house sitting

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:37
ThreadID: 53079 Views:2906 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are intending to be away for a few months this year.
Do any members have any experience with house sitters? Can you recommend a service?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:46

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:46
I personally don't like the idea of strangers living in my house, never done it and probably never will. We went away over Christmas and had to leave the dog at home...we got a mob to come around once a day to feed and walk the dog, they put your bins out and bring your mail in water the plants and do a walk around outside to make sure all is good. They provided me with a police clearance check and proper photo ID....for around $25 a day I think that's not a bad service. Not sure if you have pets or not but you might be able to work something out with a similar company.
AnswerID: 279553

Reply By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 17:11

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 17:11
Had a house sitter last year for June/July to look after Tenterfield terrier,cat and 3 geriatric chooks.It was just a lady on her own and she did a marvellous job.We introduced her to the local folk and she was soon involved in bowls and became an avid golfer whilst she was here.Allowed us to have a great trip-we did the east 1/2 circle and covered 14.5kk.Got her from Aussie house carers site.Really I suppose it's pot luck but you can't leave a house unoccupied for more than 60 days under most insurance policies.She came with police clearance and excellent references.Just a pity she is not available this year as planning a 3mth trip to the west so am currently seeking another suitable house sitter.Perhaps EO could start up a section to service this need as most folk on here like to get about the country a lot!
Cheers,MARY
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279567

Reply By: ellen&greg - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 17:57

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 17:57
In my young and single days I did lots of house sitting. Use to go from one place to another. All by word of mouth....until the house sitting job from hell! They wanted someone to look after their pampered cat. First the front door fell of the hingers, then I dropped the stack of their dinner plates, broke the lot and finally I ran over the cat!

I dont house sit anymore

Good luck finding someone better than me

Ellen
AnswerID: 279574

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:46

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:46
Better than the Friday Funnies :)
FollowupID: 543844

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:23

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:23
Got any friends with kids at uni??

Several of my uni mates have and still are house sitting for family friends. They love the freedom and quiet that comes along with having their own space for study. Also, gives them a chance to save a few of their own pennys, you know, for things like text books, lab coats (insert cheeky laugh)

Just make sure that they're a little bit older than 18 ;)
AnswerID: 279612

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:37

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:37
We have used them on two separate occasions & couldn't be happier.
We used sitters obtained through Australian Housesitters.

Take no notice of the prophets of 'doom & gloom' or the site cynics ...... & trust your own gut instincts!

I would be more than happy to discuss our experiences with you, my father has also used them twice.
AnswerID: 279647

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:48

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:48
Hurk

I can see why you tried this site seeing the response on the other site you posted on.makes this site seem better

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 279649

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:06

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:06
I might do this so I have somewhere to travel to. I am on my own with 2 of my kids living at home, so they can look after my place and I can get out and about more often...

hmmmm....
AnswerID: 279655

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:43

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:43
used a farm sitter couple for the first time this year...for 4 weeks ...they came from QLD and arrived as perfect strangers...

stayed a couple of days prior to our departure as a get to know period and show them what was what

stayed a couple of days after we came home.......we couldnt have been happier...worked perfectly for us and them (used as a base to look around the area).

arrived as strangers....left as friends and we are still in touch...have another couple same deal (and from QLD !) for May next year...yet to meet them..references are good

my advice is to use a reputable site...get some references....and if it all lines up....do it...
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279713

Reply By: Member - Marilyn P (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:08

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:08
Have used farm sitters twice - & delighted each time.

First couple responded to a request I placed here on Forum - they were great - looked after my animals (dogs, cows, horse) & the property during the horrific rain & floods in the Hunter in June 2007. They were here for nearly 4 months with their dogs.

Second couple I accessed through the 'Farm sitters' web site - have to pay to join. They were great too - only for a fortnight. Their daughter & grandson visited them while they were here. Fine by me - more company for my animals.

Looking for a farm sitter from mid April to mid August, 2008 if anybody out there is interested. Free rent for keeping an eye & feeding my dogs, 1 cow & 1 horse. Feel free to contact me.
AnswerID: 279955

Sponsored Links