Replacement seats - 75 Series

Submitted: Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:36
ThreadID: 53108 Views:15959 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I want to replace both the driver's seat and the bench seat in my 75-Series ute and I have some questions related to each.

I know to replace the bench seat with a normal seat might require an engineer's certification as it requires different mounts - is that correct? How can I go about building the mounts?

However, my immediate objective is to replace the drivers seat. Can anyone who has done this mod suggest a seat that would readily fit and that can be easily obtained from wreckers? I'm not interested in the Recaro or Paratus seats as the cost is prohibitive.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:53

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:53
Hi Danie
I believe the mounts for the passenger seat MIGHT be avaliable direct from Toyota, talked to ARB recently about putting 2 Paratus seats in the front of my Troopy,u r right on about the cost $4K,crickey!
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279779

Follow Up By: Danie - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:13
Thanks for your post. Although the Paratus seats would be nice, $4k seems over the top and is even more than I thought it would be! I've got too many other priorities for my ute to justify that cost.
FollowupID: 544662

Reply By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:04

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:04
Hi Danie

1. I have original series 78 2006 seats in mint condition but at high price.
2. I have designed, manufactured and installed wrecker-supplied seats - Very robust - I don't know the make. These have eng cert and formal RTA registration.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to physically help for the next few months - So here's a short description:

For the 2006 78 series, three of the four mounting points for the passenger single seat already exist. The inboard rear mounting point is missing. My solution was to fabricate a 6-10mm thick plate bridging from the current passenger's inboard seatbelt and seat anchor points across to the outboard seat mount. Into this plate I drilled and tapped two holes one for the new seat anchor point and one for the new seat belt position. (The thickness of 6-10mm is to accommodate sufficient thread depth. Thickness varies to accommodate floor pan design.) I used the original bolts for each.

The seats choice can present challenges. Essentially you need to be able to bolt adapter plates into existing holes in the seat base - and use these plates to mount your runners off your original seats. Welding the plates is an option which simplifies - but I prefer bolts and original holes.

Hope that helps.

Chris
AnswerID: 279786

Reply By: Sludgie - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 19:59

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 19:59
gidday Danie,

In my 75 series troopy I used seats out of a honda Prelude ($300.00 a pair) and welded a 2 cross bars to fit the original runners, On the troopy there is an extra set of holes for a non bench seat on the passenger side.They were covered with a thin metal plate which I drilled out to find 2 perfectley good threaded holes. If the ute is the same and I can't see why not then you will only need to buy the seats and use your original runners.

Sludgie
AnswerID: 279801

Follow Up By: Member- Tony C - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:47

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:47
Sludgie,
How did you go locating the threaded holes?I had a look for them on mine and couldnt see how to locate them from under neath with the fuel tank in the way.I havnt removed the passenger seat to have a look yet.
I am thinking of putting in a new driver side seat and putting the drivers seat across to the passenger side using the covered threaded holes that should be there.
Cheers
Tony
FollowupID: 544019

Follow Up By: Sludgie - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:23

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:23
Tony C,
I think there is a second skin above fuel tank so you can only see by taking out the seat (only 4 bolts) and then feel for the indentations of the hidden holes. These holes are in the troopy and I am sure the ute has the same although it has been a while since I put my seats in and visited a wreckers to get a ute passenger seat runner.

Sludgie.
FollowupID: 544069

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:18

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:18
I replaced my seats in my HJZ 75 Ute with a pair of Mazda326? seats. I used the original Toyota runners and welded flat bars across to bolt down the Mazda seats. Those seats are about 2 inches higher which I thought is great. Done some pretty ruff roads and long distance without any problems despite people warning the car seats would fall apart. They didn't.
I paid $120 for two new looking seats at the wreckers. If you are in Brisbane you are welcome to have a look. I'm doing the same with my Patrol seats soon.

Reiner
AnswerID: 279812

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:09

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:09
Danie, email me, nzrees@yahoo.com and I will send you photos of what I have done.

I have a Bush Camper Troopy and I also had the extra threaded holes under the floor mat. I just felt around with my thumb till I felt soft indentations through the floor covering and then used a box cutter knife to cut a flap and expose them.
AnswerID: 279843

Reply By: Member - Chris D (Newcastle) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:58

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:58
Danie,

We have installed Stratos seats to our 79 series, they have a suspension that takes out a lot of the transmitted shocks from the road, the only problem is you need deep pockets. We intend to keep the truck for many years so are spreading the cost over the use.

Overall we are happy with the outcome.
AnswerID: 279888

Reply By: Dennis in Scotland - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 05:49

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 05:49
Hi,
I used a set from a '93 Falcon, with a few mods.
Be very careful drilling anywhere around the original rear seat mounts as the fuel tank is not far below.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 280213

Reply By: Danie - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:46

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:46
Thanks all for the excellent suggestions and especially to Kiwi Kia for the good set of photos. It seems like the same approach was mostly followed i.e. fabricating cross bars onto which the anchor points are fitted. I'll tackle this project soon and post my results.

Cheers

Dan
AnswerID: 280556

Sponsored Links