school education

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 16:52
ThreadID: 5214 Views:1926 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My husband and I and our three boys aged 5,7 and 8 are planning an trip around australia next year.I are having trouble on how best to maintain our childrens schooling while traveling-in the hope that they will not need to repeat the year at school.I have done a little research on this but have not found any thing that seems satisfactory.I am sure other people have did this sort of trip and have maintained schooling,I would like to hear whar they have done.
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:09

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:09
gday jacqui
contact the school of the air or the education deptment for home school courses & coriculm
regards Bruce
AnswerID: 21562

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:44

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:44
Jacqui,

In Qld, what used to be Correspondence School is now called School of Distance Education. Some of the Schools of the Air are now called Distance Ed. too, but thankfully a few have stuck with tradition, and still call themselves SOTA.

We had a family here last year, for 2 months, building a new steel yard, and their 3 children all did lessons provided by Dist. Ed. in Brissy. Need to devote some hours each day for lessons. Good luck. Hooroo...

AnswerID: 21565

Reply By: chopper - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:48

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 17:48
Some good suggestions from Bruce there.

Have you made an appt with the principal or deputy of the school to talk it over with them.
You wouldn't post here asking for advice on a rash or growth, you'd see a doctor, education is not a DIY industry, talk to the school, these are the people that you have entrusted with the education of your children.
Hear what they have to say and go from there.

If you have talked to the school and gotten no satisfaction then start shopping for another school, and get another opinion from professionals.

my 2c as a school teacher, do it, they'll learn more from a trip around this great country than I could ever hope to do in a classroom.

Good Luck
AnswerID: 21566

Follow Up By: Member - NOBBY - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 19:04

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 19:04
We lived in a very remote area in Qld for 5 years and had our smallest enroled in School of the Air from Mt Isa. While it was most satisfactory we found that after 4 years she was a little behind other kids, but as Chopper says she learnt more about life than any city kids. We were loaned a Codan vhf ( I think) and handed it back after we were finished. Go for it!
FollowupID: 14065

Reply By: tristjo - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 19:17

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 19:17
A few years back, I was a student with The Brisbane School of Distance Education, and must say that the support and resources that were made available were second to none. It was a very effective way to get an education, being able to learn "my way" to an extent, ie: being able to choose when and where I studied, and the way in which I completed the tasks required. One thing I will say, is that it does require alot of motivation, and self discipline.

Anyway, I would make some enquiries into SDE, as I think you will find, there are so many lessons in life to be learnt when you are travelling, and this kind of experience could do nothing but benifit your children.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip.
Tristjo.
AnswerID: 21570

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 20:45

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 20:45
Jacqui, we had done the same thing 12 years ago with 4 children. We took on an Australian based homeshooling ciriculum, through a company which was based in Victoria. After travelling we stayed on with homeschooling from home here, making it flexible enough to go away at any time without worrying about schooling. We are now proud to say our 4 kids are now adults and in top positions in well paid jobs, and never had a problem finding work, with certificates and resumes we had set up for them. Just remember education is life, and who should be the best teacher is the parents, as you know them better than anyone. Whatever you do, find a system that will support you as well as the kids. Cheers Jen
FollowupID: 14077

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:32

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:32
"One thing I will say, is that it does require alot of motivation, and self discipline. "

I think this would be the biggest problem for me...
FollowupID: 14094

Reply By: Andrew - Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 23:45

Sunday, Jun 01, 2003 at 23:45
jacqui

We are travelling for four months commencing late Sept which means our 6 and 7 year olds will miss the last term.

Don't know how long your kids will miss but we took a serious look at this question before making our decision

One of our best friends is a school principal. He was of the belief, as was the childrens teachers, that they would learn far more out and about than in the class at their age. The teachers agreed the children should keep a diary on the trip to record the places visited and main events of the day. For the little ones this can be achieved with pictures, questions from mum and dad who could then give the diary entry a title to help prompt the kids (or the teachers) later on their return to school.

Just the whole experience, asking the kids about what they learned the day before, drawing similarities etc etc will be priceless I think. You would know that they're like sponges at that age and soak up so much.

hope this helps
AnswerID: 21589

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:36

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:36
Jacqui,

You haven't said how long you are going for, but if it is only for 3 months or so, I would not worry about the childrens educational needs. They will learn more on the trip if you involve them with planning, learning about the areas they are in, organising 'tasks' for them. If the children are in the Public School system, they have no right to enforce the children repeating if you want them to go up to the next level. As long as they are reading and do some kind 'project' work then you will be fine. When I was five my family went around Australia for 3 months (this included my sister 3 and brother 7 and we returned to school more enlightened than our peers.

Have fun on the trip, the effect on the children will be more rewarding.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 21596

Reply By: Member - Dave- Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 20:58

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 20:58
Jacqui,

We have one kid in high school, two not. Will be away for one term. approached his school who said, go and have fun, he will learn more on trip than school. However he will be keeping a daily dairy etc. but for his maths he will be working kilometres per litre, Litres/100 klms, how far w can travel on tanks, look at the map and work out were we have to buy our next fuel etc, yours a bit young for this but you can always teach history, geography etc without them really knowing. the other two will do a lot a travelling like this its only the last few years of high school I think you should not interupt.

Our friends sister did it for two years through distane education and ended up stopping for a while and put the kids into a school for interaction with other kids due to time away. You have not said how long you are going for but a short time I wouldn't worry, longe time can't help.
AnswerID: 21664

Sponsored Links