extreme tracks) located within 2 to 3 hours drive from Adelaide CBD?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 20:54

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 20:54
I know of some tracks just outside of Orroroo in some mountain ranges which arnt really extreme...but what are you calling extreme??....
These tracks have quite a few grade 4 climbs and decents in the dry,, they could be quite extreme in the wet...Do you want winch only sort of tracks??... One of the tracks is about an 600metre climb at 35 degrees...not really extreme but you wouldnt want to gain a puncture ½ way up on the rocks that stick out of the ground a foot or so....
The border track could be extreme outside of Pinnaroo with the wetter conditions and the sand dunes are a healthy challenge.....
"for those of you who are laughing at me for saying EXTREME and BORDER TRACK in the same sentence",, please note i also said wet conditions,,,, for the bog holes..._____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 17:40

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 17:40
If you go down the Border Track for the bog holes in the wet tou are only destroying the environment anyway. Speak to the Bordertown CFS and see what they think about you having "fun"in the bog holes in the wet.
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 13369

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 23:04

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 23:04
Why dont we speak to the Army who went through there a few months ago... Tearing the tops off of the sand dunes with their heavy machinery..._____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Follow Up By: Simon - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 13:23

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 13:23
Peter, why does driving through the bogholes destroy the enviroment?
They are already bogholes and wheel ruts. In the dry you can still go round most of the rough stuff anyway.
Id also like to know the Bordertown CFSs offical opinion on this?
FollowupID: 13508

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 14:29

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 14:29
Simon, refer to Phil G answer, you only destroy any track when wet. Why do you think they close the Oodnadatta, Birdsville, Strezleki Track etc etc when wet? Do you think the government are concerned about you getting your 4WD dirty or bogged, i think not. Bordertown CFS need to travel on these tracks to fight fires, If you want their OFFICIAL OPINION I SUGGEST YOU RING THEM AND ASK THEM.
FollowupID: 13558

Follow Up By: Simon - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 15:45

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 15:45
Peter,
The Birdsville and Strezleki 'tracks' are in fact well formed roads and they are closed so they dont get bogged up.
The border track is in a different league.
I would think most of the bogholes were formed by something heavier than a recreational 4wd.
As for the sandhills a fire truck would do more damage than a dozen redneck 4wders with tight tyres!
The only 'enviromental' damage done is when the track was put there, not every time someone drives along it.
There are a lot of other unformed roads in the Tatiara that have been bogged up in the wet by farmers and farm machinery that the CFS have to travel over as well.
FollowupID: 13566

Follow Up By: Goona - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:36

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:36
Voxon,

Thanks for the reply. The kind of tracks that i am seeking are similar to Landcruiser Park in Queensland as that is where i am originaly from. Tracks that you need front and rear lockers at least 100mm lift and mud tyres. Are there any such parks in Adelaide? Would there be any call for such a park in SA. Thinking of purchasing land that could accomodate such a set up. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
FollowupID: 13876

Reply By: Simon - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 12:29

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 12:29
LOL Voxon, I agree though, the bog holes on the border track when wet can be quite a chalenge.
I guess to some the sandhills when dry could pose a problem too.

The southern end would be getin wet by now too I would have thought ( might have to go for a drive myself)
AnswerID: 20764

Reply By: Member - Rick - Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 23:44

Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 23:44
Goona

It is worth investigating the '4wd out of Adealide' site. It is a Yahoo groups site - one exists for a few of the capital cities

CheersRick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 20820

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 21:15

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 21:15
My suggestion is to join a 4wd club and you will get to go places and do stuff that you wouldn't normally be able to do. You'll find a list of clubs at www.saafwdc.asn.au

If the Border Track is wet, then you shouldn't be there. The 4wd Association has fought for 10 years to keep it open, and run working bees to repair it. It got torn up badly at Easter again by inexperienced 4wders who needed up to 15 attempts to get over dunes. Needed someone to tell them about tyre pressures.
AnswerID: 20957

Follow Up By: Simon - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:29

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:29
?
FollowupID: 14633

Reply By: Simon - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 18:20

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 18:20
So Phil,
Ive just heard that theres been a bulldozer thruogh the Pinnaroo end of the track.
Is it true the track has been desecrated?
Is this how 4wd clubs repair tracks??
Or was it done so the CFS can go in and watch the fires burn?
(I bet 1 bulldozer done more damage than a million redneck 4wders.
AnswerID: 21222

Sponsored Links