New car radio for country areas

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 16:15
ThreadID: 53137 Views:1985 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am an old am radio user , 2ch and such like

my car radio need replacing

I am thinging about a sony ( $150 to $200 ) , which one is difficult as the blurb sayes much the same .

but would like to get a radio that would work well when I am grey nomading

Brand is not important , bells and whistles maybe a search function , cd would be wanted

and help please

my aerial is new with a wire coil booster on the top ( supercheap 0
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 17:22

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 17:22
Rod,

I bought this topic up a while ago.

Check it out here to see what was recommended.

Cheers Kev and Darkie
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 279944

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 17:25

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 17:25
I wanted a CD a few years back so replaced my old Eurovox stocky in the Jackaroo for a Sony with CD - $250 at Truscotts included installation. A huge improvement on the original - much more power (but using the same speakers) and excellent sound...... just look for deals on the go via the mainstream suppliers - deals come and go (like everything - no ?). PS .....our current conveyance (LC 100) has an inbuilt 6 stacker that we don't use .... all our music is now on an iPod with FM transmitter.
AnswerID: 279945

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:04

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 18:04
My new LC100 has a CD player in it that plays MP3 songs burnt onto a CD. My mate copied 150songs onto 2 CD's (total 300 songs on 2 CD's) and I just put it on random and never hear the same song twice....(A normal CD only holds about 20 songs in normal format)

That is when I can't get a radio channel as I do like to listen to local stations.

So, make sure your new Radio/CD player has the ability to play MP3...you won't go wrong.

AnswerID: 279953

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 23:28

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 23:28
Rod, i am with you. I am a NEWS radio listener and couldn't care much for MP3 players and the like. I have taken the advice of the local radio shop and fitted up an Alpine. The cheapest of those is about $250 or so. I really don't know the quality of your antenna, but i woudn't normally go to Supercheap for one.

The thing i understand about Alpine is that they have a good AM tuner reception right through their range and it doesn't change much.

One friend I have is the same and has a Sony AM/FM/SW set so no matter where he is, he can get information.

To me CDs and MP3s are something you may have if the transmitters break down.
AnswerID: 280012

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:16

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:16
Rod, I like listening to local radio and was also in a quandary as to what to get to replace my old unit.

Finished up with a JVC 635 and am very impressed.

I live in Far West NSW and can pick up the local radio more than 200 kms from home.

It also has a USB connection and I download various podcasts on a few different subjects and can listen to those by just plugging a memory stick into the USB.

Memory sticks are cheap, so I have a few of them with various types of music an them and no more stacks of CD's in the car.
No more CD's skipping tracks on the corrugations either.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 280059

Follow Up By: Rod E B - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 13:02

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 13:02
I think I will give the JVC a go

The local lifestyle store has them for $209

thanks
FollowupID: 544296

Sponsored Links