Cheap Reliable 4WD Hire in Alice Springs

Submitted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 02:24
ThreadID: 5134 Views:2572 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone suggest any less expensive but reliable 4wd Hire Companies in Alice Springs? Vehicle does not have to be new - just reliable.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 11:07

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 11:07
Try this site I picked it up in a Google search. There are few choices.
Good luck

http://www.centralaustraliantourism.com/html/vehicle_hire.htmCarpe Diem
AnswerID: 21189

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 16:14

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 16:14
Hi Rosalie,
there are a lot of places you can go in Alice (most) where a conventional vehicle will suffice. Obviously, that would be a lot cheaper. If you wanted to explore that option just tell us your intended routes and destinations and I am sure the collective wisdom of this list could help you decide.
AnswerID: 21214

Follow Up By: Rosalie - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:11

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:11
Thanks Bob, Yes I know - we are driving our own 2WD commodore wagon up from Adelaide & considered doing our complete trip with it. But we plan to visit our sister out at Mt Doreen Station, about 350km up the Tanami Road from Alice and have heard the unsealed sections can be very rough. Also would be handy to have a 4WD to explore the Station but it does cost! Do you know the lower end of the Tanami & would you take a 2WD? We were wondering if there was a cheaper hire company which hired older than new 4WD but haven't found any yet.
FollowupID: 13835

Follow Up By: Slammin - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 23:49

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 23:49
The commodore would do it if weather stays dry BUUUUUT it depends on how much you like the commodore! I don't know of any hire company that allows 2wd's on dirt roads.

I would suggest that your sister book the vehicle in your name at a Territorian (locals) rate.

Tanami is very nice and has some good flowers at the moment, enjoy your stay.
FollowupID: 13900

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:37

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:37
Rosalie, the Tanami as far as Yuendumu is heavily used by conventional vehicles and is like a dirt freeway. I was at Yuendumu over Easter. I can't see it raining, and even if it did this part will be fine. Without looking at the map I believe your destination isn't that far from Yuendumu. Provided you don't drive like Fangio you will have no problems.The only issue is corrugations. Ground clearance and traction are not important. By going at a sensible speed your trusty Commode will handle the conditions easily. On your friend's property you won't be able to cross rough river beds etc The cost of a 4WD is huge - I wouldn't do it.

Best wishes for a great trip.

FollowupID: 13958

Follow Up By: Slammin - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 00:55

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 00:55
Bob the great thing about living in the Tanami is the fairly constant weather, dry - hot or cold (Freezing the proverbials off right now!). But we have family who tried to visit 2 easters ago and couldn't leave Alice to see us or even drive North or South for 2 weeks and our airstrip was unuseable (BTW Yuendumu is blacktop airstrip). For them it was a very, very expensive and frustrating lesson in outback life.

We have also had the last 2 out of 3 June long week-ends wet. Yes it is a desert but when it rains we can get quite a bit. Having said that we are currently leaving a 1 in 100 year wettest ever weather system and you are probably right it won't rain but when family travel so far and all you get is cheaper phone calls, it's nice to have the bases covered.

As to your comment even if its wet this part is fine I don't think you have seen the Napperby R. or Charlie C. flowing which are both still on the blacktop and before Yuendumu.

The Tanami Hwy is very heavily used by road trains, 2wds do it but don't last very long. We had a friends 2wd car blow its shocks last weekend. When you add in suspension sag labour etc and any other rattles it comes down to how much do you like your car? By memory Mt Doreen is @ 50k past Y. no it's not that far and I probably do have more money than sense and am overly cautious so Rosalie go with what your sister recomends.

Have fun and let us know how your trip goes.
FollowupID: 13971

Reply By: Slammin - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 23:31

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 23:31
Bobs given you some good oil there.

I rang around for the hand brakes family and found Budget the cheapest that I could find and spent @ 2 hrs on the phone all up. Landcruiser for a week was @ $1000 with I think 300k/day incl reduced excess and can provide 2nd spare with notice. Pickup the vehicle at the airport and pay more.

It seems pretty quiet so you should be able to get a deal, same with accom.

Hope it helps.
AnswerID: 21251

Follow Up By: Rosalie - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:17

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 00:17
Thanks Slammin, You got a good deal. I've tried nearly every hire company in Alice (over the net) & almost all have quoted with only 100km/day & quite a bit more expensive too! I'll query with Budget. We are going in school holidays so that probably makes a difference!
FollowupID: 13836

Reply By: Yo Sam - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 07:13

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 07:13
Rosalie,
I know this is a little late but this morning on tv (yeah I live in alice) advance car rentals was offering cheap 4wd hire. They also said if you mention the tv ad they will give a further 15% discount. Hope this helps

Yo Sam
AnswerID: 21356

Reply By: Rosalie - Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 18:04

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 18:04
Thanks for your help everyone! We ended up Booking with Budget direct with the Office in Alice Springs (not over the net or with the 1300 No. - this does make a great difference I found! Budget in Melbourne told me I couldn't be covered by any insurance as soon as we left any Government Roads! Alice Office came up with a better deal & said we could drive on the Station road ways!) We've got a Toyota Landcruiser for $89 + $27.50 Insurance /day with 200km free/day for last week of June'03. Advance's special deal as advertised was $150/day for the same thing except they did give unlimited kms. We're looking forward to our trip!
AnswerID: 21511

Sponsored Links