National 4wd Radio Network

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 523 Views:2140 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are interested in joining the 4wd Radio Network, as we are doing more and more remote travel. I'd like some advice from those who use the service on 1) Do you need all frequecies? (I have an old HF radio that can only have 10 frequencies) 2) Do you still need RFDS frequencies as well, or would just having the National 4wd network frequencies suffice in an emergency?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alex - Thursday, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:00
hi Steve, I use the network, and I have all the frequencies, but the only one I use is number 2, which is 8022khz. All the bases I contact, Perth, Sandstone, and Alice Springs have listening/reporting times on this channel, so the others don't get much use. You could probably get away with just this channell, unless your local base doesn't use it. You can use the network to contact the RFDS in an emergency (I think), but I have the RFDS frequencies as well, just to be sure. Here in WA, there are only 2 frequencies that they use (5300khz and 5360khz), so the limited list of your radio shouldn't be a problem.
Hope this solves your dilemma, and next time you hear Whisky511 on the network, give me a call and say G'day. Cheers, Alex.
AnswerID: 1358

Reply By: Nigel - Thursday, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:00

You can choose to have all or just some of the frequencies. As Alex said 8022 is the most used one, but if you are in really remote areas then the higher frequencies will be useful to get extra distance during the day. The lower frequencies are most useful at night. All VKS737 bases have direct access to RFDS in Jandakot (WA) and Broken Hill (NSW), but it wouldn't hurt to have some RFDS frequencies as well is you have the space. With only 10 channels I would suggest having the 5 VKS737 frequencies, and 4 of the most useful RFDS frequencies (depending on where you travel regularly) and lasly I'd have 2020, the australia wide RFDS night frequency. But consider what is available on the antenna you have or intend to buy before you change your frequencies (unless you are going to splash out on an autotuner).
AnswerID: 1364

Reply By: Steve ( the real Steve) - Thursday, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:00

If you are interested in the best communications people suggest you contact Ken Metcalfe at Alice Springs phone: 08-8952-3479 fax: 08-8953-5221 who is more than likely the best in the business and who will probably delight in assisting you-- Ken is probably the person you will hear most over the waves...as the operator of AN4WDRNetwork Ken is highly respected by all who have had the pleasure of listening to and contacting on this world class network !! sorry but this is a fantastic community effort that commands respect from all who travel in the ouback.

Steve (the real Steve)
AnswerID: 1366

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2001 at 01:00
Steve (the un-real one?)- I am no expert on his matter but be aware that installing new frequencies will cost money (+$60/channel for crystal radios) - check which frequencies are currently on your radio - you may be surprised to find that a few RFDS frequencies are already there. In my opinion, with respect to the 4WD network, 8022kHz will serve you well on its own.
Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 1424

Sponsored Links