Snorkel for Kimberley?

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2003 at 18:14
ThreadID: 5127 Views:1893 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I hope to head for the Kimberley in June-July. Do I need a snorkel for my GQ Patrol diesel?

With thanks,
Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 18:49

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 18:49
Kevin,
You don't need a snorkel to do any trip but it reduces dust intake so filter stays clean longer & keeps water out in deep water crossings, also improves air flow to motor.
Have a great trip
BobRegards Bob
Wish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 21122

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 21:56

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 21:56
I disagree, some trips you dead set need a snorkle or you wont make it.

They sell snorkles for a reason but the dust thing is a bonus, many a time if i didn't have a snorkle i would of defenatly be replacing my engine.

Kevin, the way i see it is you may say i wont go anywhere where there is deep water but when faced with a unexpected crossing you will have to make the decision to cross or turn back.
Especialy if with others you may feel the pressure to give it a try to not upset others.

Cheap insurance !!!
FollowupID: 13696

Follow Up By: gordon g - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:07

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:07
Kevin,
Having travelled and worked in most parts of the Kimberlys I can't think of anywhere you would need a snorkel in June July or August.Maybe for sure in the wet season if you are brave enough, so don't waste your money--buy some good tyres instead.
FollowupID: 15453

Reply By: Member - Alpaca (SA) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 19:45

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 19:45
Kevin,
Did the Kimberlies a few years ago without a snorkle and had a finer filter. No problems at all. Have now fitted one for exactly the same reasons BJ has outlined.
Take your time and enjoy.Alpaca
AnswerID: 21126

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:47

Monday, May 26, 2003 at 23:47
you will find that any water crossings in the Kimberley that are above your air intake will have a velocity far too great for crossing on most, if not every occasion.

There will no doubt be exceptions but as a rule of thumb I think you'll find this stands true.

Kimberley is pretty dry in June-July also but when it rains it's like nothing you've ever seen or experiencedIn here - thinking of out there !!!
AnswerID: 21177

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 10:35

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 10:35
We drove from Darby east and right at the end you cross Pentacost River.
Its shallow at west end and then its get deeper and deeper. I was so
happy that I installed that snorkel before the trip.
Its your choice because you can get away with using tarp in those situation.
Its like many things you buy for 4wdrive - just in case something happens.

AnswerID: 21186

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 11:49

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 11:49
Another thing to keep in mind, especially in the Kimberly, during or just after the wet season, some of the river crossings may be negotiable depth wise but the current will sweep you of the track into deeper waters.
A snorkel is of no use in these circumstances.
They are only of use in deep water crossings if there is little or no current.
I have never had a snorkel and never had a problem.
Apply common sense. Just made it, King Edward River
AnswerID: 21195

Reply By: Duffa - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 20:01

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 20:01
Kevin,

We have generally had a pretty poor wet season this year. Came down the GRR yesterday and very few crossings had any water.....those that did were only ~300mm max. Pentecost no probs.....currently ~400mm in the hole on the eastern side.

Cheers.
Duffa
Derby, WA.
AnswerID: 21317

Sponsored Links