Hand Wiches

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2003 at 23:06
ThreadID: 5092 Views:2091 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Am interested in purchasing a hand winch for occasions when required to un bog a GU Patrol.
Have had a look at T15 Tirfor type but may stretch budget
Has any one had any thing to do with the Bushranger type that sell for around the $100 mark
They have a dog type of arrangenent as against the jaw clamping type of the Tirfor .
As these cheaper type are probably that, (cheap) they would be better than the kind I currently have---None at all I await some advice

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Friday, May 23, 2003 at 23:18

Friday, May 23, 2003 at 23:18
Mark,

I have a Big Haul which is just as tough as the Tirfor but faster, its a ripper and only about $300-350

I looked all over before buying it, go for something with a bit of grunt as you'll regret it knee deep in mud and crap with rain running down your back if the winch wont do the job.

All the bestSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 20896

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 08:06

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 08:06
Do it right the first time. If you get into something that you thought you could get out of (follow that ?) and the gear lets you down you could end up in deep ........and then it might cost you heaps.
If you want to save the $ for a while until you can get something good and feel you need to be more adventurous team up with someone who has right gear and go in convoy. Check out the 4x4 clubs.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 20914

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 10:17

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 10:17
gday mark.
have a look in the trader section pretty sure there was a turfer going cheap there last nightlooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 20926

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 14:53

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 14:53
Mark,

Had a little experience with those dog type winches about 30 years ago, and feel you'd be better off with a set of wire strainers!! If you are really bogged they will let you down, or at best you'll be most disappointed.

Easiest way is not to get bogged, but that's not always the way things pan out. Hooroo...

AnswerID: 20938

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 20:53

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 20:53
Used a "Big Haul" last w'end to pull a Patrol out of a hole. Ended up using a snatch block and two blokes on the handle (after breaking a shear pin). But we got it out. Would highly recomend getting a snatch block especially if you only have one person to winch. I personally have an OL Mean Green hand winch and its fine but probably only used it twice in anger, but it only takes once to pay itself off!!!!!! Also get an extension strap or two cos you never know how far away that tree is. BTW you regularly see them in the trading post, even the real macoy (Tirfor)
AnswerID: 21014

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 21:19

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 21:19
Andrew,

Where's the shear pin in them big hauls? and where would i get a spare?

BonzSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 13689

Follow Up By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 19:16

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 19:16
You'll find the shear pin in the pull lever, right near the body of the unit,There isn't one on the lowering lever cos theres naff all load on it under use. Spares are in the carrying handle under the little black caps. Most hand winches seem to be similar setups. I'd imagine you'd be able to get new pins from from retailers.
FollowupID: 13806

Sponsored Links