extra fuel filters GQ 4.2D

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:27
ThreadID: 5226 Views:1488 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I have a GQ trayback diesel with factory duel tanks. For those of you familiar with these there are two solenoids located near the front tank which control which tanks does what. The problem is that the small internal workings are getting clogged with gunk from the tank leading me to believe some unreal fuel economy from the 1 tank until i change tanks and relise the other is only 3/4 full and is being drawn upon at the same time

Can i use small in line fuel filters between the tank and the solenoids to remove this material? generally it is grit and small flakes of steel

This would also put less requirements on my main filter increasing time betwenn changes? as the small inline a considerably cheaper to replace often

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 13:32

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 13:32
G'day Crowe,

If your fuel problem is as bad as you say, I feel you'll get little joy from the inline filters, they are just too small to last too long. How about dropping the offending tanks out, and flushing them out, or even getting them professionally cleaned. Otherwise you could try 2 of the Lucas/CAV water trap filters, the elements are only $5 - 8 each.

A mistake some people make is to use every last drop out of their tanks. This sucks up all the gunk from the base of the tank, giving thse sorts of probs. Caterpillar recommends refuelling once the tank gets to 10% capacity, this is a good guideline for any diesel.

As an alternative to removing the tanks, you could leave a few litres in each, take for a lively drive somewhere, then drain all fuel out. Doing this 2 or 3 times may remove a lot of the gunk. Good luck, hooroo...

AnswerID: 21605

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 16:57

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 16:57
I do exactly as you are suggesting in the transfer line between the aux tank and the main- the small in line filters are cheap and easy to replace...
It works for me!
AnswerID: 21633

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:55

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:55
Yes, I had exactly the same trouble with a 75 series Toyota once. The problem nearly left me stranded along the Madigan Line, with a tank near empty that I thought was still full! The inline replacables will do the job, that is exactly what they are designed for. Just remember to change them often and especially prior to each big trip. Make it a regular serfvice item and you should not get caught again.Despite frequent removal and cleaning on the bench, my solenoid valves would still "act up" when in hot, dry desert conditions. I suspect the heat and fuel pressure has something to do with fuel slipping past the "o" ring seals within the solenoid taps.
AnswerID: 21715

Sponsored Links