Looking for a Hike tent

Submitted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 19:41
ThreadID: 5201 Views:1509 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've been looking for a lightweight tent. I realise I can pay from $40.00 to about $2000.00. Coleman seem to produce several good ones around $200.00. Anyone have any feedback on them? They have a proofing to 2000mm. How does that compare to others? I Have seen some of the cheaper ones with ratings of 800mm but haven't seen any higher than 2000mm. I assume it means 2000mm (8inches) before it leaks but anyone with experience in this who could verify that that's what it means in real terms? Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lockie - Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 20:05

Saturday, May 31, 2003 at 20:05
Hi Mick. Iwouldn't have a clue regards 2000mm rating vs 800mm, but I can tell you that in the real world, 2000mm is 2 metres, which is well over 8 inches!!

However, Colemans tents are well made products, if a little pricey. I was looking around for a single man hiker tent myself recently, and almost bought the "Hiker 2" before going a different way. As with most things, you get what you pay for, & the better tents are always going to be better made and have a longer life span.

You didn't mention where you were going to use it, and this will also play a part in the selection process. Personally, I've always gone for a mid-range product, made sure I looked after it, and always had many years of service as a result. The other thing is to make sure you don't erect it in hollows; always find some high ground, and always run a shallow trench around the tent to provide drainage should rain become incessant or heavy.

Best of luck,

AnswerID: 21517

Reply By: duncs - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 16:09

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 16:09

The 2000 or 800 is a rating on hte density of the weave in the material that the tent is made from. The higher the number the tighter the weave and the more waterproof the tent.

You definately do get what you pay for here. I own a Carribee 4 man dome about 4kg with poles. It takes me about 5min to erect is pretty well totaly waterproof and stands up incredibly well in strong winds. But it is showing its age. My brother baught a Macpac a couple of years before i baught mine his goes up a bit quicker is about as good as mine in the wind and rain but is lasting much better and gets heaps more use.

Just a couple of things to look for 1) ALuminium poles are lighter and stronger than glass. They also have smooth joints when the poles are put together, this makes it easier to erect the tent. I have had a few breakages with the glass poles my brother has had none o the aluminium. 2) A four pole dome (geodesic) is much better in the wind and snow ie if the snow piles up on hte tent a 4 pole will stand longer than a 2. 3)Look for a single sleeve for each pole mine has four and the poles hook up as I feed them through.

Despite the fact that my brothers tent is much better than mine I am very happy with what I have got. It was much much cheeper. I was very lucky to get it at the price.

Go to a specialist bushwalking outlet and good luck.
AnswerID: 21558

Reply By: Peter - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 07:54

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 07:54
If you are looking for Backpacking tents then it really depends on how many people, vestibules what whether etc.

We use a salewa leone. 3.2 kg, 2 person tent and is rated 3.5 season the floor has 10,000 mm water colum proofing and the fly 8,000 mm We have used from snow to beach to desert and has preformed verry well they are currently $600 but you get what you pay for.

Seam sealing is important as this is where most of your leaks will occur.

the rating you talk about is a water comlum pressure test. basically this is the leak test.

Things to look out for from my perspective are
Tub floor, good size vestibule for storage and cooking in foul whether, Doors the do not fall to the floor(they get trampled with mud dirt etc. Intergral pitch or outer can be erected first. alloy poles.
We also use a plastic ground sheet to protect the floor from rocks and pointy bits.

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 21593

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (1)