turbo whine

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 18:18
ThreadID: 5261 Views:1713 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 75 series with a after market turbo which has developed a whine in the last month no oil leaks go the same the turbo is 2 years old any ideas,Regard Bat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:25

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 19:25
Could be a bearing on the way out.

Ever had it serviced? The Turbo...
AnswerID: 21756

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:01

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:01
Bat,

Could be a bearing, or maybe just some wear in bearings. We have a 79 series factory turbo ute, and it has heaps of turbo whine, with only 11,000km on clock. Good sound!!

If you are servicing it regularly, and it's going well, I wouldn't worry. Hooroo...

AnswerID: 21759

Reply By: JohnH - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:51

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2003 at 20:51
Bat I have some interesting information for you, won't fix the whine though I don't think. I had a 75 series that I fitted a turbo to. It was a Garrett turbo supplied by Ray Hall Turbo in NQ. Any way I sold the troopy about two months ago. The sale was all above board etc. I ran into him the other day down the street and asked him how the troopy was going. Well, he was a bit upset, he bought the troopy for tour work up here in the top end, he was happy with the power etc. When he was driving off road though a rock or something had been flung up and bent the arm on the waste gate....... yep maximum boost......yep cracks between three of the cylinders. I was going to fit a boost guage when I bought it.... supplier said don't waste your money the boost is set, not variable no need for one save yourself $85... This poor bugger was up to nearly two grand when I spoke to him. Another thing, make sure the return line into your sump, if it is a rubber hose type does not develope a kink in it. Mine was pretty good when I put it on but after it had been there for a while it developed a kink which blocked the oil return. Yep not too good for it. I loved my turbo charged troopy, run low boost and service it regularly. By the way, mine didn't whine, might be worth getting the Dr to look at it. Hope this finds you well.

Regards JohnH
AnswerID: 21771

Follow Up By: Bat - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 17:17

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2003 at 17:17
Thank you for the reply I have booked the 75series in to Cooma Disel to have it checked,I have being told it is not unusal as it happen with a lot of heavy trucks, it is a garrett turbo.Bat.
FollowupID: 14263

Sponsored Links