trailer trailing arm suspension

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:26
ThreadID: 53285 Views:12780 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Currently in the progress of desgining and (very) shortly building a camper trailer.

Going down this path due to some specific requirements we have for gear that is going to be carried in it along with all the regular equipment.

Currently looking at fitting it with independant trailing arm suspension and wouldnt mind some suggestions.

Can anyone who has used any of the commercially available options provide coment as to the performance of what they have had fitted?

Has anoyone had success designing and building their own from scratch?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Dave

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mogul - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:33

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:33
Talk to these guys:

Trailer Parts Pty Ltd
81 Challenge Blv Wangara WA 6065
ph: (08) 9302 2800
AnswerID: 280665

Follow Up By: Mogul - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:34

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:34
Was meant to add they do the independant suspension for Pioneer Campers.
FollowupID: 544945

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:35

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:35
Dave,

My offroad trailer has independant trailing arm leaf suspension c/w shocks.
Very good to tow with both loaded and unloaded.

There is a pic of the suspension in my rig pics if you want to have a look.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 280666

Reply By: Louie the fly - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 21:26

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 21:26
I started some preliminary drawings a while back for one with independent suspension. Do you have a CAD package? They were done on AutoCAD R14 but will import into others. I can send it to you.
AnswerID: 280686

Reply By: Scrubcat - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 22:22

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 22:22
Dave,

Google "Control rider" or "Simplicity", should get you heaps of info.
"Control Rider" supply it assembled to the dimensions you require
and you just bolt/weld it in position. I know you asked for design info to make it yourself but this may be an option.
You see a lot of both types under "offroad" vans and campers at caravan shows.

Cheers,
Scrubcat
AnswerID: 280695

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 22:22

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 22:22
Dave,

I've got some photos of suspension on a home made trailer. Give us an email address, and I'll send them through.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 280696

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 12:42

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 12:42
Our Campomatic has a trailing arm coil and shock setup - been trouble free. Seems most advanced ($$$) trailers and some caravans use this setup (Trakmaster sell a lot of their "sugar-glider" TA coil,and shock setup). Chief benefits as I know them are improved central ground clearance and the independent factor breaks up "harmonics" in the overall trailer as it rattles along rough roads (especially corrugations). Not sure if Campo made their own or bought the suspension in as a unit (mine was pre the Trakshak buyout) - there are various makers of "bolt on " systems. Anyone with high quality welding skills and equipment (plus metal cutting gear) could make one I suppose - ours looks rather simple in design - there is an eccentric bolt in the mix one side for correction of alignment. There must be a restraint mechanism of some sort to hold the suspension together (ours is a webbing sling type) should a shocker go free - otherwise the spring will jump out and the whole lot collapses (uncommon, but has happened to some users).

AnswerID: 280750

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:02

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:02
Supreme Getaway caravans utilise the "Sugar Glider" suspension as well and I have been nothing but impressed with mine. I have done so many k's on mine that the front bushes flogged out and the whole swing arm could move at least an inch from side to side. Go around a corner and you would be waiting for the van to come around the corner behind you with a clunk as it locked fully to one side of the swing arm, very unnerving when two and a half tonnes is doing this at 90kph. Replaced front bushes and all is good for another 200 odd thousand k's.

Would definatly reccomend and use again.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 545159

Reply By: GaryW - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 13:21

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 13:21
Our Aussieswag has the Kanga trailing arm suspension - They are in Albury - The trailer tows like a dream.
AnswerID: 280755

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:48

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:48
You could also try these guys LINK

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 280833

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 22:06

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 22:06
Dave,

I've just purchased a 10 year old lightweight hard top camper which has AL-KO rubberised suspension and Bilstein Shocks. The previous owner towed it all around the country without any drama and it towed beautifully back from Qld which included some easy dirt. I don't think I'd do any serious tracks with it though.
AnswerID: 280863

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 21:04

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 21:04
Subsequent to the above post I took it for a shakedown at the AWABA 4WD training ground and it did pretty well on the tracks. The standard coupling was at it's limit a couple of times so I might put on a treg or something similar.
FollowupID: 546642

Reply By: Dave731 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 20:40

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 20:40
Hello All,

Thanks for all the responses! Sorry I havent come back to the forum but have been off interstate working.

Have come across most of what has been suggested and have rulled them out for a few reasons...

Sugar Glider suspension runs out to $2400 with their hubs and brakes, The Gaffa Suspension uses some odd imported shocker that seems difficult to replace and the Vehicle Components trailing arm suspension (coils) only has 30mm of travel! (YES - 3 0 mm of travel!!)

Louie the offer of the CAD drawings is much appreciated - I have software that will let me open autocad files.

Bob Y - any images of what you have built would also be helpful

My email address is davedavezz@yahoo.com.au

Unfortunately unless I find another solution it seems the trailer may end up with leaf springs.....

Thanks again

Dave
AnswerID: 282140

Sponsored Links