Remote Warranty Service

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 21:47
ThreadID: 53188 Views:2083 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had cause to use the "roadside assist" that is offered as part of your warranty package on a new 4WD?

We have just returned home from a NW NSW & SW QLD trip to Goondiwindi, Bourke, Cunnumulla, Charleville & Chinchilla.

After our KJ Cherokee had Auto Gearbox problems (which have already been repaired three times under warranty) and sticking in second gear at any speed over 90 km/h we called Jeep roadside assist to see what they could do. We were told that if we were in Bourke, all they could do was tow us to Dubbo!!! (we live in SE QLD). We completed the rest of our trip at 90kays in 2nd gear with the engine warning light on... Has anyone had cause to call any other manufacturers helpline in a similar situation? what was the result.

We were looking at replacing the Jeep with a Landrover seriesIII SEV6TD but after this problem, maybe a Toyota or Nissan are the only options since that's all you ever see in the outback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 21:55

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 21:55
"maybe a Toyota or Nissan are the only options since that's all you ever see in the outback"

Makes sense out of the options you mention.

Toyota first more comfort, better ride, easier to park nicer to drive.

Waits for flames LOL
AnswerID: 280167

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:02

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:02
Toyota offers it as an option, I think about $800.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 280172

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:23

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:23
There are very good reasons why you see more Toyotas and Nissans when remote area travelling.
AnswerID: 280184

Reply By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 23:22

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 23:22
In remote areas all use the relevant states motoring organisation (here the RAC) to do there roadside assist.
As a rac contractor you are very limited in what you can do, ie:- change a tyre or a belt after that it is lift and tow to nearest dealer which from here for any other make other than Toyota and Nissan is a thousand klms away.
Now the interesting part of this and the one we here the most complaints about is that once the vehicle is repaired it no longer comes under assist so you have to go and pick it up in Darwin and drive back at your cost to pick up family and Van or Trailer.
Mitsubishi,Ford and Chrysler will give no information at all and you are not allowed to touch vehicle. Hyundai Kia and some of the others at least try but very few country workshops have the latest computer software too read these vehicles.
Basically what it means is that if you are going to move to a country town, Check and see which dealerships are in that town and buy one of those makes of cars.
AnswerID: 280196

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:53

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:53
Thats why you buy a GU 4.2 TD.. big oil simple 'oiler'.. can probably fix out of any farmers shed with a roll of fencing wire and hay twine.... no need for computer interfaces etc etc...
FollowupID: 544467

Reply By: camwill69 - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 09:42

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 09:42
Hey Sandman,
My Parents used Nissan Care Xmas eve. Their Patrol broke down in Warialda (NSW) on a trip to Forbes (NSW). They rang Nissan Care and were towed (With Van) to Forbes (600km) on Xmas eve free of charge. The Patrol was repaired in Forbes by the Nissan dealer between Xmas and newyear.

Not happy having to spend 9 hours in a tow truck, but were looked after well. Good on you Nissan.

They have since ordered a new 200 series Cruiser as they are over the issues with this Nissan. All the other Nissans they have had over the years have been great (7 in total).

Well worth the extra if you get this service.

Again, GOOD ON YOU NISSAN for the care taken.

Regards,
Camwill69
AnswerID: 280229

Reply By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:45

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:45
I had to replace a fron auto hub on my 05 GU patrol while at Bamaga late last year. I rang the Nissan number and explained that they had 2 options.. send tow truck and pay for accomm as they advertised and then tow it to Cairns as the nearest dealer, or let the local guy get the car roadworthy again, then we would drive it back to Townsville completing out trip and they woudl reimburse me for the parts and labour and then replace the hub.. Funilly enough, they were happy to reimburse me for paying a local guy to get me mobile than to send a tow truck to Bamaga and back...
AnswerID: 280254

Sponsored Links