Subaru L-series wagon

Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 21:07
ThreadID: 5161 Views:12916 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,this is my first posting to you guy's,hopefully you will be able to help.
I own a subie,and am proud to do so!I know it is a "soft roader",but my requirements are mainly sand driving,being an avid fisherman,this vehicle suits my requirements quite well.I'm looking to add a lift kit(2"),and am a bit confused.Some have said to me about lengthening drive shafts and brake lines etc
some say it is not necessary.I can rationally see that the kit will produce "strain"on the cv's,but how much?I have owned many subaru's,but this is my first 4wd.I have got between 70 and 80 thou out of previous cv's,how much will this "decrease"?
Also,wondering what other mods other subie owners have done to make them more of a "beast".Thanx in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:14

Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 22:14
You may be confused by the 'termonology ? A lift kit generally infers that you put spacers between the body and 'chasiss'/suspension mounts and gearbox. This method is more involved and not cheap - probably needs to be done by a professional and may need extensions to steering and brake lines etc. You can also lift the car using longer springs - this will give you less susp down travel. Inceased clearance can also be gained by placing 'spacers' on top of front struts (the 3 strut bolts need to be longer) On my L's I used longer/stiffer springs on the back, and stiffer springs on front with spacers. CONFUSED ? There are bits available from Scorpion in Qld, Kings Springs and Fulcrum Suspension for these options. Do a search on the Web and locate the agents in your area. Also put the same questions to Subaru Forum, especially in regard to performance - there is a Turbo motor for the L but they are as rare as hens teeth.
Try here Subaru links
Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 21337

Reply By: tristjo - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 13:08

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 13:08
Hi Jezza, and welcome to the forum.

This mite not help, but I will share it anyway. My uncle used to own an L series Scooby doo, with a moderate (3inch, i think) lift on her. From memory, he didn't have to lengthen driveshafts and brakelines on her. He ran larger tyres which also gave a bit more clearance. It was a bit of a beast, actually, and went almost anywhere he pointed it, although he was very experienced. He used to tow a fully laden camper trailer, as well as a full carload of people, up the beach on famlily camping trips, and did not get stuck that often. I accompanied him on a trip to Landcruiser Mt Park for a day driving the trails, and everyone was suprised with the sorts off things he could do in her!! Best of all, though, is that it handled really well on road, so it was always great to cane arond the traps in, whilst still a good little truck offroad. So, small lifts can be acheived on a Scooby, without to much modifying, and they are a great unit in light offroad.

The only reason he sold it was because, in the end, there was more rust than car, and he also wanted to tow a large-ish van, so he now owns an HJ60 Cruiser.

Just my experience with em, so I hope it helps.
Tristjo.
AnswerID: 21378

Reply By: nomad - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 17:37

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 17:37
G'day Jezza.
Contrary to popular belief, a lift kit does'nt add any extra strain to the c. v .joints.
All it does is lift the body,the angle of the c.v.joints doesen't change unles you wind up the the spring platforms.
(I think this option was discontinued after 1986.)
The idea is that by lifting the body,this allows enough clearanc to fit taller
wheels.
I have had 7 subarus over the years,including 3, to which I have fitted lift kits.
If you buy a good quality kit like a Sqorpion,you will get every thing you need to do the job at home in a couple of hours.
The last couple of kits I baught second hand out of the trading post for a couple of hundred dollars.
Just be sure you have some one along who knows what they are looking at, to make sure it's all there.
A steering shaft extension was about the most complicated part of it,so it's pretty simple.
AS for other mods,the size of your bank account is the only limiting factor.
Try the Subaru club of Q L D,they have some pretty wild super glues there,including a brumby with a H U G E lift and a big set of 15" wheels.
all the best,Nomad.

AnswerID: 21397

Reply By: jezza - Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:56

Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 20:56
thanx for all the info guy's.......just the sort of stuff I was after!Those subaru sites are fantastic,and would reccomend them to anyone.
Thanx again and cheers.
AnswerID: 21417

Sponsored Links