bush repair training in Brisbane?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 16:53
ThreadID: 53173 Views:3815 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Does anyone know a workshop or club in the Brisbane area offering courses/training for bush repairs? Want to be prepared for a trip to Gibb River Road, Kakadu, etc., drive a Patrol 3.0TD and so far know how to check oil, water and tyre pressure, that's about it.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 17:21

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 17:21
When are you traveling? Will you pass through Townsville? I will gladly provide the course. The only other course I know of is in Lithgow. See www.getabout.com.au.
AnswerID: 280102

Follow Up By: visita - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:52

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:52
Thanks,

don't know yet if and when we will pass Townsville, just started planning the trip. But I will let you know if this becomes an option.
FollowupID: 544913

Reply By: Smudger - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:35

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:35
Copied this from a RACQ online brochure. it's out of date, but I'd be surprised if they are not still running these courses. there's some contact info at the end of the piece. Good luck ...

Engine education

Given that buying a car is a considerable financial outlay, have you ever thought you should know more about the car you drive to better protect your investment?

Throughout the year, RACQ conducts car care courses that are designed to de-mystify the car’s inner workings.

With both theory and practical elements, the course provides an introduction to your car’s engine, fuel and ignition systems, cooling systems, under-body components, tyre care and 4WD systems.

RACQ course co-ordinator Ilona Berecz said prior mechanical knowledge wasn’t necessary for anyone wishing to take part.

“It won’t turn you into a mechanic, but it will give you a basic knowledge of how things work, as well as the ability to recognise when things need attention.”

Ms Berecz said the course could be tailored to suit the gender or age of participants, depending on numbers.

The RACQ car care course will run over five consecutive Wednesday nights, from 7pm-9pm, at the RACQ Technical Services Centre, 10 Graystone Street, Tingalpa.

The course normally costs $82.50 per person. However, RACQ members will receive a 10% discount off the next course, which starts on 4 October 2006.

For information and bookings, email ilona.berecz@racq.com.au or call 07 3666 9760.
AnswerID: 280112

Follow Up By: visita - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:54
Cheers,

checked the RACQ homepage, the courses are still on. Not exactly bush and 4wd oriented, but hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 544914

Follow Up By: Smudger - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 19:11

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 19:11
G'day visita,
What's bush and 4WD ? It just comes back to basic mechanics, whether it's a fourbie or a lawnmower.
As for the bush bit, you've already taken care of that! It's thinking about the possible problems you might encounter and taking steps to avoid, or to address them. It's attitude, and yours is right.
You'd be amazed at the number of people who head into the outback, not even knowing how to use a jack. A couple we met at Kakadu had been on the road for 4 months and had not lifted their bonnet once to check the oil level.
FollowupID: 544919

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:03

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:03
TAFE generally run courses like this also.

Trevor.
AnswerID: 280173

Reply By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 13:15

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 13:15
I don't want to sound to pessimistic, but if you are driving a high tech engine like a GU 3.0L you better carry a laptop with necessary connections/ tuning specs etc etc.. unless it's a very simple issue you are dealing with, you will find a lot of bush mechanics up the creek when it comes to these high tech engines.. this isn't a lot you can do in many case. in fact in many cases there isn't a lot the 'local ' guy can do too... a lot of the modern diesels need full IT diagnostic EQPT support.
AnswerID: 280261

Follow Up By: visita - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:59
Thanks for the reply. I was aware that I will not be able to fix any part of engine elctronics or similar stuff, but if I do a course I might be able to replace the radiator hose or change the air filter, etc. Just want to reduce the risk and avoid looking really stupid out there.
FollowupID: 544916

Sponsored Links