Pajinka Wilderness Lodge

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 15:34
ThreadID: 5256 Views:7305 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Having just joined, I see I am too late to respond to "Steve" who was commenting on the Pajinka Wilderness Lodge. i would like to know more details about what he says is environmental pollution. There is a rubbish dump there, but so does every cattle property, town, outstation etc etc in Australia.
To clarify a point, the property was PURCHASED from Bush Pilots and was a singificant source of income and employment for the local Aboriginal community. Being an Aboriginal-owned venture, there has never been any shortage of detractors and vultures hovering around waiting for it to fail. The place was winding down with the expectation that it was to be purchased by Indigenous Business Australia, and was operating with only a skeleton staff when a fire in a junction box destroyed the generator shed, a bus and troop carrier. Without electricity, the caretaker had no choice but to leave. Since then, the place has had a lot of stuff stripped out of it. Some was certainly taken by locals but there are reliable stories of stolen items being located in tourists vehicles returning over the Jardine Ferry. So yes Steve, the place is still standing, the burnt-out vehicles are still there and everyone is patiently waiting for the planned refurbishment to go ahead. I'm not quite sure what you think should be done with the place in the meantime, but I think you should understand the background story of the place a bit more before you chuck off on it too much. What do think the EPA should investigate?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 16:36
Dr pat there is a lot more than that to the story and this is not the place to discuss politics.
All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
Eric 02 4294 3496
Peter 07 4094 1745
Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 21738

Reply By: twandy - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:29

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:29
Thanks Dr. Pat. That was extremely enlightening. I'm sure there is more to it but it is only from people like you that we can know, understand and hopefully appreciate the history of some of the places we visit.
AnswerID: 21822

Sponsored Links