Waeco 12 volt fridge fuse problem

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 15:10
ThreadID: 53247 Views:12634 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have not started this thread to re-open the Waeco V Engel debate, but just to offer a bit of information that may save some people time and money trying to fix a simple problem.

While my CF50 Waeco operated fine on 240 volts, it started operating a bit erratically on 12volts and my fault finding indicated a poor contact or similar voltage drop, so I cleaned all plugs, fuses etc., but the fault remained. After several other checks and fixes failed to solve the problem I rang Waeco and when I told them the symptoms they immediately said it was a common problem caused by a faulty fuse on the circuit board.

As mine is still under warranty it will be fixed free of charge and I am confident that all similar problems will be dealt with as a warranty claim, despite the age of the unit , although I was told that nearly all have created problems within 2 years of the 3 year warranty.

Symptoms: The compressor starts running and (for me) after about 40 seconds the compressor stops, but the fan keeps going, so it still sounds like the compressor is running and then the red error light flicks slowly for a while and then the compressor starts up again for a minute or two and then stops again and the fan keeps going and this continued indefinitely as described above.

This is my second Waeco with the first one still going fine after 8 years and any dealings I have had with Waeco have been very positive and I hope that continues now after the ownership takeover I think I recently read about on this forum.

Brian DJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:16

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:16
Thanks for that

Our Waeco in the town car does exactly the same. Will take it in to the authorised Waeco repairer soon.

Cheers
AnswerID: 280483

Follow Up By: dazza0503 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:33

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:33
Brian,

Does your fridge have separate cords for 240volts and 12volts?
FollowupID: 544703

Follow Up By: arofs1 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:33

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:33
Willem, If the town car is only plugged in to a normal cigarette lighter a similar red flashing light also often appears for a different reason, which is because of insufficient earthing. All plugs for fridges should have an earth lead right back to the battery negative. I had this problem with my previous Waeco which I initially only earthed to the aluminium tray body which was insufficient. Brian DJ
FollowupID: 544704

Follow Up By: arofs1 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:35

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:35
Dazza, Yes, my transformer is built in to the fridge and therefore needs two separate leads, one for 12 volt and one for 240 volt.
Brian DJ
FollowupID: 544706

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 18:12

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 18:12
Brian

The Waeco in the XTrail(town car) is hardwired and properly earthed and fused. It delivers 14.6 volts at the end of the plug into the fridge. The fridge however does exactly as you described. I am about to upgrade the battery in the Xtrail as it is coming to the end of its life and will see if the fridge continues to play up after installation. I have posted about this issue before.

The Engel in the GQ runs sweetly though.....lol
FollowupID: 544713

Reply By: umopap!sdn - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:50

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 17:50
For what its worth, this issue was rectified by waeco a little while ago, don't ask me when, but I've been told they no longer suffer this problem.

I have 2 CF50's and they both needed the fuse replaced. I believe they were originally replacing what is a 4amp fuse with a 7amp, then eventually started replacing them with 9amp.

Apart from this issue, the fridges have returned excellent service.
AnswerID: 280490

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 18:46

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 18:46
My CF60 is in with a service agent now waiting for parts from Queensland to be sent down - seems my repair is the same issue as yours - faults to a low voltage cycle, when the voltage is NOT too low (measured at fridge, while running)...... mine only did it in very warm to hot weather - exactly when you need it most ! Will pass judgement on Waeco after this episode - as can be seen from other posts, this is nothing new to them - I did take it to another agent in Adelaide who said it was fine ! He was so smart that he could tell how it would go in the hot weather, even though he was testing it in cold weather !! Brought it home and took it on a warm trip only to find it faulting again ! So much for confident bull@#$%^&* artists.
AnswerID: 280497

Reply By: Hopper51 - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 20:06

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 20:06
I recently had the same fault fixed on my CF50. It appears that there was a batch made with the wrong poly fuse fitted (4A instead of 8A). There was no question of Waeco being difficult or that I had a problem somewhere else, the agent had the fridge for about a week in which he thoroughly ran it on 12V and 240V after replacing the fuse to make sure all was fixed. Apparently Waeco thought it had fixed all the problem ones but the odd one still seems to be bobbing up around the place.

Chris W
AnswerID: 280518

Reply By: Member - Steve Y (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 14:29

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 14:29
yes it's a Polly fuse or thernal fuse that get replaced. Not a direct power at the connection ssue but on the circuit board it's self. They came with a 5amp job. I think there replacing them with a 10am job. They melt when uder preasure or heat and then capooey-boom.
AnswerID: 280770

Sponsored Links