Flinders Must see's

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 15:24
ThreadID: 5255 Views:2482 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We have only 2 days to check out the Flinders Ranges as we are passing thru from Marree enroute from WA . Like the sound of the SkyTrek, (reading the tour promo’s) but it is a full day. Also plan on a countery at the Parachilna pub. I imagine everyone has their favourite Flinders spot/s but would welcome suggestions on must see’s.

We will be in the Jack and have 2 daughters (8 & 12 y/o farm kids) who are fit, walking wise, but we don’t really want to spend half a day getting to and from a scenic lookout, unless it is absolutely un-missable.

I’ve read a fair bit but as with most tourist blurbs, everything is worth seeing and mustn’t be missed. :~)

We have the “Hema Flinders Ranges” map and guide, purchased of course from the excellent ExplorOz Shop.

Thanks. Looking forward to your replies.

SK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pedro (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 15:43

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 15:43
Howdy skippyking,
Returned from Flinders Ranges a few weeks ago. Skytrek is well worth a visit. If you stop and look at every point along the way it will take you about 6hrs. We did it in 4hrs felt we missed nothing out and were very impressed. Great 4x4ing and wonderful sights of the whole area. A must is a drive through one of the many gorges. Perhaps after luch at the Parachilna Pub off through Parachilna Geroge to Brachina Gorge down the hwy till you hit the Moralana scenic drive, which would bring you back to stay at Wilpena or Rawnsley Park. But then again Arkaroola is pretty impressive! Sorry. Hope this helps.
Have a great time.
PedroCounting the sleeps!!
AnswerID: 21733

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 15:45

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 15:45
Skip,

Are you heading to Parachilna directly from Maree or just as part of your look around the Flinder's?

Wilpena Pound is a must in my opinion. The walk into the pound (and the lookouts)from the Resort is only short and well worth it.

Arkaroola is also worth a visit, but if you are limited for time, and depending on your route, might not be possible. Same for Wilpena. Leigh Creek Mine will be worth a poke around.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 21734

Reply By: Pipeliner - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 17:37

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 17:37
If you don't want to spend all day at Skytrek there is another good track at Arkaba Station - costs $30 payable at Wilpena Visitor Centre. Arkaba is about 15-20km south of Wilpena off the Hawker road. Track will take you 2-3 hours and has some interesting parts and some great views.

Or from Parachilna, head towards Parachilna Gorge, then turn north and there's a track through Moolooloo Station up to an old copper mine.
AnswerID: 21745

Reply By: Brad - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:26

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:26
In the Flinders 12 months ago. My 2 cents worth:
1. Any of the gorges are great. The furthur north you are (near Arkaroola) the better they are.
2. Italowie gap which you drive thru from Leigh Creek to Arkaroola is stunning. Stop and have a cuppa there.
3.Parachilna pub is over-priced and over-rated. The best food and grog we had was at the bistro at Wilpena.
Regards,
Brad.
AnswerID: 21751

Reply By: Member - Rick - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 22:59

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 22:59
Skippyking,

Pretty tough ask - the best of the Flinders in 2 days. Nothing wrong with the other suggestions, but here's my two bob's worth. Bit of driving, but this will give you a good grasp of the lie of the land. Plan to do the Gammons later- it is very different to the Central Flinders. The Jack will be OK.

Anyway, here goes:

If you are coming from Marree:

Down to Copley.

Drive through Italowie Gorge, heading east to Balcanoona. Check out the contrast of the gorge to the bare sweeping plains to the mighty salt lake, L. Frome.

Then head south, into Chambers Gorge, if time permits. Spear through Wearing Gorge, then west, through to Blinman ,through the Parachilna Gorge & into Prarie hotel at Parachilna- yeah, do the countery. You only live once.

Try and then head eastish back into the central Flinders to go through Brachina Gorge, Bunyeroo Valley, maybe Wilpena. Poke back west thru the Moralana drive, which is moderate if you have seen these other sights, but still a very scenic route.
Then down through Hawker to your other destinations.

Top it off with a visit to the Cradock pub - very good value, top tucker & top barman, Dave. Tell him Rick sent you.

Enjoy

Rick
Rick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 21789

Sponsored Links