GU carrying weights/Kaymar bar

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 19:51
ThreadID: 53279 Views:3014 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all

I am contemplating fitting a Kaymar dual wheel carrier and am slightly concerned of the weight when completely loaded for a trip.
At the moment loaded up for a trip, in the cargo area I have a home made draw system, 40 lt Engel Fridge, 120 amp AGM battery, 40 lt water, camping and recovery gear that accurately weighs in at 188kg total.
In regards to suspension I have heavy duty OME 2” with 200 rated rear springs with poly air bags and also have the two long ranger tanks which allows me to carry 225lt of fuel under the belly.
From my understanding the Kaymar bar weighs around 85 kg without the swing away arms or wheels which brings me to my question, I am interested in knowing some weight figures that other tourers carry on big trips and thoughts on whether this is to much weight keeping in mind what I have read about chassis cracking above the spring seats.
Any info that can be passed on would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: keith & louise - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:11

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:11
hi Ingo
the spring seats should not crack with this weight. but there is an additional bracket that i saw in the Melbourne 4wd show which fits over the chassis and inside the spring seat. i believe that the manufacturer is AToc in belgrave Melbourne. my mecanic has told me that the only time he has this problem is with the 400Kg springs and he recommends the 200Kg and airbags as the do not pound the chassis as hard.
regards
Keith
AnswerID: 280657

Reply By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 23:22

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 23:22
Ingo57,

Your fuel will weigh approx 191kg. Rear Bar 85kg, plus another 188kg is 464kg. You will have to ring Kaymar for the weights of the arms etc, and any extras you wish to add to the carrier. This will then give you an idea of what the carrier might weigh fully loaded.

You will also need to know what your vehicle weighed empty and then add it all up, and just to make sure go and get it weighed at your local weigh bridge, with you and any other passengers, plus all the gear, fuel and water on board.

I get ours weighed at our local concrete supplier as they weigh all the trucks in and out in 10kg increments. It is not exact, but it is pretty close.
The extra spare wheel for our next trip will go up on the roof basket. It is a pain, but then you wont have an extra 85kg + over the rear wheels.

Hope some of this helps.

Greg
AnswerID: 280703

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:18

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:18
ingi57

My rig has pretty much the same as you and it weighs exactly 3ton full of fuel,empty 60lt water tank no camping gear or people in it, so 4 adults & 60kg water would add about another 430kg plus camping gear.
Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 280714

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 09:42

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 09:42
You can see from my rig and profile how we have our GU setup.
All work was done by ATOC in Belgrave. Aaron has developed the reinforcing for the rear spring mounts and I'd recommend this if you get the bar fitted. I use heavy duty springs when the car is fully loaded for a trip and change them to a medium set when home.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 280725

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 10:34

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 10:34
When I fitted my Kaymar bar to my T-D6, they are fawkin heavy. then add the arm, then the axe/shovel/hi-lift/extra spare/jerrycans etc.

Chances are when loaded for a trip, you will be over anyway - 9/9 patrols on my Murray Trip were all over weight when we hit the weighbridge! Some to the tune of 600+kgs over.

GU's max weight limit is stupidly low. Im going to look into having mine increased same way Lucy did with his Troopy, so its legal. Thats when I get it back from having the Auto fitted up.
AnswerID: 280731

Follow Up By: gbdid - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 18:08

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 18:08
Quite a few 4wd vehicles have surprisiingly low GVM, and hence low load carrying capacity. Gu III 4.2 has a GVM of 3040kg and kerb weight of 2412kg load of 628kg. Pajero NP auto diesel GVM 2810 kerb 2130 and load 680kg.They really are not very high when you consider what you want to put in them for a trip.
Anyone know if it is possible of get the GVM increased in the same way Lucy did in all states, or is it only possible in Victoria?
FollowupID: 545133

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 23:13

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 23:13
You would have to speak with an engineer, but I cant see why it isnt possible.. just how much cost is involved..

I couldnt agree more with your statement on he poor load capacities on these rigs, but then again 90% of them would only ever have 2x kids 1x mum, tennis gear and 2x school bags :(
FollowupID: 545208

Reply By: ingo57 - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 17:12

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 17:12
Thanks to everyone who replied I feel a bit more comfortable with the weights now.
I have now opted to go the K & N strong arm carrier from WA, besides it is a little cheaper it weighs 85kgs with both arms, has high lift jack holes either side of the bar and I get to keep the Haymen Reese towbar.
This will keep my weight under 600kgs when touring where as the Kaymar would have put me over, thanks again for the responses

Cheers
AnswerID: 280798

Sponsored Links