<span class="highlight">Globalstar</span> again

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 21:15
ThreadID: 51937 Views:2766 Replies:13 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
hi all ,well another thread on globalstar but i feel i have to ask a few questions .
1] i read in a thread that globalstar maybe doing a deal with iridium and port all Gsat customers over to Iridium ,is there any more news on this or is it just pie in the sky ?
2] is iridium any better ?
The reason i ask these questions is because in the past i have stuck up for Gsat as i honestly found the service ok ,certainly up untill july this year but i am now starting to diubt Gsats service because for the last few days i have been testing out the phone in sat mode in rediness for us going away at crimbo and guess what ? absoulutely sweet FA and im really cheesed off as now i feel im getting pillaged everymonth for the fee .
your imput will be greatly appreciated .pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 21:40

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 21:40
Iridium is the best of the best but I think that you will find that they are also the most expensive.
AnswerID: 273504

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 21:51

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 21:51
You get what you pay for!!!

How expensive is a service that does not work??

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 536919

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 22:15

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 22:15
John, sugest you read the question again and then my answer !

I said that Iridium is the best and (I believe) the most expensive.

What's wrong with that ? That's not knocking the service in any way. Have you checked the price of calls on the Iridium system ?
FollowupID: 536925

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 22:35

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 22:35
Yes I understand that, but my answer refers to the fact that although the Iridium service may be some what marginally more expensive per min than Global$hit the fact is when you consider the cost of buying a hand set and paying a monthly fee for a service that does not live up to expectations means that Globa$hit has been a very expensive service for those who bought it.
Also consider that those same people will now have to buy a new Iridium handset.

As an Iridium user I agree with you that the service has been excellent and for a few cents extra per minute its worth it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 536927

Reply By: wilko65 - Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 21:56

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 21:56
I have a 9505A iridium and cannot complain about the phone or the service in any way. I have never been unable to make a call when required. Even when in the middle of a heavy snowfall with less than 5 meters visiblity, in another country.
As stated previously..... You get what you pay for.
AnswerID: 273511

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 00:22

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 00:22
Hi Brummie, we had problems with ours when we went away last July so I contacted Glstar and they have suspended our monthly fees until January when they are suppose to have all satellites up and running and the service back to where it use to be which was fantastic, so we are waiting to see what happens in January before we take any other steps because replacing what we have for iridium would be another expense which if Glbstar comes good again would be unnecessary.

I hadn't heard of Glbstar moving over to Iridium but it would not surprise me if they did actually have a name change because of all the bad publicity which they have had since their satellites deteriorated.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 273527

Follow Up By: brummie pete - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 12:30

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 12:30
hi Dunworkin ,i always found GSAT to be very good and our last trip up north and karajini and millstream in july the phone was excellent but since coming home to perth it seems to have degraded over the last six months .
As stated on other posts is the feeling of being taken for a ride every month and not a word from Gsat to tell you the service is not quite what it should be and we will offer you a rebate or something .
pete
FollowupID: 536993

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 13:14

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 13:14
"As stated on other posts is the feeling of being taken for a ride every month and not a word from Gsat to tell you the service is not quite what it should be and we will offer you a rebate or something ."

Totally and utterly agree with you, before we left to go away I contacted Glbstar to see where they were at and I was advised that we shouldn't be more than 20 minutes without coverage so stayed with them on that advise, unfortunately we met with an emergency and had no coverage for a few hours so when we got home I contacted Glbstar and after assuring them that it was not the handset they then "generously" suspended our service until January. The only reason we are staying with them is the cost of buying into Iridium , we don't get any rebates for the phone ect. so we will see how it goes after January and make a decision from there.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 537001

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 08:58

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 08:58
You may as well use a house brick it will give you about the same coverage as Globalstar.
As for telstra you get out every time and never drop a call.
I have even made calls from under a tarp in the pouring rain.

I had the globalstar system every call was like lotto you just didn't have a chance. Some calls could take 10 attempts and you finally get out and it would drop then you start again.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 273552

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:00

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:00
Gday Brummie

In the past I have been relatvely happy with the coverage, but it is getting worse, and it seems I have usually been using it during a good time of the day (eavning) when there are a few sats about. Lately, I have tried to use it a bit during the day and it has been bad, so I'm changing my tune a bit now.

I have the qualcomm cdma/sat. it has been good having the cdma option, the calls are cheap and good reception. Its the reason I bought the phone. When the cdma network gets turned off, I will have a very expensive, unreliable phone which is not doing the job I forked out $2200.00 for. These phones are not like the general mobile, that you get alost for free on most plans, they are a long term investment in your lifestyle and safety, and should last most of your life (IMO)

I have sent a letter to G*, and will keep you posted of the outcome. Telstra are replacing CDMA phones for free, G* should be doing the same!

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 273554

Follow Up By: brummie pete - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 12:17

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 12:17
hi Andrew ,i know what you mean about the investment side of things and the phone i have is still a bloody good phone and when working is crystal clear but after reading the responses here i think im going to shift to iridium .pete
FollowupID: 536990

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:19

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:19
We use the Optus Mobilesat service and have never had a problem, on a $35.00 plan with call costs of $1.20 per minute.

The other good thing is we can plug a cordless phone in and us it in doors or with in a 400mm radius of the vehicle.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 273557

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:50

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:50
400mm? You mean eight inches?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 536966

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 18:25

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 18:25
Opps, got mixed up with the glodalstar range.......we can use our sat phone from about 400m's from the vehicle including inside buildings.
FollowupID: 537029

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 20:13

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 20:13
Opps, got mixed up with the glodalstar range.......we can use our sat phone from about 400m's from the vehicle including inside buildings.
FollowupID: 537055

Follow Up By: PeterInSA - Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 15:52

Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 15:52
Olcoolone,
Is the Optus Mobilsat similar to the Telstra Service or Globalstar ie can I use my GStar phone on the Optus service. My phone is an Ericson R290. Does Optus Molilsat have casual rates like GStar ie Fire up the Phone $200 and $35/month for x months, and callers only pay the usual mobil rates?
FollowupID: 537157

Reply By: WillyWish - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:24

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:24
I don't think that there is any such deal but it would be true to say that Globalstar is probably losing many customers to iridium whilst it's network problems continue....the problem is that most Globalstar customers are using Telit or Qualcomm hardware that can't be used with iridium so it means a new phone at about $2000 less subsidy if you can get it.

I notice that Globalstar has added feature on their website so you can work out the times when you will/won't get sat coverage for you're position. A quick look for say Karratha in WA shows a myriad of 'dead spots' ranging from a couple of minutes to 1 hour throughout a 24 hour period. That doesnt give you much confidence in the case of an emergency.

I believe Globalstar still has another 4 1st Gen satellites to launch in the next few months which should vastly inprove the coverage. I think the whole constellation is being upgraded to 2nd gen satellites in 2009/2010.

I've never had a problem with Iridium coverage however the voice quality is not as clear as globalstar (when it's working that is!).
AnswerID: 273558

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:01

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:01
I note the real problem with Globalstar hasn't been mentioned here.
We all hate paying for something that we can't use, but there's more.
The real problem is that they advertise their service as being suitable for emergency communications all over Oz.
It isn't, and hasn't been for some time.
This is false and misleading advertising.
What about Duty of Care or something ?

Bitten by a snake ? Having a heart attack ?

Try a carrier pidgeon, you'll have more luck.
AnswerID: 273567

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 21:51

Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 21:51
Interesting point you raise F'loosie. Just got to find someone who hasn't been able to get the emergency service they believe they paid for in engaging the Globalstar service. Duty of Care is what is expected these days. As a director of a company I know I am potentially liable, so as a board member you go to the n'th degree.

Do you have anyone in mind or are they all wise enough not to have gone with Globalstar?
FollowupID: 537202

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:04

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:04
Maybe all of you who live in hope that Global$hit will come good should have a read of this post by Michelle from EO.
Global$hit Issues

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 273568

Follow Up By: brummie pete - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 12:23

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 12:23
Hi john ,that is the thread i originally read about the possibility of subsidized handsts for GSAT users .i hope it comes true as i will be changing .pete
FollowupID: 536992

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 15:52

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 15:52
I am having a discussion (being polite) that I should not have to pay for a satelite phone connection when, by their own admission does not work in the south west WA. I have been unable to to disconnect as I have not filled out the correct form which they will either fax to me or email for me to print off. bit hard to do in a van and no printer. They refuse to post a copy of the form.
They were generous enough to give me a $50 credit to cover the 2 years at $90 per month that I have not had coverage. Globalstar also complained that I would not answer my phone or respond to messages. I explained that could be something to do with the fact I don't get coverage. I was informed that there was good coverage in central Australia so there was no excuse in not responding to messages.
I think an 8,000klm round trip to get a message from Globalstar would be seen as reasonable by most people.
There is good news, full coverage should be available by 2011 and they will reduce my contract price to $35 per month until that time.
I actually got good coverge for the first 6 months (in 2005) but now I have got used to not having communications.

Neil
AnswerID: 273619

Follow Up By: brummie pete - Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 00:20

Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 00:20
Is it possible to go to fair trading if they are being so pig headed ,or is fair trading only operable in Western Australia .
If i want to cancel my service i dont want this kind of drama ,its bloody ridiculous .Pete
FollowupID: 537104

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 17:39

Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 17:39
Brummie Pete,

whereabouts in B'ham are you from. My wife's long lost rellies of Aussie origin but born over there came out a year or so ago.

Look at this link you'll find out why they came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peFQWuk4nuo&feature=related
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 273630

Follow Up By: brummie pete - Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 00:04

Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 00:04
I am from Aston and we moved away from there to bournemouth on the south coast just after the race riots in Handsworth just next to aston .Moved to Aussie in 91 ,me and the OH get back for about a month every year to travel around the uk but also to catch up with the family and the place is like a WAR ZONE in areas such as Lozells,handsworth ,aston ,nechells ,wyrley birch ,its a total and utter dump full if extremists .Best thing we ever did was come to Aussie .pete
FollowupID: 537101

Follow Up By: brummie pete - Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 00:17

Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 00:17
Thanks for the video link ,its hard not to have an opinion on stuff like that but im afraid the politically correct lot would be on me like a ton of bricks .Sad times ahead for the uk methinks .pete
FollowupID: 537103

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 21:37

Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 21:37
The advantage of having an Iridium Handset is that you can get by with ZERO monthly fees, if you have a Telstra Simcard with International Roaming enabled.

Perfect if you use the phone mainly for emergencies.
AnswerID: 273799

Follow Up By: PeterInSA - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:57

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:57
Mike DID,
re the ZERO monthly fees. Could that be a Telstra Sim Card on a $10 monthly Plan tied to the Iridium Handset or a Telstra Sim card taken from another phone. If taken from another phone how does the Telstra Sat system do the link up. In other words will it work.
FollowupID: 537417

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2007 at 07:53

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2007 at 07:53
Peter

An Iridium phone will register any SIM card whose number has a way of being billed for call charges.

Telstra has set up a billing arrangement with Iridium to recognise ALL SIM cards that have International Roaming, while the satphone is within Australia (this has nothing to do with the fact that International Roaming allows you to use a Mobile Phone outside Australia).

It is not a SIM for Iridium Satelliet use - it is an ordinary Mobile phone SIM card. This is Telstra's way of providing satellite coverage over 100% of the Australian land area.
FollowupID: 537429

Follow Up By: PeterInSA - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2007 at 18:39

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2007 at 18:39
Mike R, Thanks.
My daughter on Telstra My Hour can call my GStar Sat phone via satellite at no cost to her. Is it the same with a Telstra Sim card in your Non Telstra Iridium ie no charge to the Telstra MY hour caller.

I know that there is no charge to a Telstra My Hour Caller to a Telstra Iridium Sat Phone.

Peter
FollowupID: 537542

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2007 at 23:32

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2007 at 23:32
When someone calls a Telstra number where the SIM card is an Iridium phone, the caller is still dialling a standard Mobile number 04xx xxx xxx. So the caller doesn't know whether they are calling to a Mobile or Satphone, so they can't be charged for calling a Satphone when they are just dialling a Mobile number.

i.e. the charges to the CALLER are the same whether the SIM Card is in a Mobile or a Satphone.

That's why the SIM card owner also pays about $3 per minute for INCOMING calls.
FollowupID: 537601

Follow Up By: PeterInSA - Thursday, Nov 29, 2007 at 12:19

Thursday, Nov 29, 2007 at 12:19
Mike R, Thanks
I am interested in the Iridium just in case I get off G/Star currently (as of July 07) G/Star users do not pay for incoming calls, so my daughter could call me in her my hour with no cost for either of us.
But as a casual user it costs $200 to fire up the G/Star phone every year and $35/month while we are away. This year we paid no fire up cost because of the service problems. For this sort of money you and your Iridium can make and receive quiet a few calls.

Peter
FollowupID: 537684

Reply By: Member - Ian M (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 27, 2007 at 14:57

Tuesday, Nov 27, 2007 at 14:57
I just called Golbalstar and checked on the latest.
After trying to "sell" me on the new constellation coming in a coup of years (too late for me!) and the interim patches (not good enough for me) I was told that in February they will be mailing out an offer to existing subscribers for a handset buy back subsidy and change to Iridium. Keep Globalstar number, and call plan and have full Iridium service. No details of the buy back $ yet though. I will wait and see - what's another couple of months - having the business call me on normal priced mobile calls to a good service is ideal for me!! (I can't see that Iridium offers that now)

IAN
AnswerID: 273888

Follow Up By: brummie pete - Tuesday, Nov 27, 2007 at 18:32

Tuesday, Nov 27, 2007 at 18:32
I have rang them today and they have put me on suspension rate of $11 per month untill 14 february 2008 then the iridium offer should be in place .The person advised me that it will be atruly global phone but at a cheaper rate than telstra .We will see .
pete
FollowupID: 537312

Sponsored Links