Rego time again, Just how safe are vehicles in states that don't require a inspe

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 20:57
ThreadID: 53088 Views:2536 Replies:16 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Rego inspection time again, i always keep a eye on things around the supension , steering , brake area for my own piece of mind!, but for people that have no interest in the mech side of their car, there must be some horrible things getting along the road in states where no inspection is required . A lot of dodgy things go on here in NSW, but they do try.& keep vechicles in some sort of reasonable state, especially older ones.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:37

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:37
The sad truth is it really isn't the vehicles they need to worry about............
AnswerID: 279614

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:56

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:56
Yep!, your right, but when a tie rod end pops out of its socket because its that worn ,then the best driver in the world is in big trouble.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 543789

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:18

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:18
There are 100 or so D-heads on the road for every one TRE that pops while driving, lets concentrate on getting rid of them first...
FollowupID: 543812

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 13:18

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 13:18
Spot on Gary, when is open season declared?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 544300

Reply By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:52

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:52
That is definitely something I have noticed since moving across to Perth. They failed mine over the pits here due to the window tint being too dark, yet the amount of absolute death traps that I see on a regular daily basis driving around the streets of Perth is terrifying.

The sooner that all states start to do a yearly inspection the safer everyone will be I think.

Cheers

Richard

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 279620

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:09

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:09
Thats where it all goes to crap mate!, window tint to dark??, how many different shades of sunnies can you buy?, No! , a proper check of steering, brakes , and supension should be a mandatory thing each year in all states.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 543792

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:46

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:46
Mate dark sunnies wont stop other road users seeing "thru" your vehicle (via the windows) to see other vehicles when overtaking or at intersections and they don't prevent other drivers seeing your intentions at intersections, etc but dark window tint does and that is why in Australia is must provide 35% light transmission. Presumably you remove your dark sunnies at night so you can see out of the vehicle but you cannot remove dark tint just at night time especially in the cars where idiots tint the whole windscreen. Dark tint provides no more heat, glare or UV resistance than good quality correctly installed 35% tint film and is strictly for use only by wand polishers.
FollowupID: 544160

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:52

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:52
I'd like them to see through some of the canopies that are on some of the vehicles owned by people on this forum. They have no windows so does that mean that they are unroadworthy?? I think not.

Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 544161

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 19:04

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 19:04
No it does not make them unroadworthy but they are a different category of vehicle and never will there be as many on the roads as there are passenger cars. NA category light commercial vehicles by their very "design for purpose" do not have to have windows but that does not make it right or safe for ALL vehicles to have windows tinted so dark you cannot see thru them or out of them at night.
FollowupID: 544169

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:01

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:01
In my opinion its big brother out of control. The resposibility should be the owner to drive a roadworthy car and if not to have it put off the road. Far better to let people should the responsibility than legislate and orchestrate some process like other states have.

No wonder people blame someone else for stuff.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 279623

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:19

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:19
Agree Bonz!, But its the one that deems the car roadworthy!, that should be more accountable, jn other words weed out the shonks!!, the fifty bucks ones i mean!!.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 543796

Follow Up By: sedg - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:22

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:22
Here, Here!!

Just another excuse for government to interfere in our lives!
FollowupID: 543950

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:56

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:56
Your methodology would be fine if ALL vehicle owners were responsible and had common sense but if you keep your eyes open when out on the road, as I am sure you do, then you would realise just by their driving actions that many do not have those attributes. I can assure you in WA there are 1000's of death traps with very serious defects out there daily as well as many illegally highly modified vehicles that in a situation that requires instant evasive action just would not perform as they were designed to. Just by way of one simple example there are many who just don't service their vehicles at all and know when it is time to get a tyre when the old one blows out as it wears thru the last ply and can no longer hold air.
FollowupID: 544163

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 23:23

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 23:23
My methodology is simply this: Get the wallopers out on the road, visual presence, defecting the stuffed cars and out of the bureaucratic back rooms stuffing around with annual checks. Punish those who dont maintain their vehicles not those who do!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 544211

Follow Up By: blown4by - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 12:14

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 12:14
Mate I agree with you 110% all the way on the visual presence but the fact is in WA there are just very few coppers out there on the roads and it has even been reported in the press that over the holiday period people who have traveled 1000's of K's on major highways have sighted very few police. My own Son who travels 1500k's to get home for Christmas and has just completed a 1200k trip thru the South-West of WA visiting all the major towns which are in summer the most popular tourist destinations during the busiest period on the road for the whole year has sighted two police vehicles and one Multinova. The Govt over here just don't seem to get it and there are less police out there throughout the rest of the year. If there was a visual presence the road toll would drop for a start not to mention the dramatic attitudinal change that would result to the idiot fringe as well as the contacts that would be made to identify unroadworthy and illegally modified vehicles. Unfortunately speed cameras do not detect any of that and if you are drunk, speeding, have no drivers license or no vehicle rego the speed cameras don't detect any of that either but let you continue on your journey unhindered but you get a fine in the mail 4 months later and they call that road safety. Kerbside cash registers more likely. Mate if it wasn't so sad it would be a joke. An added problem over here is that the coppers are leaving the force in droves and they are finding it very hard to get replacements. Many of those imported to Aus to be trained leave the force once trained and use that as a stepping stone to migrate here then get a better paying job with better conditions and why wouldn't they with all the #rap the coppers have to deal with which is compounded when they cop the blame for being late in attending jobs because there is just not enough of them to go around. Anyone who has a pulse can get a job over here at the moment.
So given that the police aren't out there doing what they are supposed to do, and are limited in what faults they are able to detect at the roadside (no underbody inspection), as well as being unqualified to detect every visible fault, there needs to be another way of getting the defective vehicles off the road.
FollowupID: 544291

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 13:17

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 13:17
blown you are spot on I reckon, not enough wallopers on the roads. These days its all about revenue raising (speed cameras) and passive processes. All the wallopers are somewhere stopping protesters violence escalating. hmmmmmm maybe that not a bad thing...

Hang on YES it is

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 544299

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:26

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:26
How very true Axle.
We live 5 minutes south of the Qld border & boy are there some wrecks driving in that state.
Regards.
Vince
AnswerID: 279630

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:59

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:59
Hi Vince, What got me going on this amongst other things was the fact that my niece turned up in her early model commodore for Xmas, and asked if i would have a look at her car as it had a noise in the front somewhere. Well!! she had driven it from bloody LoganHome QLD, and the front end was absolutley shot, No way will i let her drive it back! its gunna cost me but at least i can try and keep her alive on the roads.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 543809

Reply By: Member - Brummiepete - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:56

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:56
Hi Axle .I must admit living in WA is great for me because i havent got to go over the pits every year but i am fastidious with the maintenance on my vehicle ,i can see the merits of having a yearly check and just to get rid of all the old bombs here they could just do a shock absorber ,tyre and steering check and that would be enough .
I wouldnt like to see WA go the way of the uk with its MOT system which is getting increasingly more difficult to pass each year as they bring in more stringent measures to keep vehicles off the road ,and lets face it any kind of test is really only valid for the day of passing it means nothing a month or a week down the line .
AnswerID: 279641

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:22

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:22
Hi Axle, not just cars either. What about the amount of box trailers I have seen on the road lately. Bum falling out due to rust, draw bars about to snap, missing lights, wiring chewed out by the dog, d shackel that wouldnt hold your dog to a letterbox let alone a loaded trailer should it come adrift, and the tyres about to rip apart due to fatigue from being on there the life of the 20 year old trailer. Not sure about other states but here if under I think for memory 200kg might be 250kg they dont need a regular inspection. I know most people just use them locally but have seen them shooting along the highways/freeways doing there 110k. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 279645

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:25

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:25
I agree with you Axle, an annual inspection should be compulsory
everywhere. Another good reason to do away with State Governments. Dont see WA cars much but the wrecks driving
around Qld demonstrate that people wont self regulate on this
issue. I suppose the other end of the spectrum is having your
car crushed at 3 years old as occurs in some Asian locations such
as Singapore. As a miserable old fart I deem it my right to run old cars but am happy to have them inspected.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 279698

Reply By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:31

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:31
As long as the interstaters complain about yearly inspections us Sth Ozzy's will spend our money visiting you without inspections.
If your system worked it would be national but do agree to many bombs ship to SA from interstate and sold.
AnswerID: 279710

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:06

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:06
Annual inspections ! 6 monthly for vehicles over three years old in NZ. And they are adding pollution checks soon.
FollowupID: 543869

Reply By: DIO - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:59

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:59
What's the point of compulsory vehicle inspections when it is a well know fact that there are heaps of dodgy mechanics out there only too willing to overlook or pass an unroadworthy vehicle (issue certificate) if the right amount of dollars 'grease the palm'. What faith or confidence can you have in such a system. Don't tell me that its got to be better than nothing. If the vehicle inspection system is SOOOO good whay do states that have it still find it necessary to issue defect notices to hundreds of thousands of vehicles a year? An efficient Traffic Police section ensures that unroadworthy vehicles are defected and put off the roads in states without annual inspections. Perhaps a bit more self regualatory approach might also discourage many motorists from undertaking illegal modifications to their vehicles. Surely it's a responsible approach after all isn't that's what safe driving is all about - R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y !
AnswerID: 279716

Follow Up By: Scoof - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:03

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:03
SPOT ON , DIO
FollowupID: 543873

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:57

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:57
I've spent the majority of my life in NSW, Never had troubles getting cars inspected some did'nt even need the car just the rego papers, so it really only effects the good guys. I think its better to have the cops putting yellow canaries on cars than inspections. The other side of course are the inspection places that see it as a ticket to print money

Rgds
Ian
AnswerID: 279721

Reply By: ross - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:39

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:39
I cant rermember the last time a car with poor maintenance was the blame for a crash.
When you look at the statisitical evidence of car accidents in WA ,unroadworthy vehicles are way down the list. Something like 1% and not much different to states where they have mandatory testing.

If you do have yearly testing ,a hell of a lot can happen in that year to a vehicles road worthiness.

When I lived in Vic and had to have a car tested I found nothing but corruption.
Either people wanting back handers or mechanics trying to force me to buy their overpriced parts and tyres ect when they were not needed.

For those that see an old car that looks a little untidy,how can you tell its unroadworthy just by looking at it.
Underneath the grungy exterior it maybe in perfect mechanical health.

States that want to improve safety on the roads should spend their money on catching the drunks,the sleepyheads and the speeders.
Not force people to take time off work to visit some dodgy garage and pay the govt for the privelege.
AnswerID: 279725

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:44

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:44
State vehicle inspection legislation adds another level of boo rock raa see that is highly corruptable. There are far too many instances of "sorry mate, but you'll have to see the panel beater first(he's my brother)."

What if you're on a remote property? How the heck do you get your vehicles inspected, pay to fly an inspector out?
How do remote towns cope, do the police make an annual visit to all of them ?

I know that any policeman can defect my vehicle, and I can be stopped and inspected by mobile testing stations.
But they don't even exist on my radar.

I am responsible for not only the lives of my passengers, but also those of others on the roads. It's up to ME to take responsibility for my vehicle's roadworthyness.
AnswerID: 279740

Reply By: CeeJ - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:34

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:34
Here Here. Bring back the inspections every year. I am not an angle myself, but if I am forced to maintain it, then I will. It is terrible here in ACT too. Then the Inspectors could crack down on all the elligal wattage of so called fog lights too.But it is the drivers that are the real danger. More and more signs being taken out at intersections and roundabouts, then they keep on driving the vehicles around, damaged from running into the signs. Not enough Police or inspections I say. Only 35 and already I'm a grumpy old man. Visit www.ratetheplate.com.au. There you can dobb in bad drivers and bad vehicles.
AnswerID: 279766

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:35

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:35
Always ask the gouvernment to step in when common sense fails.
A safe way to destroy the last bit of it. Education is the answer but that was never understood in this great country or was it ??

Read the statistics and see how many accidents and deaths we have due to malfuntion or due to driver stupidity. -- The resources are better wasted on buerocrats ? or idiot citizens ??

your choice

happy new year
gmd
AnswerID: 279776

Follow Up By: ob - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:38

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:38
_gmd_pps

spot on mate something like 98% of accidents are caused by the d-heads behind the wheel not the wheels on the road

cheers
FollowupID: 543956

Reply By: V8Diesel - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:58

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:58
Can't you Eastern Staters go and tutt-tutt about something more important? The WA system works just fine thank you. We've got more than enough Gov't red tape and bureaucracy as it stands without introducing even more.

Why don't you concentrate on getting rid of your Pokies and tolls to use roads and bridges? That'd do the general population a lot more good.

AnswerID: 279873

Reply By: John R (SA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:36

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:36
Roadworthys no doubt have their place, but we don't have them here in SA.

On occasion I get to remove people from disfigured vehicles. There doesn't seem to be much relationship to the age or condition of the vehicle.
AnswerID: 280132

Sponsored Links