Tyres Again

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 14:54
ThreadID: 5230 Views:3864 Replies:10 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Pirelli A/T v's BFG's v's Cooper S/T v's other.

I currently have Pirelli A/T's 31x10.5x15 have done 45000 k's and have proved fairley good off road as well as great wet weather traction and almost nil road noise.Looking to replace soon with 32x11.5x15.

any thoughts and/or comments on brands and tyre life/performance.
live life to the full!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geoff - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:18

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 15:18
Hi Scotti I have just goon down that track and I got the Pirelli's as you said they are great in the wet and very quit as well. The cost made my mind up with bfg at $270, cooper's $250 and Pirelli's at $200 and cooper would only give me a guarantee of 50000k's anyway.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 21618

Follow Up By: ray91 - Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 20:20

Monday, Jun 02, 2003 at 20:20
Big NO to Bfg anything but
FollowupID: 14122

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 22:34

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 22:34
Ray

Why the big NO to BFG's

I'm in the myself at the moment and tossing between BFG and Coopers
FollowupID: 14290

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 23:32
Andrew , I concur with Ray' sentiments. Previous posts will explain all and it is a common sentiment of late
FollowupID: 14300

Reply By: stevesub - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 07:10

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 07:10
Our 78 Series came with Bridgestone Desert Dueller AT tyres and we have been more than happy with them. Quiet, good on road in the wet and dry, OK off road. They are not my first chice in tyre (in fact they were may last choice) but have suprised me as to how they are going.

Tyre wear - too early to tell. Would I replace the tyres with Desert Dueller again, if I had to do 4 tyres, I would probably go for Cooper mud tyres which in my experience in New Zealand are great on and off road.
AnswerID: 21686

Reply By: Member - David - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:51

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:51
I also am very happy with the 693 Bridgestone. The only vehicle not to have tyre probs. last years outback trip (all the 'you beaut' bfg & coopers failed miserably), and we were all very concious of pressures. The Bridgestone is a good road tyre- good gravel/sand tyre- not the ideal muddie. But for value for bucks and all round tyre...good. 46000k so far and still looking very good. I do a tyre rotation every 5000k- rear to front...and cross over the ones off the front to the back.A bad days sailing sure beats a good day at work
AnswerID: 21710

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:37

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:37
gday david.
you must be one of the lucky peole as far as 693 go .
i work in bridgestone tyre store and the 693 are absalute rubish.
ive seen them do 22000ks on gu never been of road.
average life we see at work would be 40000ks.
even though we suposed to push there product i wouldnt sell them to my worst enemy.looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 14192

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 22:44

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 22:44
I got the Bridgestone duelers on my GU. ABSOLUTE CRAP

I'm with you Diamond. I've done 24,000k's, no off road yet and rooted.

As for pressures...from new I ran all 4 at 38. when I noticed the wear at 10,000 rotation, I dropped to 32 while unloaded. No difference, tread just keeps disappearing, more from the centre than edges but wearing all over terribly.

NEVER AGAIN
FollowupID: 14292

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:48

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:48
Contrary to the other respondents, I have had a bleep run out of the Bridges. I will say though, that with constant rotation and balancing I did get a usable 60,000kms out of them as road tyres. But sadly, they prooved too vulnerable to shoulder staking when off the beaten track. BFG's are not the tyre the used to be, I firmly believe that the current crop of AT's are overated. I have had Pirelli's many years ago, again fine on road, punctures all the time off-road. Coopers seem to be the Rolls Royce at the moment, although do not write off the Kelly range of USA tyres, just as tough and average about $50 per tyre cheaper.
AnswerID: 21714

Follow Up By: Member - Scotti - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 13:01

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 13:01
I have had my Prelli's probably 20mths now . Been all over countryside and numourous camping in all sorts of terrain from mud to sand to rocks.
So far(touch wood)not even a puncture.So far checking responses maybe I should stick with what I have. I have been trying to look into Kelly tyres though.Do you know of a website with specs and performance/comparison tests.live life to the full!!!!
FollowupID: 14173

Follow Up By: desert - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 14:09

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 14:09
Scotti, I've been unable to find a web site for the Kelly tyres, however, all Tyrepower stores are Kelly agaents. They have a fold out brochure which shows the different 4x4 tyres and their applications. I reckon, they are underated , probably due to their lack of advertising. I notice now that they also offer a written mileage(kilometerage?) warranty on some of their styles. I reackon they are as tough as Coopers but at $50 per tyre less, got to be a bargain.
FollowupID: 14421

Reply By: The Moose - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 13:50

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 13:50
Coopers are certainly worth considering because of the guarantee. If you have larger/wider tyres you get the full 80,000 km guarantee and I can assure you that it is genuine. Not sure what they offer on the 31x10.5x15s - give them a call. I've used the guarantee a few times because I have never yet reached 80,000 km from a set (not just Coopers mind you). That guarantee certainly makes the replacement tyres a lot cheaper. However of all the Coopers I've used the STs have been the worst - not from a wear perspective but they lose chuncks of rubber from the edges when off-roading. It's to do with the design and they are aware of it. If you only drive on the road they may be OK (but then you'd be better off with a road pattern) but anywhere off-road where you get any wheel spin they will shed lumps of rubber. I've done about 35,000 kms and they look pretty crappy. Still plenty of tread in the centre but the edges are woeful!
AnswerID: 21727

Follow Up By: Graeme - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:17

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:17
Aren't Coopers bringing out a STC tyre that has modified sypes to stop/reduce loosing bits of tyres.

Has anyone looked at Goodyear Wrangler MTR's? Good reports on & off road (& in the wet).

Pirelli's are an ATR aren't they? Limited off-road value in my experience.
FollowupID: 14184

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:31

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:31
The Goodyear MTR is a fantastic Tyre for those looking at touring, with a strong sidewall, aggressive tread pattern and high mileage.

It is our tyre of choice at Offroader for our longer trips....

FollowupID: 14221

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:35

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:35
Wranglers work for me although some do comment on road noise. Haven't yet worked out how a tyre is noisy myself so no probs at all for me.
Was after Coopers at the time but after seeing MTR's and getting a great price then it was an easy decision as I really need the sidewall strength.
FollowupID: 14227

Reply By: Phil G - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:40

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:40
A bought a set of Goodyear MTRs (265/75R16). The BFGs have been chipping out badly. The Cooper S/T have been loosing chunks on the outside of their tread.

Only done a couple of thousand k's so far, but includes 3 weekends of offroading. I'm very impressed. For an aggressive looking tyre, they are very very quiet, and they grip very well when crawling offroad. No tread damage at all from offroading. Supposed to be good for the 80,000km, but we'll see.

They also have the 3-ply construction for puncture resistance.

Phil G
AnswerID: 21754

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 23:36

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 23:36
Interested to hear your opinion of them in sand Phil.
I have done 15K thus far and more than happy but think they're lacking in soft sand. Have let them down to 10psi without any problems though and haven't been stuck but noticed the temp gauge off the scale (never, ever happened before) on a not so hot, windy day at the beach. Turned the a/c off and all was fine but she's definitely working harder.
FollowupID: 14301

Follow Up By: Phil G - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:09

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:09
Thanks for the feedback Allyn. I'll be doing some sand driving next month and a desert trip the following month, so we'll see how it goes. My previous tyres were BFG Muddies and they were surprisingly good in sand. It seemed to me that any tyre is OK in sand, provied you let enough air out.
FollowupID: 14314

Reply By: Wil - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:17
Saw the new Super Swampers AT Catalogue with the Triangular patterns. Any comment on those? How are they priced?
AnswerID: 21764

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:39

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:39
I think you refer to the Interco Trxus STS AT

[ View Image]

These are a weird tyre... They come in a Lot of sizes (up to 44" which i have seen, it is big!)

We suspect the will be a good sand tyres, but , the tread compound is soft, and the tread not aggressive at all...

I personally have the Interco Trxus Mud Terrain (285/75/16) on my KZJ120 Prado. They have been excellent so far, for an aggressive mud terrain which can be driven on the road happily. They have the same Interco construction of the swamper, and the sidewalls are about 1/2 an inch thick. the tyres physically weight HEAPS, theres a lot of rubber in them.
[ View Image]

oh, FWIW, i use a LOT of different 4wd tyres, purchasing a new set every 2-3 months... and I always buy something different to try....

everyday use I prefer the ProComp Xterrain, .... long trips, the Goodyear MTR , and a hard weekend in the bush, Interco Swampers... but the Trxus might be my new weekend tyre... as it drives a lot better on the road..
FollowupID: 14222

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:41

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:41
Forgot the price .... Roughly $380-400 a tyre, in 285/75/16

Cheap really, when you could the number of BFG's etc that have been have had sidewalls destroyed, and are useless after the first 15,000 kms ...

Steve
FollowupID: 14223

Reply By: Member - Waynepd - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:42
Hi Scotti,
I have the Cooper S/t's on my GU. 265/75/16

They are great on road wet or dry, probably a little noisier than an AT tyre.
I have never been stuck yet offroad with them, sand, mud or rocks
I rotate them every oil change at 5000k's and have the tyre place look them over as well for any alignment probs.

last week the guy at the tyre place had a look at them and said they are about half worn now. I have put around 48,000 k's on them and they are still looking good. I will be using them again next time though i plan to go up to the 285/75/16.
now that i have a suspension lift they look a little strange, kinda like skateboard wheels :)

I have been reading about the bits of rubber that are supposed to be flying off coopers but i haven't had this problem at all. maybe its the driver not the tyres that are at fault in these cases.

my 2 cents worth
happy hunting
wayne

%
%:-)
%
AnswerID: 21769

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:49

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:49
gday wayne.
the problem people are having with the s/t taking chunks of is there trying to use an s/t where they should be using a tyre more dedicated to full on rock climbing and also leaving there preasures to high and spinning there wheels while climbing rocks.
i have just replaced my s/t .they had done 35000ks.stil had 10mm tread left on them.sold them second hand for $150 each could have sold 5 sets at that.looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 14309

Follow Up By: ray91 - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 19:51

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 19:51
I agree with Wayne , maybe the driver with the S/T Coopers mine are fine,( Why are the wheels spinning on rocks) back off the go pedal and try another way . I think the K/O on the new BFG stands for Krap/Ola . I had a set 32x11.5x15 with more holes in the sidewalls than a tetley teabag.
FollowupID: 14376

Reply By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:55

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:55
Ok, you can see from the few follow ups above, 4wd Tyres has become a passion for me...

'What tyres should i get' is along the lines of 'what 4wd is best' or 'is diesel better than petrol' etc etc

It all comes down to finding what is best for YOU , with what YOU want to do with it.

In the last 18 months i have ran the following tyres:

Nissan GU Patrol
BFG Mud Terrain 285/75/16
Cooper ST 255/85/16
Procomp Xterrain 315/75/16 (35")
Interco Super Swamper Q78 (36x10.5x16)

Prado GX 3.0 Tdi (kzj120)
Interco Trxus Mud Terrain (285/75/16)
Goodyear GrandTrek (225/70/17)

All the tyres i would classify as 'good', given that you use them for what they are designed for.

E.g.

The Swampers were NOISEY (you could hear me coming from over 1 km away!) they drove terrible, shake the car and wear FAST (don't expect more than 15-20,000 from a set) and cost then $500 each new. (around $395 now)

BUT they were a true offroad tyre, and aired down to 8-12 psi (were fitted to BeadLocked rims), in the Vic High Country they did their stuff, and worked EXTREMELY well.

I had the Coopers at the same time, and was helping with a Navigation event at the time, helping scout out the course etc, so managed to do the course over 2 weekends, once on the coopers once on the Swampers. I got stuck one or 2 places with the coopers which the swampers breezed through, I also found i had to drive harder with the Coopers fitted to avoid not getting through, the swampers just cruised on through.

The Coopers were GREAT on the road, handling, light steering, and worked well in gravel. I was surprised on a day trip to the woods point area how well they worked in mud and wet dirt roads, the only let down was the Chipping of the Sidelugs...

The BFG's i don't rate too well, they don't seem to work well after the first 15,000-20,000 and i have torn a few sidewalls (which make them VERY expensive tyres to run)

The ProComp Xterrains are my tyre of choise for an All rounder.
Being the best by far for on road handling, in both wet and dry, bgravel / dirt roads and work Really well inthe mud. They also love to be aired down when offroad to get their full potential. They are a bit pricey, but well worth their $$, and Allan Mc won the 2002 Outback Challenge with a set, competing with Simex and Swamper/ Baja Claw shod trucks...

The Interco Trxus are still new, only having done 3500 km's so far. they have been exceptional quiet onroad for a VERY aggressive mud terrain, and the construction is Solid. With strong thick sidewalls, i doubt very much you could puncture one of these easily. The Side Lugs (which most swampers have) are the key to their success, working really well offroad. They are a little slippery in wet roads, but care must be taken with all Mud Terrains. I am yet to try them offroad (they are being reviewed weekend in the Vic High Country fitted to our Technical Editors vehicle for the weekend.)

FWIW, i have Simex Tubes fitted to the Trxus, to allow for running low pressures, and avoid breaking the bead and losing air in a sudden rush. Just atip to fit the tyres with no soap if doing this, as the soap can cause the tyre to spin on the rim.
I will be fitting Secondair internal Beadlocks soon.

feel free to shoot me any questions... steven @ offroader.com.au

enough rambling for now...
AnswerID: 21803

Reply By: Member - David - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:28

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:28
I guess it's a case of different stokes for different folks. There is not a tyre (or any product really) that will do everything for everyone- and that includes fridges, vehicles, suspension etc.. My comments on my Bridgestones are what work for me. They heve done the Canning- Central Oz- Simpson- Oodnadatta/Birdsville-Flinders etc etc areas with NO probs. I do not do 'extreme' 4WDing or bashing thru mudbaths just for fun. I do a lot of long distance outback off road genuine touring.
If you are lookin for a good off road touring tyre, check out the pile of "stuffed' tyres behind the Pink Roadhouse or Innaminka Tyre Shop to see wot NOT to use. Heaps of BFGs & Coopers in the stacks....so nuthin is invunnerable.A bad days sailing sure beats a good day at work
AnswerID: 21805

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:54

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:54
You sure the numbers of BFG and Coopers are due to being more popular?

As in , if 5 times as many cars have BFGs, would you expect 5 times the failures of 'unavoidable punctures'?

But I agree.... BFG aren't much Chop when it comes to 4wd tyres these days... Too many other Good tyres in the market place... Procomp, Interco, Good year to name a few ...

A collegue has Bridgestone Mt's on his 4.2 GU, and he has had some great success with them so far...

FollowupID: 14229

Sponsored Links