swb GQ suspension lift

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 15:42
ThreadID: 5257 Views:5391 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I need some info on the mods needed to fit a 4 inch, or bigger, suspension lift to a swb GQ patrol. Being a short wheel base poses problems with tail shaft angles and vibrations, this is not a problem with GQ wagons. So if you have done any similar mods to a swb patro please help!! I have been told that fitting cardin joints to the tail shafts fixes this problem, then another person says that the cardin joints, at $600 each, dont last. Then Im told that I have to rotate my diff housings, or lower my tranny, all these people giving me this info are trying to sell somthing or don't own a swb patrol with a 4 inch lift. Any constuctive advice would be of use.
Cheers!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 17:37

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 17:37
You will be told lots more weird things before you do it too. Shortys suck to lift, its a fact of life.. Tailshaft angles DO cause problems..

You can drop the transfer case also with spacers to lessen the angle of shafts..

Yes some think Cardins work, others dont... thats the thing. People think differently...

Rotating diff housings by cutting mounts off and rewelding on, also is the way some do it. others use caster plates.

Why do you need bigger than 4inch lift? Your just as well off going a 4inch suspension and 2inch body lift. You can run 36's EASY with a 4/2 lift.

Some Shortys take lifts better than others, in other words, some have more problems than others.

Call Rod at Total4wd Center in Epping Melb 03 9401 4277, they do lots of them on shortys...They did the lift on my LWB GQ, 6inch. Its SWEEET... It was supposed to be 4inch olift, but they got longer springs, so I took em!

Or You can Call Mark Cheeseman (Cheezy of Tuff Truck Fame) who now has a shop in Bayswater Vic, Cheesey Racing.. He runs 42's on his shorty Maverick.
03 9761 8111

AnswerID: 21746

Reply By: tristjo - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 21:53

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 21:53
Mate, have you seen Trent Leen/Wayne Smiths GQ shorty?? It does not have a huge lift, max 4 n 2, running 34inch centipeedes, and it win's ALL the comps. You don't have to lift a shorty as much as a lwb because the angles are already so much better.

Shorty's are giant killers, even in standard form, so the huge lift is a bit of over kill. Most comp shorties don't have huge lifts, and still seem to do extremely well.

Just my thoughts.
Tristjo.

AnswerID: 21785

Follow Up By: groper - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 22:12

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 22:12
Thanks for the info. keep it comming.

This is the first swb I have owned and want to go about modifying it the right way so I dont through money at it for ever,any info helps. Unlike Toyota's, I cant find much on modifying a swb GQ patrol.

Can't wait to get it back to Tassie, (south port lagoon) great place for bogging.

Cheers...

I welcome anymore comments on swb gq Patrols (Maverick)

Oh! Something else, The rear factory diff lock engages well but sometime gets stuck on and the only way to disengage it is to jack it up and drive it forwards then reverse for about 5 mins.

You can't tell me thats how they are suppost to work....
FollowupID: 14211

Reply By: Brett - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 19:44

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 19:44
If you lift a patrol over 2 inches it will have a substantial effect on the castor angle when checking the wheel align,this will cause the vehicle to become very vauge on the road(believe me it's bad enough in a wagon without shortening it).
OME make castor correction bushes to improve this problem.
Talk to someone in the know & ask questions.
AnswerID: 21864

Reply By: nomad - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:08

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:08
Owyagoin Groper,
The current issue of 4wd monthly has a 19 page article on modifing GQ patrols.
It covers everything,might be worth a look.
seeya.
AnswerID: 21903

Sponsored Links