Spread and Pencils

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 17:32
ThreadID: 5102 Views:1949 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Ok guys and gals ,,,driving lights come in many price ranges and qualities,, personaly not interested in brand versus brand debate,,,lights come in SPREAD and PENCIL beam,, what goes where,,spread on left with pencil on right or visa versa,,, one will be legal,,the other way not,, any takers????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pedro (SA) - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 18:12

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 18:12
Publican,
I have 170 Light Force spots. You can turn the whole spotlight around like a clock to open the lense to give a widelight or a very tight spotlight. They are great. Different protection covers give a different type of light spread ie a lot of lateral light. Hope this helps.Counting the sleeps!!
AnswerID: 20942

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 18:19

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 18:19
Another taker

I have spread and pencils on my patrol. Pencil WAS on drivers side and spread on the other, the pencil sotting down the road etc. JUst got my winch fitted and the guys swapped them on putting it all back together, cant say as there is a big difference but I will change ot back as I prefer it that way.

One thing is, if you have reasonable lights then go for two pencil beams, i just pitched the "blue" 90/100w H4's and put Narva 100/130's in and now the spread adds little to the light out there, would be better with tow pencils.

I dont think there is any legal preference in Oz.

All the bestSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 20943

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 18:49

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 18:49
correct,,,legaly pencil on drivers side...........
FollowupID: 13515

Follow Up By: Hugh - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 00:31

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 00:31
I went through this dilemna a few months ago when selecting spots for my GU Patrol. Having had spread and pencil previously I thought this was the way to go. However received some advice regarding upgrading head light bulbs and fitting two pencils, as mentioned above.

Did the head lights first and noticed a big improvement in spread. Subsequently added two pencils. The combination (with some trial on positioning the pencils) is very good and much better than set-up on previous vehicle.

I guess the decision gets down to personal choice, certainly either combination is going to better than none at all.
FollowupID: 13719

Reply By: Darian - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 19:16

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 19:16
Indeed, re the Lightforce comment ....they can be set to the required pattern
without tools - just wind them round ! The clip on clears are great for stones and the yellow (fog) and ribbed (diffuser) clip ons are a great idea too. Both the smaller and larger sizes on offer use a 100 W globe but the larger one has a big increase in candlepower - if going to this style of light, could pay to fit the biggies if you have the room.
Love the bush - stuck in the city - help.
AnswerID: 20944

Reply By: colin - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 21:01

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 21:01
doesnt matter which way lights are set up, only legal requirment is a of on switch for the spotties over the high beam of your vehicle. have to say you should look at the brand of spotties you buy as they do differ in quality and brightness amps drawn. another problem i came across is with alloy bars and the mounting plate, i run rally 4000 which are a heavy light and after lots of corrugatted roads have found the mounting bracket breaks on the bar and falls of. Col
AnswerID: 20954

Reply By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 22:15

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 22:15
Publican,
Just something to be aware of when fitting the clip on plastic covers, the plastic covers may protect the glass but the covers also stop the air flow over the glass which is designed to cool the light. When you have these high wattage lights burning away the air space inside the light gets very hot. The excess heat won't cause an instant failure obviously but by all accounts running a hotter lamp shortens the life of the bulb / globe. Personally I have the stick on plastic sheet light protector which you cut out to fit over the lens, this is designed in a way that the heat of the glass causes the glue to fuse the plastic onto the lens, this gives an indication of the heat generated. After being fitted the plastic allows the air to cool the lens albiet not as efficiently as straight onto the glass. Hope this helpsKeep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 20961

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 23:46

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 23:46
What i used to do in the N.T was to fit the pencil beam on the drivers side and have the flood light on the left but pointing slightly to the left off the side of the road.

This would allow me to have an early warning if a cow or a buff was running out from the bush on to the road.

Only my way of thinking !

Kev.
AnswerID: 20969

Follow Up By: Slammin - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 00:48

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 00:48
I'm out here and agree 100% you need to mix them up, even if its 2 pencils and 1 spread, the side of the road is the most important place and the ability to see the eyes reflection is crucial.

Pencil beams also blind animals and I find spook them onto the road. I ride my bike at night and animals runaway heaps more than they run onto the road!

Have fun.
FollowupID: 13533

Reply By: johnsy - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 06:39

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 06:39
O.K. here's a couple of more ideas to consider.

Run 2 x pencils that cross over at the point where Hi beam is on the road. The reason being that the over throw light will light up the verges of the road for what ever hiding out there and also one beam is leading around the corner for you.

Mount the lights on rhs steel so they are permantly set up then have the bolts come up from the bottom of your bar and locked in so all you have to do is drop the set lights on the bolts and tighten with wing nuts .The advantage of this is it takes only a minute to take on and off and you can keep the lights in the vehicle away from those that are to tight to fork out for their own.

And finally I have 170 lightforce on my patrol and after losing rally 2000 s cibie s to the discount crowd find them to be a top light .Remember the bigger the lights the less air flow and the more desirable for a trophy .
AnswerID: 20976

Follow Up By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 21:27

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 21:27
I use locking wheel nuts on my lights thes act as a good anti theft device, they have to be the type of wheel nuts the thread goes through, is you know what I mean.Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 13592

Reply By: Simon - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 16:35

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 16:35
2 pencils for my money.
AnswerID: 20998

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 21:37

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 21:37
Interesting problem - What goes where... Simplest answer, is to try them both.. Takes 5 mins to swap them over, and do what YOU find the best. What suits me maynot be what you are after.

Drove back from bleep ney last night, did the last section in the dark (9 hours all up).

I had 2x rally 2000s (one of each) on top of the bullbar, and 2 x old like rally 1000's in the bar last time. Twas GREAT. Had the 2 smaller ones pointing lightly to the side and the pencil on drivers, and spread on left. It was AWESOME.

This time I have 2 x Lightforce 240s, one with normal cover, and one with the spread cover. The difference in left and right light is AMAZING, and the difference between the 4 and 2 lights is also obvious!

The 240's you can play with to turn from spread to pencil, but for me, I'll chuck 2x 181's I have back on, to make 4 lights. I wasnt happy with the overall light output.

I've had 2 pencils before, totally useless. They show the road miles ahead BIG DEAL! But they dont show you crap thats around the side of the road much. Someone mentioned earlier, cattle and stuff, theres also roos that are a problem. Being able to see them could mean the difference in life and death. Believe me it happens. Ultimate setup is mates car with 4x HID's.. but then thats $4000!

AnswerID: 21021

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 09:56

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 09:56
" bleep ney" I agree but you only go Half way. Melbourne is the same. Move to the country where the air is clean the people friendly and 4WDing is a daily joy and not a weekend niceity!!!
Yes the 240's are the go I have them both set to pencil and they are great! as good as 2 rallye 2000 and hella bull light together!
I am still looking at putting more lights on can never have to much light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Brian
FollowupID: 13732

Reply By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:17

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 15:17
I have two pencil beams - regardless of spread or not, you are not going to see a cow or roo that suddenly comes out of a bush at the side of the road and with a fully laden vehicle at 110km/h (or faster for the naughty ones) braking distance is a shocker. Love the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 21089

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 14:09

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 14:09
Maybe not next to you, wouldnt matter if you had aircraft landing lights then! but if the side of the road is clear ahead of u, and you can see 'part' of the side of the road 100-200mtrs ahead, you have more chance than none.. Thats what I was thinkin'.. Also helps to spot the Bacon and their speed cameras.

YMMV
FollowupID: 13757

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 23:07

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 23:07
Just explaining that where I live everywhere consists of single lane bitumen, 1 metre of gravel on each side then 'very' dense shrub on either side.
At least with pencil beams you can ever so slightly adjust the left spotty to point ever so slightly to the right and vice versa, whereas you don't have that advantage with spreads.Love the bush.
Chris
FollowupID: 13829

Sponsored Links