Mirrors / Reversing camera's

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:44
ThreadID: 53091 Views:5513 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all, yesterday I followed a 100 series with a large off road caravan on the back, and he wasnt wasting any time either.

I followed him for quite some k's and I noticed that i couldnt see any mirrors, in fact you had to be at quite an angle to see only his standard 4wd mirrors, so he would have been unable to see zilch behind him, but on the back of the van was a reversing camera.

I am assuming that he had this unit on, which would have given him ample rear vision, but would he be legal with just this device for his rear vision, or is it illegal to have the screen running while driving?

Just wondering if the rules have changed with tecnology?

Cheers Pesty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GerryP - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:50

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 21:50
Hi Pesty,
It is legal in SA (don't know about other states) to run a screen providing it is used only for either navigation or rear view. If your passenger is watching a movie, then is must not be visible by the driver.
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 279619

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:53

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:53
I do not have a rear mirror - only the reversing camera and screen and have actually had a couple of coppers here in NSW who have noticed it when I have gone through RBT say how good it looks.
So I am guessing it is ok in NSW also

[img]
[/img]
AnswerID: 279637

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:58

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:58
FollowupID: 543808

Follow Up By: Member - bill - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:46

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:46
Now this is a great set up.........2 questions...what's the name of your reversing camera & where can I buy one?
FollowupID: 543832

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:40

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:40
Bill

I am at work at the moment - 4x is at home.

I will get all the details and post answers tonight
FollowupID: 543856

Reply By: Member - Frank M (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:24

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:24
Pesty,
I use a Polaris CV 10 Caravan / Trailer package.Brilliant setup.
However here in Qld law states with caravans the tow vehicle must have towing rear view mirrors.I use Aussie Truck Mirrors,a minute or so to put on and remove.

TJM are agents for Polaris Camera Systems,hope this helps. Frank.
AnswerID: 279680

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:30

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:30
Hey Pesty
Was gunna ask about the legality ?

looks like GerryP and KiwiAngler have done just that..
Now all I havee to do is find one that dosen't shyte itself, on the endless corrugations in the outback.
Got any recomendations ?

Cheers MAte

Bucky

AnswerID: 279682

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:20

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:20
G'day bloke,

I've had mine the same amount of time as Member John, Vic... we bought them as a package deal from Poron (now all wrapped-up as Polaris). These have been in the truck now for about 3 years and never a problem. I've got my screen mounted similar to the one in the photo above (Kiwiangler), except that his seems to use a RAM mount......mine uses a cruddy bit of steel (left over from a cargo barrier installation years ago), which I bent to a 90o and I attached it to the original mirror mount. This means that it will break-away in the event of a impact (from my scone!!!).

Cameras on back of truck and camper trailer.....but still rely on mirrors for bulk of rearward-looking requirements. The camera's fish-eye lens tends to make things look MUCH further away than they really are. However, I wouldn't be without the camera/s for reversing etc.

Mine is wired so it is on all the time when the ignition is on, with an over-ride switch to turn it off if I get nervous about Mr Plod booking when I'm visiting the smoke.

Cheers mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 543848

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:38

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:38
Bucky

The camera setup that is in my pic above is the same as the one I had in my Toyota (some of you may reacll I had the Toyota stolen about 2 years ago now - wiping tears from my eyes) and the on ei my Nissan has been in for 12 months now.

I have 'done' GRR, Tanami, Simpson, Birdsville Track and many 1000's of k's with both units and have nver had a problem.

Occassionally I have to wipe mud or dust from the lense on the Nissan (I have mounted the lens on my rear bumper - see pic)

Site Link

you can just see a small round lens at the top of the number plate

But on the Toyota I had the camera mounted inside the back door rear tail light housing and that was a perfect location -couldnt do it with the Nissan though
FollowupID: 543854

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:12

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:12
Hi Pesty, your post probably explains something I saw the other day...A Jeep wagon towing a big twin axle Jayco passed me doing
around 120K, no mirrors, standard only. Idiot...me thinks, it then passes several other cars, safely, if you discount the speed, going
from passing to travel lane several times. I guess he had a camera
never occurred to me at the time. Still an idiot towing at that
speed anyway.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 279695

Reply By: DIO - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:49

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:49
Yes anything that is an 'aid' to the driver (GPS, reversing Camera etc) is considered acceptable under certain circumstances. What is NOT acceptable is the lack or absence of mirrors capable of providing a rear view of any vehicle or combination. A test, if you sit in the drivers seat, adjust the mirrors to suit and cannot see clearly behind, not just down the side, but behind, then your mirrors are inadequate and you risk not only being pinched but also likely to contribute to a collision (I say collision NOT accident as under such circumstances there is obvious negligence, lack of due care and consideration). Now an argument that you might have to endure in Court regarding the 'reversing camera' relates to the fact that you had it functioning whilst you were driving down the highway at 80 km/ph. What would your defence be under such circumstances? Yes the monitor can be activated to enable a reversing camera to transmit an image from rearward of the vehicle WHILST the vehicle is reversing. Fail to see any other circumstance(s) under which you would get away with it and have it dismissed by 'the beak'. Remember, a reversing camera is just that not a substitute or replacement for adequate rear view mirrors. So there.
AnswerID: 279714

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 13:03

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 13:03
I disagree..... A rearward facing camera serves the same purpose as an internally-mounted mirror. In the case of my vehicle, I have a solid box on the back and there is NO rearward vision possible (forget the side mirrors just for a moment). The screen which sits where the internal mirror once resided, simply gives me the same view (or quite a lot better actually) that the internal mirror would have provided. The same applies to a normal 4x4 wagon when it is fully loaded up with fridge, camping gear etc. Driving down the hwy, you'd have to be pretty poor in the brain dept if you thought that watching the "TV" screen of what is happening behind was so interesting that it caused you to have an accident. How many people find the rear view mirror irrestistible and end up having an accident because they spend too much time watching what's happening in the mirror? NONE I would suggest!!!

As for your statement, Quote :" A test, if you sit in the drivers seat, adjust the mirrors to suit and cannot see clearly behind, not just down the side, but behind, then your mirrors are inadequate and you risk not only being pinched but also likely to contribute to a collision (I say collision NOT accident as under such circumstances there is obvious negligence, lack of due care and consideration)." Unquote....

Well, I guess that means that all semi trailers etc are illegal as you can only see "just down the side" to use your quote.

DIO, I think you're wrong, sorry.....but you're entitled to your opinion and I will stand up for your right to voice it.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 543884

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:29

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:29
Well spoken. "How many people find the rear view mirror irrestistible" Me but only when I am looking at myself! Sorry-just couldn't resist that unhelpful tongue-in-cheek or perhaps I should say foot-in-mouth comment:-)
FollowupID: 544158

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 15:49

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 15:49
What about vehicles that dont have an inside rear view mirror.
The law states In Qld anyway that you must be able to see the mirrors from the back corner of the van on both sides.

The easiest way to describe it is if the distance BETWEEN your mirrors is LESS than the WIDTH of your caravan then technically you are illegal. I have two cameras that can work all the time.
"Still legal they are a driving aid" But I also have a set of Aussie Truck mirrors and wouldnt be without them
FollowupID: 545343

Reply By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:27

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:27
There have been any number of threads on different forums about this topic. There is one currently on Touring OZ;

http://www.supertramp.com.au/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=412&PN=4 (sorry! - can't get the link across - you'll have to copy and paste into your browsers)

The threads have generally had a common theme ~ posters who understand what the rules (ADRs and the like, I think) say and require, and posters who have a solution that they are happy with but doesn't meet the rules, and the appaent lack of understanding of each. Both types of poster agree that the additional information provided by the camera is valuable, if not essential to towing safely on the roads. The disagreement is about the need for additional towing mirrors when you have a camera.

According to the previously posted material the rules require that mirrors on the tow vehicle must be able to see down the side of the caravan to the rear corner. This can be practically translated to 'if you stand at the back corner of your van, you must be able to see the towing mirror'. You may be able to get away with your normal wing mirrors with a narrow van, but most modern vans will require additional towing mirrors to be fitted to the tow vehicle to meet this requirment.

So the conclusion I draw from all this (and this is based on me wanting to be legal) is:

I will install a camera/screen setup as soon as I can afford it. There will be one camera on the tow vehicle for reversing and hitch up; the second will be on the back of the van to provide a rearward view of the road and following traffic.

And I will continue to use my Australian Truck Mirrors as they provide the view along the sides of my van to the rear corners.

But, as always, others may and will have a different view, and the debate will continue. You must draw your own conclusions.

Happy New Year to you all!
AnswerID: 279735

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 15:42

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 15:42
Good on you as Im the one who is sticking up for legallity on Supertramp
Pm me for pics and how to do it cheaply
FollowupID: 545341

Reply By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:19

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:19
There have been any number of threads on different forums about this topic. There is one currently on Touring OZ;

http://www.supertramp.com.au/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=412&PN=4 (sorry! - can't get the link across - you'll have to copy and paste into your browsers)

The threads have generally had a common theme ~ posters who understand what the rules (ADRs and the like, I think) say and require, and posters who have a solution that they are happy with but doesn't meet the rules, and the appaent lack of understanding of each. Both types of poster agree that the additional information provided by the camera is valuable, if not essential to towing safely on the roads. The disagreement is about the need for additional towing mirrors when you have a camera.

According to the previously posted material the rules require that mirrors on the tow vehicle must be able to see down the side of the caravan to the rear corner. This can be practically translated to 'if you stand at the back corner of your van, you must be able to see the towing mirror'. You may be able to get away with your normal wing mirrors with a narrow van, but most modern vans will require additional towing mirrors to be fitted to the tow vehicle to meet this requirment.

So the conclusion I draw from all this (and this is based on me wanting to be legal) is:

I will install a camera/screen setup as soon as I can afford it. There will be one camera on the tow vehicle for reversing and hitch up; the second will be on the back of the van to provide a rearward view of the road and following traffic.

And I will continue to use my Australian Truck Mirrors as they provide the view along the sides of my van to the rear corners.

But, as always, others may and will have a different view, and the debate will continue. You must draw your own conclusions.

Happy New Year to you all!
AnswerID: 279754

Reply By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:20

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:20
Ooooppppsss! Sorry about that!
AnswerID: 279755

Sponsored Links