Emergency SMS

Submitted: Friday, May 30, 2003 at 01:11
ThreadID: 5183 Views:1629 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
With all the chatter about wether the lost lady deserved to die or not I did hear on the radio that when reception is too low for talk an SMS can still be sent, even with 0 reception bars, because the information is such a small amount.

They also mentioned that there is some emerg number that kind of acts like an epirb, don't know if it was 117 or something or even bulldust but it would be interesting if someone could advise.

Before I get a ton of messages about the "proper" safety gear any additional help is always a benefit.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Redjack - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 01:31

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 01:31
If you have a GSM (digital) mobile phone, the emergency number is 112. This will force the phone to make a call on whatever network coverage is available, even if that's not your normal network. If it's a CDMA phone 000 does the same, though there is only one CDMA network in Australia - Telstra. Orange does have a limited network in capital cities.
AnswerID: 21432

Reply By: Steve L - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 08:44

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 08:44
It is also worth noting that dialling 112 will not only pick up the closest network cell (regardless of if it's 'your' carrier or not), but it will also bump other calls off the cell if needed to ensure your call goes through. So if the cell is full - already carrying as many calls as it can handle - someone else's call will get disconnected to make room for your 112 call. This doesn't happen if you simply dial 000.

112 is the standard emergency number for most GSM networks around the world, so you don't have to memorise the local emergency number when roaming.
AnswerID: 21435

Follow Up By: howesy - Friday, May 30, 2003 at 19:34

Friday, May 30, 2003 at 19:34
112 is great I,ve used it but it only works where there is service from a network. If you are planning a trip I took a sat phone and a GPS., if you can't afford to pay these off then at least get a UHF or even a side band unit will get someone somewhere. GPS can be got for as litle as $290 and sat phones for $1600 through vodaphone (their sat network sometimes you may have to wait 15 mins for a passing satelite, big deal) How much is your life worth?
FollowupID: 14009

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 11:59

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 11:59
Something people should be aware of is that with GSM, the distance that a phone will work from a tower is limited by the GSM protocol. So if you are outside that maximum distance then climbing a hill won't help at all.

CDMA works more like military data transmission and the distance signals can travel is only limited by normal factors, so climbing a hill is more likely to be of use.

But can anyone honestly say that a life is worth less than a personal EPIRB? You should always try all other methods of communication before using an EPRIB, but it's nice to know it's there if all else fails.
AnswerID: 21505

Sponsored Links