New Dualcab 4x4

Submitted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 22:05
ThreadID: 5143 Views:2490 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I am looking at buying a new TD Dualcab, either a Navara or Hilux.

We are planning a trip to the cape next year and were curious on the off-road abilities of both machines without too much modification.

Like the looks and performance of the Navara, but just not sure how they compare with the Toyota's offroad.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tristjo - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 22:27

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 22:27
Hi Wanderer.

Both of these vehicles would easily handle a trip to The Cape. The Hilux has a better ramp over angle, and a better departure angle, so it may be easier to plan your route in and out of creeks, but having said that, I don't beleive that the Navara would have any trouble whatsoever. The Navara is much better value for money than the Hilux, and has a ripper of a motor. I beleive it also has a larger towing capacity. In my oppinion, for what you get, the Hilux is a bit pricey, without any real advantages. For the price of a Hilux alone, you could have a Navara decked out with all the touring, and offroad goodies.

So, if I was spending my money, the Navara would get the nod. I just couldn't justify the extra expense of the Hilux, and anyway, quite frankly, I wouldn't want to.

Enjoy The Cape!!
Tristjo
AnswerID: 21244

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 23:52

Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 23:52
I agree with Tristro the extra cost of the hilux I could not justify. Also the hilux I test drove (SR5) handled verry poorly!!!!
I pick up my (Wifes) Navara STR tomorrow!
Brian
FollowupID: 13834

Follow Up By: howesy - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:24

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:24
Got to agree there buddy. I test drove both vehicles and you could argue the pro's and con's of each for hours but that 3000kg braked towing capacity of the navara gets my vote, if i was to buy one tomorrow that would be it.
FollowupID: 13874

Reply By: Shirly - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 08:41

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 08:41
We bought a new Triton dual cab with the turbo diesel engine.
We have had it two weeks and pleased with the bigger cab and performance.
We traded in our two year old Hilux because of many ongoing problems not fixed.
Hubby and I looked at the Nissan and decided to go with the Triton due to known reliability and no problems. Many of our friends have the Pajero with the 2.8 turbo motor with large kilometer readings and no faults. Many sheep farmers have Triton here and asked them and all happy and no break down. Nissan engine hubby said has got few problems and lot more expensive to repair. We could not afford to have another failure like the Hilux.
AnswerID: 21269

Reply By: jonny dontknowmuch - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 10:38

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 10:38
traded in my hilux for a dual cab triton (petrol) just one more thing to add to the cost of a hilux (not sure if it for the later models) but you have to get them serviced every 5000kms instead of my triton 7500kms and the bigger services are 10000 instaed of 15000. maybe not a big deal but something else to ad to the pros and cons list.
AnswerID: 21273

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 12:19

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 12:19
Jonny

What year is your Triton? 1999 onwards service interval on the 3.0 litre petrol model are 15000km.

WombatLive today as if there may be no tomorrow
FollowupID: 13857

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 10:42

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 10:42
Agree with Shirly - have a look at the new TiD Triton. We're on our second Triton GLS dual cab (petrol unfortunately) and have had not one bit of trouble. One word of warning check the maximum static towball download on all three - they are all extraordinarily low. Good luck.

AnswerID: 21274

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 11:56

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 11:56
Don't know about towball download on Hilux or Triton but on 3.0L Navara TD DX it is 100KG at GVM of 2920KG. Reduce GVM by 280KG to 2640KG and ball weight can go to 250KG. Vehicle Tare is 1850KG so that still leaves load of up to 790KG, towing a trailer up to 3000KG with a ball weight of 250KG. Pretty good I'd say. Triton and Hilux don't offer the same towing capability - I tow a 2200KG tandem axle Generator for emergency use at work and Navara was only one that could legally do it (and it does it easily).

Cheers

KevinKevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
FollowupID: 13853

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 12:17

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 12:17
Kevin,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 100Kg maximum download meant that this was the warranteed limit regardless of your gross vehicle mass or trailer weight and therefore any excess over the 100Kg would void the vehicle manufacturer's warranty.

FollowupID: 13856

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 12:58

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 12:58
Wombat - not sure about other vehicle manufacturers but in the case of Nissan for the Navara and Patrol the towball download is directly related to the actual weight of the vehicle. The snip below is directly from Nissan's web site - Navara section. www.nissan.com.au etc.

*** Towing capacity is subject to towbar/towball capacity. The capacity may be reduced if a non genuine Nissan towbar is fitted. The permitted download is directly related to the laden mass of vehicle. At the maximum laden mass of the vehicle (Gross Vehicle Mass - GVM) the maximum towball download is 100kgs.
Towball download Loaded vehicle mass Single Cab Dual Cab
100kgs GVM (all models) GVM GVM
150kgs Reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 40kgs 130kgs
200kgs Reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 110kgs 210kgs
250kgs Reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 180kgs 280kgs
If the loaded vehicle mass is reduced as shown in the table, the towball download can be increased correspondingly. Accordingly, if the laden mass is 280kgs less than the GVM (Dual Cab models), a towball download of 250kgs is approved. Different trailer types and different trailer manufacturers have varying towball downloads. The customer will need to contact the trailer manufacturer for information as to the download. Nissan is not able to make any recommendation on the use or suitability of load-levelling or weight distribution devices to be fitted to the vehicle. Customers should contact the manufacturers of these devices for further information.

Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
FollowupID: 13862

Follow Up By: jonny dontknowmuch - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 09:22

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 09:22
yeah wombat i actually ment the smaller services like the oil change and filter change are at 7500lms some people might not know how to do it im only just starting to do it myself now. but your right its ever 15000 but the hilux is ever 10 it slowly adds up maybe not a big point but a point none the less. also what suspension on your new and/or old triton did you put on?
FollowupID: 13910

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 10:44

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 10:44
I still have standard suspension Jonny. We do very little rock climbing and fully loaded as it always seems to be it seems to hold up well to corrugations and the like. If we get into heavy duty 4WDing down the track we shall possibly upgrade. Another reason for staying standard is that it's a business vehicle and the taxman would probaly query the necessity for a suspension upgrade for city deliveries.

Funny thing though we were at the car dealers the other day and our old Triton was in for a service. Curious as to how it was being looked after I noticed it seemed to be sitting lower than usual. Turns out the guy who bought it had it lowered by four inches. I nearly wet myself. Oh well, each to their own."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 13922

Reply By: SimonIT - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 11:33

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 11:33
I drove both the Navara TD and new Triton TD the other day and the Navara has it all over the Triton as far as I'm concerned. How do people think the 2.5 TD in the Bravo/Courier compares? I'm contemplating upgrading from a Courier (petrol) to the Navara 3.0 TD - I was very impressed with it and good pricing.
AnswerID: 21279

Follow Up By: Shirly Brown - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:21

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 17:21
Simon we both drove the Triton and the Navara
Hubby did not mind either and did say the Navara had a bit more oooomph which we do not need
I prefer the Triton seating, hubby did not mind either
On the highway the Triton cruised noticebly better than the Navara
We took each for a 100k round trip
Triton brakes and steering felt better
Around town no difference
I prefered the Triton gearbox, hubby did not mind either
Navara was I suppose you would say smarter inside
After reading all the reports on the vehicles we could find and speaking with owners of Triton Pajero Patrol and Navara. The Triton won easily in lack of problems and maintainence costs
2 Navara owners were having bad problems with the 3 turbo diesel and 2 others thought there problems were starting
We decided on the Triton diesel turbo but still haggled on both for price
If the Navara had been cheaper a lot cheaper then we would have gone with Nissan
The Navara would have had to have been from what hubby worked out about $3000 difference for the extra service and maintainence costs compared to the Triton
The deal on the Triton was a lot better and so was the Mitsubishi dealer
We had to do a lot of work to check everything out as we could not afford to have another lemon like the Hilux

Why did you prefer the Navara
FollowupID: 13873

Follow Up By: SimonIT - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 09:11

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 09:11
Hi Shirley,

I will admit my comments were first impression ones only. I haven't done the homework yet that you obviously have. Another disadvantage was that I drove a Triton that was a single cab with no tray (I was just wanting to get a feel for the new 2.8 turbo diesel and that was all they had) so handling etc. was a bit hard to judge.

Will also say that the Nissan man admitted the chip in the ST-R was a dodgy one. It had come out of a customers Navara and they were having problems with it straight away so they swapped it with the demo models chip.

After your comments and others I'll probably have another look at the Triton when they get the dual cabs in.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 13908

Reply By: Goodsy - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:26

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:26
Well isn't this the "Bag the hilux thread" Drove Navara was unimpressed with the suspension setup. Too soft. Fit and finish was also not up to spec. Triton has only just got and engine to compeat with hilux. You all claim to have had problems with the hilux. What were they? I want to know.
AnswerID: 21340

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:31

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:31
My only real gripe with the hilux was the extra $10000!!!!!

Brian
FollowupID: 13896

Follow Up By: Goodsy - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:53

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:53
Think you will find it more like $5000. A mate just went through it. Yes they are more expensive. For that you get ADD and electric mirrors. Not $5000 I know but it brings the difference down a bit.
FollowupID: 13897

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 23:37

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 23:37
I beg to differ have Just done the deal and the Difference Was $9600 with Identical options The Rodeo was $6000 more expensive.
Will pick the Navara up Tommorow!
Brian
FollowupID: 13899

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 09:22

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 09:22
I own an 80 series tojo and in the early to mid 80s owned several dual cab hilux until my family got to big. Those 2.4 diesels with live axles were great go anywhere little trucks. Imagine my disappointment when I had a brand new IFS hilux on my training tracks and it wouldn't climb my stall start demo hill till I let the tyres down to 20lb. If we want 4wds to drive like cars lets not be surpised when they act like cars. On the same day a dual cab rodeo walked easily up the same hill. Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 13909

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 10:36

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 10:36
Exactly the reason why I bought the Triton Rob!"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 13920

Sponsored Links