Perth To Broome

Submitted: Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 00:32
ThreadID: 52328 Views:7689 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I wish to drive to Broome from Perth, in the shortest possible time. Would I be better to travel from Newan via Pt Hedland or from Newman Via Marble Bar and the old mining town of Shay Gap.

I know this depends on the weather which will alter the road conditions, but for this exercise lets say the roads are all open. The black top might be longer but at the end of the day would it be quicker.

Thank you in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 00:40

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 00:40
Mate who lived in Port Hedland always said the inland route is quickest but less available fuel. He used to do PH to Perth non stop in 14hrs Broome is a fair way North of there so allow 18- 20hrs non stop.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 275400

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 01:01

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 01:01
take the bitumen - You might do it quicker on the dirt but all it will take is one of the road trains which are evr increasing o this road on a still morning and you will be held up. Roads fine if you are taking it easy but there are a few traps for speedsters. Ive seen a telstra ute roll just from getting caught out on a corner a bit fast. You will also get sucked in to driving too fast then next thing a creek will be infront of you and as you are heading down nto it braking wont help probably ending in you launching the vehicle.
if you dont know the road it could be a trap if your trying to fly down it
AnswerID: 275402

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 01:50

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 01:50
the road newman to marble bar is nice, but not a fast road. Newman to PH is nice also in a different way.
Stick to the blacktop if really time is critical.
AnswerID: 275406

Reply By: k9 - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 07:10

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 07:10
2005 ... Broome - Perth, was in a hurry, took me 36 hours, via Great Northern Hwy with just a couple hours sleep along the way .... in a 80 series towing a camper trailer.
Never again.
Take your time, mate
AnswerID: 275421

Reply By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 08:01

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 08:01
Locals up here in Pt Hedland go the inland route through Newman and Meeka if they are pressed for time.

Stick to the main highways, open bitumen roads that are easy to overtake trucks.

Most important thing: be safe. If you have an accident, or work car too hard and it breaks down, then the extra couple of hours you gain from pushing along will be lost very easily.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 275428

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 08:20

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 08:20
Gooday,
My theory is that if you need to get there in such a hurry take an aeroplane, safer for everybody.

Ducjing for cover.
Cheers,
Boroma 604.
AnswerID: 275436

Reply By: Member - Rotord - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 08:41

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 08:41
Two big problems , fatigue , and cattle on the road between Port Hedland and Broom at night . Leave Perth at 5AM , and Motel it at Newman . Leave Newman 7AM and you will do the next leg in about 11 hours . Two drivers are far better than one . Taking two days in daylight is hard enough . Mix in some fatigue and night driving and you will be in danger . Black top only .
AnswerID: 275444

Reply By: Member - Dave T (WA) - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:39

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:39
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate all the safety and driving advice.

I probably should have written the first post a bit differently, what I was chasing was the actual distance and time saved between the 2 different routes driving at speeds that the conditions dictate. From Shay Gap it would be a straight line drive up the Boreline Rd until it meets the bitumen again.

With 2 drivers I thought that maybe we could leave Perth very early in the morning and make it to Marble Bar for the night. Then the next day it would be a comfortable drive to Broome. This might be a bit optimistic. I'm not out to break any records.
AnswerID: 275457

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:57

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:57
Hello - I estimate the difference in distance between Newman to Broome via PH (~1030km) and Newman to Broome via Shay Gap (~880Km) to be roughly about 150 to 180km plus or minus 20km. So in reality they would probably work out pretty much the same time wise...if nothing goes to wrong (which it probably wont) - as mentioned if you get stuck behind a truck on the way to Marble Bar the equation could change for the worse, but the same can happen on the PH Road - this road is heaviliy used by road trains. I would actually recommend going the Shay gap way and take it slighly easier (ie drive to conditions) - more fun,. Havent worked out fuel stops - you may have to duck up to Pardoo - not sure.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 539171

Follow Up By: Member - Dave T (WA) - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 10:35

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 10:35
Thanks Greg, makes life a whole lot simpler if I had written the correct post in the first place. I figured filling up at Newman then if need be at Sandfire.

FollowupID: 539182

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 10:56

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 10:56
Its 12 hours from perth to newman. the first bit og the GNH is slow due to the hills and trucks but you can really make up for lost time after Cue . Fill up at Capricorn to avoid having to back track from newman to the marble bar turn off.
Thr road should be in good condition as after the wet season the graders would have graded out the creeks and they have upgraded a few crossings. with west angeles and Wedgetail in construction phase this road i reckon will be seeing alot of trucks.
Its 180k to nullagine which should take just over 2 hours.
Wegtail own the pub there and if they have construction cranking i dunno if there will be anwhere to stay - you would have to ring ahead.
Its another 120k to MB of which i dont know the road but it would be dark by now so watch out for cattle
FollowupID: 539188

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:17

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:17
Roe/Great Northern to Broome PO 2155Klm ...via Pt Hedland
Roe/Great Northern to Broome PO 2153Klm ...via Marble Bar
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 275483

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 14:40

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 14:40
Hello Doug - you missed the turn off to Shay Gap after Marble Bar in you calcs - this is where the saving of about 180km can be made. Looks like your Kms relate to the route via Marble Bar to the GNH near Strelley. This route essentially parrallels the GNH between Newman and Port Hedland so it is no surprise the distances you have given are very similar.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 539228

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 14:45

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 14:45
Greg
Yep your right, I seen the loop when I made the route with Mapsource but had other things on my mind , so quickly posted it and had to go,

#
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 539230

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 14:56

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 14:56
No worries Doug just thought Id clarify situation in case it caused confusion. Was actually up Shay Gap way twice this year. The photo from Cundaline Ridge in my gallery is actually just near there - and shows view over DeGrey River in rough direction of Marble Bar (I have incorrectly labelled picture "looking north" but its looking south east)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 539232

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 14:03

Friday, Dec 07, 2007 at 14:03
With 2 drivers go up the coast - stay at Pt Samson for the night, catch a Barra in the harbour first thing in the morning, then an easy 8 hrs the following day to Broome followed by Barra burgers that night....

Easy!!
AnswerID: 275496

Sponsored Links