Turbo heat

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:35
ThreadID: 53078 Views:2205 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,
Re my new TDv8 (thats STILL coming).
Looking back over the posts I think I will not fit a timer, But was thinking of getting a ETG.
Remembering that the 70 will be carrying over a ton and dragging a 22ft offroad van...........What do you people think would be best.

Regards to all...............BIGDOG......Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Twinkles - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:47

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:47
Just some general questions about EGT and gauges. If you fit a EGT gauge and you find it overheats, what do you do? What temps are overheating in EGT? Why do you need this rather than rely on the temp gauge in car?
AnswerID: 279554

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 16:12

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 16:12
"If you fit a EGT gauge and you find it overheats, what do you do? "
- back off the accelerator.

"Why do you need this rather than rely on the temp gauge in car?"
- it will give you an early indication than cooling water temperature.
FollowupID: 543735

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:20

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:20
Twinkles

Thought I'd add my thoughts on your questions, although this is only how I perceive the EGT system to work.... not being a mechanic, I may be wrong, but I apply these principles to my own Patrol and so far have been OK...... If I am wrong, I am happy to be corrected!

"If you fit a EGT gauge and you find it overheats, what do you do?"
Basically, it's amatter of finding out what temps are 'normal' for your turbo, and then you can monitor the temp. EGT is measured at the pipe that enters the turbo... which is the exhaust from the engine. The harder the engine is driven, the hotter this pipe gets. So, you need to know what the 'normal' temp is, and what the maximum temp should be..... usually some point well below molten-turbo-degrees-C. Monitoring the EGT then allows the driver to push the engine to a safe limit, then backing off will drop the EGT, rather rapidly. My GQ has an aftermarket turbo, I usually start to drop the power off around 500 degrees C, but some hills require me to "stay-on-it" and it then climbs to the 600 mark, which is the absolute maximum I would push mine to. I also watch my boost gauge and have found that at 11psi boost, which is my max setting, my EGT will climb rapidly. Often backing my boost back to around 7 or 8 psi will drop the EGT, while allowing the Patrol to keep it's power up.

"Why do you need this rather than rely on the temp gauge in car?"
By the time the temp gauge registered an overheated motor, you may have more problems than an overheated radiator to worry about. Possibly you will have mashed turbo bits in the engine somewhere. The EGT is monitoring the temp exactly where it needs to be monitored.

Hope this helps mate...

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 543760

Reply By: jeepthing - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 17:11

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 17:11
After having just recently come back from WA (I live in Qld) and coming in contact with a couple of parties towing those big heavy bushtrackers and having pulled the guts out of their tojos I'd be thinking seriously of forgetting the TDV8 and moving up to a Ford F350 V8 diesel.

I ran into one of the parties at Newman Caravan Park and he had just got rid of his tojo and replaced it with a F350 because it wasn't good enough to tow his 18' bushtracker. He had a V8 petrol tojo and it simply wasn't good enough according to him.

Anyway probably not the answer you were looking for so sorry about that but that's what I think would be best.

Notwithstanding, I have a grand cherokee CRD V6 turbo diesel and my understanding is that the turbo runs at something like 800c so I have replaced the OEM muffler with a straight through system to displace some of this heat out the back end. Also replaced the OEM air filter with a K&N.

The result has been an increase in horse power and torque and a decrease in fuel consumption, like chipping it without a chip. I've also found that when towing the temperature hardly moves compared to before. It's also important to use the best engine oil and I use nothing but fully synthetic Mobil 1 ESP 5w 30,which is the viscosity for the engine.
AnswerID: 279566

Reply By: Grungle - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:17

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:17
You will also need 2 x EGT gauges due to twin turbos. Thats about $700 - $800 roughly.

Honestly for a standard setup there is no need for an EGT gauge. If you rechip or do other mods to the motor then I would fit them.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 279579

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:07

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:07
David, every turbo diesel should have an EGT gauge as standard, is the only way to know what your engine is doing. You would be surprised how hot a standard TD will get when driven "normally", ie, foot hard down into a head wind or what ever, when the fix is to look at EGT and change gears or back off. My two pence worth. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 543836

Follow Up By: Grungle - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:49

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:49
Hi John,

I have EGT and boost gauges as I have adjusted the fuel pump and boost on my car so now it is operating outside of the parameters set by the manufacturer. However a turbo diesel engine is designed with a specific EGT in mind so it will not go over this no matter how hard it is driven. This is what the engineers intended.

There are a lot of people out there that get an EGT gauge and don't really have an idea of what the are monitoring. There is always the question of "so I have an EGT gauge but what temp should I expect"? One reason for getting te gauge could be "cause old mates got one and it looks cool" (I have see that coment a couple of times on other forums - and I am not that anyone posting in this thread would have this perception either).

An EGT gauge is a reflection of your right foot. More right foot = more fuel = higher temps so knowing what your right foot is doing is an indication of what your engine is doing. For a standard factory spec'ed engine, that should be all thats required however for a modified engine that is operating beyond its intended limits then knowing just how much right foot for a given time is crucial.

Regards
David
FollowupID: 543990

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 06:29

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 06:29
David, you are wrong, modern TD yes, older designs no. A standard Nissan TD 4.2 will over heat very readily due to high EGT, lots try and remedy it by changing radiators etc etc, but, in most cases, it is due to over fueling.

You state that EGT is a reflection of your right foot, exactly, older TD's, standard and modified will have very high EGT's if driven incorrectly. With out an EGT gauge, you will have no idea what your engine is doing until the temp gauge starts to rise and then you back off........ An EGT is an early warning device.

Regards John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 544039

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:24

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:24
Tom,

Given the choice between a timer or EGT.... I would go with the EGT every time. I believe it is far more important to monitor your turbo temp! And by watching your EGT.... you can "cool-down" your turbo anyway! It is surprisingly quick to cool dow to a safe temperature... so an EGT can help you do the work that a timer does..... but the timer can't do the work of an EGT gauge.
Remember you will need two gauges for the twin turbo.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 279582

Follow Up By: Member - BIGDOG G (WA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:31

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:31
Thanks to all...............should have been more specific.......70=70series.......single turbo

Tom
FollowupID: 543761

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 06:53

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 06:53
"Remember you will need two gauges for the twin turbo."

- or two temperature sensors, a switch and one temperature gauge.
FollowupID: 544040

Reply By: Davo_60 - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 20:32

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 20:32
Hello Bigdog,

You really don't need a EGT gauge on a factory turbo unless you modify. It can be helpful to determine when to shut down after a hard run though.

Cheers,
Dave
AnswerID: 279603

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:08

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:08
Dave, see reply to Dave above.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 543837

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:34

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:34
Ok here shows my ignorance....what the hell is an ETG gauge?.........have read all the posts...and understand it monitors the Turbo temp.....what else does it do....and what do the initials ETG stand for?

FYI I have had two TD 3.0L hilux and just driven them normally and at times hard when necessary..towing into a head wind....never any problems....but they have smelt hot on some occasions !..i have always idled them down every time regardless of town or open road driving.........do the same with our TD farm vehicles........

Have the 4.5L TD V8 landcruiser CC on order ...due the Feb boat I am told..........so am now curious as to the neeed or percieved need or sensible insurance however ypu like to put it ...to consider fitting something

Thanks
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279711

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:13

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:13
bungarra (WA).......

Commonly referred to as EGT...... Exhaust Gas Temperature. I'm guessing that ETG may be Exhaust Temperature Gauge... or possibly a typo.
Also referred to as a Pyrometer.

Cheap (around $3-400 for a good one) Insurance for your turbo. I know people who don't have one and there is a school of thought that factory turbo's don't need one, but personally I wouldn't have a turbo'd engine without an EGT gauge..... like I said it's cheap insurance.

Just my opinion though......

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 543877

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 13:22

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 13:22
I love EGT guages but do remember its old technology and not something new.

People are asking why fit one and are they necessary for modern vehicles and thats a tad loaded question with no simple/correct answer.

It used to be that no truck driver could operate his vehicle safely and efficiently without watching the Pyro but check any new truck and not one with a pyro in sight.

Its because (simply)the old fuel pumps used to keep pumping in fuel even if there wasnt boost pressure...overfuelling is the quickest way to increase EGT to damaging levels.

These conditions are not as prevelent in modern vehicles and the need for a vehicle ,driven with respect and a little care, to fit an EGT guage is arguable.

YOU SHOULD NEVER BE DRIVING UP A HILL WITH YOUR FOOT FLAT TO THE FLOOR.....simple

Just because our TD have that power we shouldnt drive them like a petrol vehicle.

If the load is huge and you are in 5th gear flying up a hill...back off the throttle and drop a gear and do your engine a favour...do you need and EGT to tell you this?

Find the gear when you can climb safelty at aroud 70% throttle and your engine will be fine...admittdly you wont break any speed records but your vehicle will last. This is what the EGT will tell you anyway!!

Halfway up the EGT will rise and the only way to lower it is to back off!

But if you do wish to drive with your vehicle tip-toeing on the limit of reliability then by all means buy an EGT guage and enjoy but its not necessary.

All the best

Matt.

AnswerID: 279745

Follow Up By: Davo_60 - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:20

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:20
Matt,

Great response, I agree that having an EGT gauge changes driving habits. I will never let an engine lug at low revs under load again!

Cheers,
Dave
FollowupID: 544061

Sponsored Links