Patrol 1992 3L Petrol (carby)

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 14:34
ThreadID: 53273 Views:2337 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I recently purchased a patrol 1992 3L (carby).
I have put in a 1inch lift kit / New Shocks and tyres.
The speedo is 300K and the engine runs very well for what I do.

I have joined the local 4X4 club to learn more anout 4x4 driving and have found the vehicle done what all the other vehicles could do and some times better.

I'm planning my first big Australian adventure Hobart to the Birdsville races in September 08.

My questions to the forum is
1.What should I have checked out on the patrol as we will be traveling on the Birdsville track.
2. I seem to get about 350km to the tank is this normal running(never run out yet) should I put in a long range tank/s

PS
I dont gamble or like horses were off to Birdsville for the social event.

Cheers

Stephen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 14:54

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 14:54
Gday Stephen
I to have a 3lt carb model with gas and 409,000 on the clock.
I fitted my first radiator last Monday , typical, as i was loaded to go away, so waited till Tuesday. I have had a water pump fitted last year and that is about it.
Keep the oil clean and filters changed . They are a 500,000km motor.
Change all the oils , check the brake pads and make sure all the bolts and nuts are tight. Thats about it.

As for the tank, when you reach your 350km , drain the tank and see how much fuel is left.Then you can work out how far you can go after the 350 is reached.
The conditions are different out on the dirt tracks so you might use more fuel.Just be careful..
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 280611

Follow Up By: stephenhd - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 17:32

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 17:32
Many thanks for the info.
I will drain the tank at 350km.
No problem checking the bollts before I go
I was thinking of getting the compression test done but the engine does not burn any oil.

Cheers

Stephen
FollowupID: 544895

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:45
Stephen
I go from oil change to oil change with no loss of oil.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 544910

Follow Up By: Camoco - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 23:05

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 23:05
I was looking at getting a newer falcon engine for the old girl but it just keeps on going. I have gotten into the bad habit of just driving and forgetting. I thought the engine wouldn't last long enough to worry about the maintenance but.. it just keeps going.

I have become used to "momentum" to keep the speed going and avoid hills but it isn't worth the effort of changing out yet. That's when you consider the new engine is an ex police 4.0 BF with 15k on it and it's mine for free with the auto.
I guess I'm just lazy/busy. I can't really afford the time off the road to do it and I expect another 150k out of the 3.0 before it's time is due. (I have now started looking after it to save myself the changeover work)

Cheers Cam
FollowupID: 545007

Reply By: Camoco - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 15:34

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 15:34
Hi Stephen,
I have the very same vehicle but with 370k on the clock. I have had it for a number of years now and it has been very reliable and reasonably cheap to run all things considered.

I get about 400k's to the tank if I look at the gauge (showing empty) but I get around 600k if I run it until dry. That's around town in 60-80k zones, not city traffic crawling. It's even better on the highway but watch your load if towing or filling the cabin as the consumption does suffer with weight.

Check to make sure you have the 90litre tank (as you should) when you next fill. You should be only putting around 50-55 for your 350k's.

As others will tell you, there is plenty of fuel available along your route at most times. Not that you should have a problem.

Cheers
AnswerID: 280616

Follow Up By: stephenhd - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:21

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:21
I have noted that the tank is very fast to go down until half way then it slows up, as per my other email posted I will get to about 350km then empty the tank to see how much is left.
I have no idea about the size of the tank but you are correct about 50 to 55 L for 350km

Cheers

Stephen
FollowupID: 544939

Follow Up By: Camoco - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 22:58

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 22:58
I've been meaning to get into and fix my sender unit but.....
Mine reads about the same as yours. It gives the impression of guzzling but it really isn't. The 14lt/100k's as noted below is about right. Not bad considering the weight and the easily forgotten fact they are still carby after all.

When running around town, My gauge reads almost to F when full then 3/4 after 75k's, 1/2 brings about 200k's, 1/4 is about 325 and empty is around the 450 mark. It goes down continually all the way to the 600-650 mark reading about 6mm below E. Then it stops. (the car and the gauge).

Mine isn't hard to start when cold as also noted below but it has suffered with the cold freeze at times. Just wait for a couple of seconds and it is right to go again. About 4 times in the last 5 or so years and that is here in what used to be COLD Toowoomba.

The manual says about 90litres and I have put about 91 or so in it.

Cheers Cam
FollowupID: 545005

Follow Up By: stephenhd - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 16:38

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 16:38
Hi Camoco

Even though I live in Hobart we get very cold mornings living in the Huon Valley I have never had problems starting.

I'm going to talk a look at the volume of Litres on the weekend.

Cheers
Stephen
FollowupID: 545107

Follow Up By: Camoco - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 23:30

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 23:30
Hi Stephen,
Just to be sure to be sure..

I have never had any problems starting it no matter how cold or hot.
Must say that's not overly common for an old carby job anyway (based on my old clunkers anyway)

My cold issue has been after starting with a minute or so warmup (using the very effective autochoke) then moving off and travelling for around 3-5 k's. It seems to freeze the fuel and starves the carby of petrol. It's not enough to stall it but the accelerator doesn't make any difference. I later found out the carby heaters fail and this is the cause of it but not enough of an inconvenience to be a worry.

I have never had it happen when tootling about town, only when at highway speed so it could be the sub zero rush of cold air. Makes you worry a bit when the gauge is below E and then it splutters but all comes good again after a short idle.

Last time I was in the Huon we had a beaut sleeting and the car was covered in ice. I was getting ready for the snow but it failed to fall until after we left. Pity, that's why we took a winter hol to Tassie. Try summer next time to get the snow :) Just love the cool. Speaking of that we are having what seems like the coldest summer for many years here. Today was 22 and we have only had a couple of 30+ days this season. Normally we get mostly 30+ for months on end. Also it seems to be the driest, ironically as everywhere else around here is knee deep in flood. Guess that's why we live on a mountain.

Cheers Cam
FollowupID: 545211

Reply By: Jim from Best Off Road - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:51
I owned one of these, mine too was a 92.

Your fuel economy sounds about right. They are fairly thisty because it is a small motor lugging a lot of weight.

When that motor was introduced it was considered to be about the perfect design for a 3L straight six. In typical Nissan tradition they last forever.

Not sure where you are, but in Melbourne Russell Guest 4wd does wonders with these.

Oh, I loved that car. Broke my heart when I HAD to sell it.

Jim.

AnswerID: 280672

Follow Up By: stephenhd - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 16:39

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 16:39
Hi Jim

Must admit I would be sad if I had to get rid of this patrol.

cheers

Stephen
FollowupID: 545108

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 21:27

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 21:27
Hi Stephen

THey have 92 useable liters of fuel and are rated at 14lt/100km
meaning you should be able to get 600 + km touring.
Did a homemade 55lt second tank for mine , which saw it do 1000km touring at 100kmh.

Biggest issue is collapse of the fuel heater grid under the carby which makes them hard to start cold.

Converted mine to fuel injection , which solved the above isues and some others.

Great car , but also check clutch wear as when they go the go fast.

You'll have no issues on Birdsville track if you kep tyre pressures and speed a little lower than average.

Robin Miller
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 280687

Follow Up By: stephenhd - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:25

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:25
Morning Robin

Thanks for the info.
Where did you put your second tank.

I have put wise tyres on and I seam to be up at 16 to 20 L when I'm driving at 110 on Tassie roads does this sound normal.

Cheers

Stephen
FollowupID: 545692

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:44

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:44
Made it to fit under rear driver side passenger floor Stephen

No its not normal , 16lt would be the max hopwever its easy to get wrong fuel use figures and the best thing to do is to always fill the tank and right down every fill. This tends to reduce errors over time and more meaningful figures will emerge.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 545791

Sponsored Links