Very cool navigation software

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 09:59
ThreadID: 53160 Views:2260 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I know that a number of you are running computers in you car these days so I thought this may be of interest.

I came accros an application called Centrafuse and really love it.

It does the following:
Turn by Turn navigation ( like Tom Tom navman etc)
MP3 player
plays DVDs DivX etc
Blue tooth mobile phone integration (displays SMS messages on the screen as they are recieved in you mobile phone etc)
OBD-ii engine diagnostics if you have the correct interface.
Integrated internet browser if you have mobile broadband
Weather updates (via internet)
Supports the following hardware if you have it
TV tuner
FM radio
Reversing camera

It is designed primarily to be used for touch screens with big buttons. I used this package on a trip to the Victorian High Country over the last week or so and it worked flawlessly. I loved it.

At this point I am only using the navigation and media player options and I used it to play music on the trip as I now have my laptop connected into my car stereo, because its an all in one package it does some cool things like mutes the music when it wants to give you intructions like "turn left 3km"

Obvioulsy the navigation was not much use once I got into the bush but thats where oziexplorer comes in, using xport I was able to run oziexplorer at the same time. When on the blacktop however the navigation software is excellent, it recalculates routes very quickly and I agreed with most of its decisions.

The full package is not cheap but the makers blame the company it buys its maps from. If you already have destinator software you can use those maps and its much cheaper.

I am quite impressed so far.

If you spend a bit of time in your car its quite useful.
Thaught some of you might be interested.
Cheers

PS the usual disclaimer, I am not affiliated with the company in any way blah blah
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Groove - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:49

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:49
By the way I am running this program on a laptop that I bought for $150 from my local computer market.
Its a pentium 4 1.5 GHZ with 500 mb RAM and 40gb hard drive. It was second hand and the touchpad doesnt work but at that price who cares, I use the touch screen anyway, the guy had a few machines around the $200 mark with similar specs, some with keys missing, cracks etc. He gave me a weeks warranty basicaly enough to get it home test it and bring it back the following week if it was a dud.

AnswerID: 280057

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 12:47

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 12:47
Looks very neat indeed....is it much different to Road Runner?
AnswerID: 280074

Follow Up By: Groove - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 14:11

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 14:11
Sorry I'm not familiar with Road Runner so dont really know.
FollowupID: 544305

Reply By: Aaron Gillmore (WA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 14:22

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 14:22
Yeah, similar sort of thing to Road Runner. Road Runner is free/open source but doesn't have bundled GPS software, most use other GPS apps designed to "embed" inside Road Runner, heaps more info on both and more at www.mp3car.com. I use Road Runner and love it!
AnswerID: 280086

Sponsored Links