Snatch strap repair

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 17:55
ThreadID: 53175 Views:4221 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
You may remember a little while back I damaged my unused strap and I wanted to have it repaired. While most of you said to throw it out my thoughts were that if it was made by sewing a loop in the end then why cant it be done again. Well Ive had it repaired and it looks fine. I would like to offer it to you all as an experiment if it can be done safely to see if it will hold up. Since Ive never snatched or been snatched out I need someone with plenty of experience to test it with me. In or around Geelong. Anyone?
Regards
Boris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Smudger - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:20

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:20
Couple of weeks back a window cleaner in the US survived after falling something like 45 stories. I guess he proved my theorey wrong.
Still, I don't feel the need to test it.
AnswerID: 280108

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:26

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:26
Not with my car you won't - testing it that is
AnswerID: 280109

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:34

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:34
Hi Boris

Keep in mind that the factory(s) which make these straps have a tested and repeatable production process which uses the same thread, the same needles and the same sewing pattern on each strap and (I assume) they have proven that process by testing their straps under controlled conditions and improving their process until they were satisfied the straps were strong enough. There is no Australian Standard for snatch straps.

You have (I assume) paid your local canvas supplier to sew a loop in the strap? Maybe it'll work... maybe it won't... the process you have used has no history and no traceability - for the $70 or so a snatch strap costs, and given the potential disaster if one fails, I'd have bought a new one.

However having said that; I volunteer Mad Frog to test it with you :)

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 280111

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:47

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:47
G'Day Mike, Didn't know they only cost about $70 so have to agree, maybe not worth the trouble as after cost of repair etc. a new one is the cheap & safe option.

Just as an aside a not meant as an offence, I no longer "assume" anything !! Because to offten it can make an ASS out of U & ME.
LOL & cheers
FollowupID: 544325

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:36

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:36
I ve never had to use a snatch strap being a "black topper!!" But would have thought that because it is used for helping to get a vehicle out of a difficult situation, rather than save the life of someone swinging off the end,then your logic would seem to be OK. Maybe ask a representative of work cover?

We had a broken tow bar a while back, could have been welded to get us out of trouble, but now one would do the job as it appantly is illegal, so we had to wait a few days for a new one.

Does the same repair criteria /legalities apply to snatch straps as tie down straps that truckies use etc?
AnswerID: 280113

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:48

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:48
You all must take into account that if the strap breaks that's all that will be flying through the air....No shackles, No tow balls, just strap, and the bogged vehicle will still be bogged.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 280115

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:14

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:14
The end of a broken strap does a huge amount of damage to a vehicle, seen it happen a few times over the years. The damage it does to a human body is even worse especially when it is travelling with broken glass, seen that too, only once fortunately.
I don't snatch anyone anymore, way too dangerous especially without proper tow/recovery points.
FollowupID: 544327

Follow Up By: BorisK - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:21

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:21
Peter does that mean we shouldnt correctly use the lesser rated straps at all and go for the big suckers (15000kg) straight away?
FollowupID: 544328

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:30

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:30
I have to agree with Doug on that one. If the stitching was to fail, the shackle would still be attached to the recovery point of the viechle.

The strap would fly but if a dampener was used then it wouldn't IMO.

BorisK if you lived in S.A then I wouldn't hesitate. At least I would be out there enjoying myself at the same time

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 544332

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:36

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:36
Not necessarily, but you must use the snatch strap correctly to begin with.
To use a strap correctly is to have a metre or so slack laying on the ground, an air brake fitted to the strap, then the towing vehicle should slowly pull away. It is not a flat to the floor exercise but more a gentle tug. If that doesn't work then you have a situation that requires a winch or other form of recovery.
Most accidents with snatch straps occur because people employ a flat to the floor, balls and all acceleration with most of the strap laying on the ground between the vehicles which are only a few metres apart.
Neither the straps or the recovery points are built to withstand that sort of abuse, never mind repeatedly.
FollowupID: 544335

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:59

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:59
Peter 2, Air brakes don't work ! It is very handy to use coloured material to indicate that a 'live' cable / strap is being used so keep clear.
FollowupID: 544340

Reply By: BorisK - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:16

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:16
Since Ive never snatched before its hard for me too imaging the scenario realistically but maybe- between one car and a giant gum tree, repaired end of strap (assuming its the weeker end-strap will fly in safe direction ) to the car. Safety dampeners in ideal positions on strap incase tree end lets go. Will my 90 series Prado be able to do it with a standard tow bar and my proper tow bar hook or maybe someone has a stronger heavier older car. The experienced person/s would have to be able to judge visually whether it was strong enough or does someone have an idea of a contraption to measure with. No one needs to get bogged. Don't you normally need to use dampeners anyway incase even a good strap lets go?
AnswerID: 280118

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:21

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:21
I'd say forget any attempt at any recovery until you have done a basic 4wd course.

The way you are heading is to seriously hurt yourself, other people or damage equipment.

Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 544329

Follow Up By: BorisK - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:07

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:07
Kev Im a little past that stage and I hope not as silly as I may sometimes sound. I dont have the experience that some of "you" have thats why Im respectfully asking "you". I believe with the right people this could be a little bit of fun with a beer afterwards and a good learning experience as it looks like no one here has done anything like this before. $20 to $65 for a strap is a bit of a saving to me.
FollowupID: 544343

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:03

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:03
Borisk, It's quite common to have them repaired. It will give you good service if it was done properly.

The material used to be brought into the country in bulk by some importers and made up and packaged / branded locally. It's cheaper to get them made in asia these days.
AnswerID: 280126

Follow Up By: BorisK - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:46

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:46
Thankyou Kiwi Kia, I wish you'd said that on my first post a few weeks back. I don't believe straps are rocket science like some, but they do deserve respect. Thats why I still seem to be persisting with this topic me thinks.
Regards
Boris
FollowupID: 544351

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 21:31

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 21:31
Hi again Boris, I did reply to your original post....

"Provideing they are not to long YES tow with a snatch strap - far better then an extension strap - takes the hard jolts out of towing.

Yes you can get snatch straps resown. A local firm where i am at present does it but sorry it's no where near where you are. "
FollowupID: 544359

Follow Up By: BorisK - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:34

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:34
Youre absolutely right sorry, Ive read through a number of times and passed off the last sentence as your signature. I need to pay more attention.
Regards
FollowupID: 544381

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 21:46

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 21:46
Looks like we a could be heading into the realm of condom repairs and all the attendant arguements. If I need a snatch I'll take the unblemished option every time. Go buy a new one and stop all this BS. Cheers
AnswerID: 280161

Follow Up By: BorisK - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:25

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:25
Good'onya bloke. I can afford another franga if I break the first one cause the consequences of a broken franga will cost more than a broken strap. Why don't you trust Aussie sewing quality, Chinese could not be any better.
FollowupID: 544379

Sponsored Links