Ranchos or OME

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 16:26
ThreadID: 5303 Views:1922 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of a suspesion upgrade for my 95 Toyota Surf.
Would be interested in other ppls thoughts or experiences regarding the differences between the OME system or using a Rancho System?
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bill- Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 17:08

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 17:08
Mark,

To assist the list..mainly on or off road, touring or rock climbing? Standard suspension or modified?Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 21933

Follow Up By: Mark J - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 17:54

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 17:54
Thanks for your reply Bill

I would say 30% offroad and would be doing tracks similiar in grade to the Cape York Telegraph Rd

I would be looking towards medium offroad use and a system that would place less stress on the vehicle with decent handling and safety.

I have just installed an ARB airlocker so would like a system that would compliment the use of a locker.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 14365

Follow Up By: Member - Bill- Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 20:45

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 20:45
Mark,

Looks like you would be doing mainly "off road touring" with the occasional "tough section". Of course everyone has their own preferences, but you probably should go with no more than a heavy duty spring set-up and a slight (50mm) lift. This should give you approximately standard ride height fully loaded with a lot better ride over rough ground. As for shocks, everyone had an opinion but it appears to be you get what you paid for. Koni and Bilstein are premium gear. OME and TJM are tailored local product at the more affordable level. Rancho's apparently (no personal exp.) are good for difficult applications (higher lifts etc) but suffer durability problems in extended off road touring.

Hope this helps.Regds

Bill
FollowupID: 14385

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 20:37

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 20:37
Mark I have Rancho 5000 fitted front and rear to my 4 runner I have also fitted poly air bags in rear I find the combination works well esplecially towing a van ,I have given them a good workout over the last 2 years with no trouble ,I have fitted a heavier rear springs to the rear as factory standard tend to sag after a whileBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 21950

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 20:45

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 20:45
If you go for the Rancho shocks for the adjustability try and get the in-cab system if you can afford it.

I found that i was too lazy to get under and change the settings (espesialy if packed with mud) and never realy bothered.

Also have had the OME before and have no complaints.
AnswerID: 21951

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 21:08

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 21:08
I have Rancho 9000 front, 9000x rears.. The only thing Rancho has going for them is their warranty which most people get to try out. They replace them ok, but if you have 9000's and they die, you have to PAY the extra to get 9000x's...

Also the incab kit compressor is a piece of dung, theres nothign but a small brass bush, that holds the Rod on to the crank on the compressor!!! Thus to say when it dies, you have to buy a complete new incab system, gauges and all.

Try Konis, or Bilsteins, they BOTH get a very good wrap.
AnswerID: 21956

Reply By: Billowaggi - Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 21:44

Thursday, Jun 05, 2003 at 21:44
Hi Mark.
Have just returned from 4 week trip on C.S.R. and Gibb River Road,Mitchell Plateau all four vehicles in the group were fitted with OME shockies no problems were experienced. On a trip last year that was Gibb RiverRoad only, both Rancho RS9000's on the front of my Ford F250 Failed ,although they were replaced under warranty I have no confidence in the brand.
Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 21960

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:38

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:38
Hi Mark,
I had Rancho RS 5000's on the front of my Surf. Even though I had the correct part number the shocks were too short and limited downward suspension travel by 25mm (measured at the wheel). In other words the shocks were stopping the wheel travel before the bump stops. Don't know how long the shocks would have lasted before they destroyed themselves as I sold the vehicle soon afterwards.
If you go with Rancho's check the length and compare with the standard shocks.
Regards
ScoobyHilux Dualcab, 3 litre diesel
AnswerID: 21975

Reply By: Member - David- Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 00:23

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 00:23
Mark,

You've been given some good advice. I have Konis on my 2000 Dualcab Hilux, and very happy with them. I understand they are completly rebuildable if need be, and dont fade as some gas shocks do. Shocks get very hot on outback tracks when going hour after hour. A friend has a set on a Disco, this is the third vehicle for the same set of shocks, rebuilt them once only and he has toured every part of Oz over the years with the same set. Dont know about Bilsteins but they were recommended to me also by a guy whose opinion I respect. The Ranchos have a great marketing exercise going that leaves fag companies and laundry detergent promos for dead. Now I've given away my age.

Cheers
David
AnswerID: 22010

Reply By: Member - Andrew- Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 17:58

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 17:58
Hi Mark
OME are made by Monroe, aswell as others like mr red bull, but they are a good shock because they are longer than the standard aftermarket shock, giving more wheel travel than the rest. OME are all about a packaged system to give you long legs so to speak. All you need to tell the propriater is whether you want load carrying or comfort. The shox may not be as good as the better brands, but thats no good if the better brands are shorter to suit std suspension. Check out the differences before you make a decision. I also know that Rancho will sell you a shock to suit your spring, just measure the length at std height and they do the rest. Heard people say 5000 ranchos are hard riding, 9000's, being adjustable, can be tuned to suit load.
Hopoe this helps the ecision processes :-)
Andrew
AnswerID: 22047

Sponsored Links