285/75x16 BFG A/T

Submitted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 17:43
ThreadID: 5138 Views:1990 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
A friend has BFG 285/75x16 A/T on his 100 series Cruiser(and so do I), and he has blown 2 or 3 of them up on recent outback trips on dirt roads. Someone has suggested that the reason could be that you get more side wall flex with the 285's than with 275/70 that other people run, and this is causing the sidewalls to build up more heat, and to blow because of the heat build up. Has anyone got any comments on this theory.
Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 17:48

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 17:48
What pressures is he running? How fast is he going? Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 21221

Follow Up By: ray91 - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 23:14

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 23:14
NO just crapy BFG 3ply side walls. 3 plys of nothing is still nothing.Old BFG tyres used to be good new ones like paper.
FollowupID: 13898

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 19:20

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 19:20
Yes I agree with the other comment re pressures. Most first time outback-tourers usually fall for the mistake of running their tyres on rough,rocky outback roads, at too high a pressure, thinking because of the speed, they should keep road or bitumen pressures in them. Wrong. Those higher pressures will not allow the tyre to flex and absorb the tremendous shocks that are reverberated through the carcass when they strike rocks at highway speeds. By airing down, and allowing the tyres to "mould" and flex over the rocks, you will find that the incidence of internal shock failure will deminish. However, you can over do it and risk too much flex in the sidewalls and you will indeed generate heat that will lead to sidewall failure. You must find the happy medium, which is usually somewhere in the realm of 20% down on your highway pressures, for heavily laden, dirt road travel. But, personally, I don't think BFG's are what they used to be, especially the AT's, and I have been using them for 25 years, untill now that is.
AnswerID: 21227

Follow Up By: Goona - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:48

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:48
Desert,

What brand are you running now? What pressures do you run fully loaded on dirt corrorgated roads?

Goona
FollowupID: 13878

Follow Up By: desert - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 20:15

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 20:15
Goona, you've caught me on the hop! At present I am trialling two brands. First is Kelly Safari MSR in 265/75x16. These are 8 ply rated, are very tuff in the sidewall/shoulder area and have a deep tread of 14.2mm, which is a full mm deeper than a Cooper tyre. The second set is a Cooper ST, same size but a 10 ply rated tyre. As for pressures, I don't know just yet as the trialling is yet to get off the highway, however, given road pressures of 45 psi, I'll probably start at 20% lower than that, have a look at the sidewall bulge and keep a hand on the temperatures to see if I'm on the money.
FollowupID: 13884

Reply By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 19:36

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 19:36
I bought 5 AT's 3 years ago. They have about 30 to 40 % left and 3 of them developed slow leaks after my easter trip around Carowine Gorge.When we pulled them off 3 of them had all developed the some crossways split on the inside. The dealer said thats from reducing pressures on the gravel. I'm not impressed. I don't know what to think.
Allan
AnswerID: 21312

Follow Up By: desert - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 20:08

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 20:08
Well Allan, it has been my experience that star fractures or splits inside of the carcass, with no apparent external marks, is caused by high impact fracturing on rocks with tyres that are TOO HARD. Ever had a puncture and removed the tube (in the old days!) and found no reason for the puncture? Same thing again.
FollowupID: 13883

Reply By: Member - Howard- Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:20

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:20
Simon,
a couple of comments,
I run 285/75 x16 bfg at's on an 80 series and never had a punture with them. I have 2 sets of wheels .
the set for around town / farm etc has over 100,000 kms on them and I may get another 5000 before the wear indicators are reached.
put a set of new ko's on prior to a central australia, kimberly trip last winter and am very dissappointed with wear, at least 35% wear in 20,000km and estimated 15 % of tread blocks torn off.
I run tyres at 40psi cold,44 hot when loaded for long trips ie 3 tonne gross.
Interestingly on the kimberly trip I was accompanied by a mate who fitted same tyres but 31x10.5x15 also on 80 series identically loaded.
he destroyed 2 tyres in 10 km on Gibb river road just north of Mt Barnett.
he was running same tyre pressures.
why did he have the puntures ?, from my view from behind (I was fiollowing him when he got the second puncture) was the fact he was hitting large loose rocks and braking hard into cross drains hitting them locked up.causing tyre cases to fracture.

while knowing I am in the minority I am a firm believer in high tyre pressues based on over 10 years motor rallying in the 70's and 80's . with both conventional wintertreads ( thats how long ago it was )and with radial m&s rally tyres I always ran min 50 psi and only experienced 1 puncture in those 10 years . those who ran low pressures punctured the sidewalls due to flex especially with radial tyres even 6 ply rally tyres.

I think driving style is the cause of most punctures on dirt roads.
thats my 2 bobs worth
regards
Howard

AnswerID: 21339

Reply By: colin - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 02:45

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 02:45
Hi folks my experience running coopers a/t around town i run 32psi long trips dirt roads central desert country fully loaded towing camper trailer 32psi have never had a flat puncture or side wall damage, look at your max load factor of your tyre coopers 1550kg, bfg 1360kg, most vehicles doing a long out back trip will be over their GVM and tyer max load, i have a 92 patrol GVM 2800kgs which is full tank of fuel couple of people esky and fridge brings me up very close to GVM, so now look at the max load factor on the tyres, we dont ask much and expect every thing. These are all the things truckys have to deal with and the transport dept and the puplic when a truck ends up in a accident, then we abuse the insurance co,s when they wont pay out for our mistakes, we all have to follow the rules so look closly at the finer details. IF you worry about heat in your tyres go fully loaded at 100ks for how many hours stop get out feel your tyres and i will quaranty the heat factor will be zero. Have found from experince that jap made tyres will not handle roads such as the birdsville track, oonadatta track,plenty hway, doesnt matter what tread pattern, spend the dollars get the best for what you intend to do. Col
AnswerID: 21354

Sponsored Links