moving of intercooler

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 22:22
ThreadID: 53020 Views:2282 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all!
Im still having dramas with my 100 series getting hot, now that summer has come round again. It is a 01 1hz after market safari turbo. I would like to move the intercooler from front mount too under bonnet mount. The reason being is for increased air flow for the radiator also due to the intercooler creating hotter air b4 it enters the radiator. I also have an aircon condendsor and auto trans cooler infront of radiator, makes you wonder how the radiator works at all. I just would like to know if anyone has a bonnet intercooler and bonnet scoop on a 100 series already.
Cheers Crawf
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 22:43

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 22:43
Crawf
The total heat load should be ok, something to consider is where does the hot air get away? The fan has to work harder if the hot air is restricted, one way to determine this is to place spacers under the bonnet hinges so that the bonnet is raised about 50mm at the back.If this solves the problem consider louver's in the inner panels.
Eric.
AnswerID: 279288

Follow Up By: fishaholic - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 22:46

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 22:46
Eric,
what do u mean louvers? is there something on the marker that I can bolt to the inside wheel arch or something to let the heat out or do u mean the bonnet? also considering a 3 inch mandrel bend straight through exhaust to get the ecg lower what do u think?
FollowupID: 543425

Reply By: Eric Experience - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 23:03

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 23:03
Crawf.
If your experiment shows an air flow problem, you can cut the louver's with a side grinder and then shape them with a hammer and dolly. Eric.
AnswerID: 279289

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:23

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:23
Or you buy those that some other vehicles use that are pre-made. You'd then just need to cut an appropriate-size hole in either side of the bonnet and insert the louvers (facing rearwards). However, I doubt they would flow as much air as having the back of the bonnet raised by 50mm.

When I bought my current vehicle about 13 months ago, it had the back of the bonnet raised about 13mm using 2 lengths of that white nylon cutting board stuff. I didn't think it would serve much purpose and eventually removed them. (they were badly cracked and breaking up anyway and the 13mm only made the bonnett look as though something was wrong.

On the other hand, 50mm is a decent gap and would definitely allow a good outflowing of excess hot air, aiding the flow-effect of the radiator....hmmmm, might try it myself. ;-))
FollowupID: 543452

Reply By: fishaholic - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:25

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:25
still wondering about the moving of the intercooler any ideas pros cons etc???
AnswerID: 279317

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:39

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:39
I run a Safari Turbo and intercooler on a 2003 1HZ 105 series. I do not get any overheating problems at all with it, infact the engine runs slightly cooler now.

Do you have a EGT (Exhaust Gas Tempretiure) guage on yout engine to monitor what the turbo is doing ?. It is possible that the installer of the turbo has set it up with to much boost, resulting in too high a EGT when under load. This could be the cause of the overheating. However, this could also result in premature failure of the engine. If this is the cause you need to get it checked ASAP.

Other get the normal causes of overheating checked.

- Is the Radiator fan coupling working ok ?

- Is the Radiator not blocked (Internally anbd externally) ?

- Is the coolent ok ?

etc.

IMHO, there is something wrong with your engine/cooling system at the moment that is the root cause of your problem. You need to find out what that is before any more damage is done to the engine.
AnswerID: 279325

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:01

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:01
Gday
i agree with others, it is not your intercooler causing the problems, the first thing to do is check the gauge...is it really getting that hot....a probe on the outlet back to the rad will give you the result. When your under there, the fan should be making alot of noise and sucking aur through...if it isnt, and its hot, change the fan viscous coupling...they loose their oill....I would also suggest you get your radiator checked for mud and if you havnt changed the theristat, do so.
The other things that can be contributing is too much fuel,too much boost restricted exhaust muffler or late injection timing...diesels usually run cool, i have 4 rads infront of my radiator (full width intercooler, power steer cooler, auto tranny cooler and air conditioning) and not a problem with heat.
Andrew

AnswerID: 279384

Follow Up By: fishaholic - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 16:27

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 16:27
Cheers all for your replies!
The reason im asking about this is cause all other things have already been done:
new radiator, heavy duty one
new thermostat, all 3 of em
new clutch fan
water pump etc cleaned
boost pressure and fuel checked ( after which we increased slightly which made more power but didnt alter heating )
clylinder head checked ( with the CO2 test or something like that, i still think it may be that which may be the prob )

I just thought it looked like a hell of a lot infront of the radiator and the intercooler may not be that hard to relocate. I'm also thinking of fitting a new 3inch straight through exhaust to help.
FollowupID: 543740

Follow Up By: Davo_60 - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:17

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:17
Hello,

the only thing it seems you haven't checked is the actual temp (other than factory gauge) with an aftermarket unit or probe as per Dozer's reply. You may have already done this but you have not mentioned it yet. It seems to me that you have covered everything else.
FollowupID: 543782

Reply By: domlc100 - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 20:27

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 20:27
Hi fishaholic
I have had fitted to 03 100 series a dts turbo with a under bonnet intercooler, mine doesn't run hot at all just came back from holidays with my camper on the back and it runs cooler then before it was fitted. They filled a Nissan patrol scoop on and colour coded to the car and it looks better on the Toyota then the Nissan. I had the choice to go front mount but the extra plumbing to go to the front of the car and back again put me off so I am happy I went for the under bonnet one.
AnswerID: 279600

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:55

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:55
Gday again
Make sure the head has an earth strap to the body somewhere...that helps the gauge read right. If you are loosing coolant out into the bottle, or it isnt sucking it back in, you have compression leaking into the system. co does not usually show up in a diesels radiator even if it is leaking., but the loss is a sure sign.
lastly, it is very uncommon, but water pumps plastic fans have been known to spin on shaft.
See, if it isnt the cooler, and the motor is not running out off spec, it must be the flow between the two....thermistat must be kept in these motors as they recirc the water when closed, if it has been removed, this will also cause overheat.
AnswerID: 279728

Sponsored Links