99 gu dx

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 18:39
ThreadID: 5330 Views:1520 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
had a look at a 99 gu dx tonight seems very clean . question is being ex telstra should it have been seviced regular.it does not appear to have done any off road could find no scratches under neath still had sticker on transmission will go back tuesday and test drive 4.2 l deisel with winch bullbar central locking and the usuals 30 big ones 89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tristjo - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 23:20

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 23:20
Gob,

Being a fleet vehicle, it should have been well serviced, as they really need to have all their vehicles on the road all the time, so they will tend to care for them fairly well. BUT- some of they drivers may not have really cared about this, and therfore, gave it a thrashing.

The TD42 in the GU is generally a super reliable motor, so if well serviced, shouldn't have any problems. The same go's for the drivetrain. Check to see if it has done any heavy towing. Alot of the Telstra vehicles I have seen have been lugging trailers full of cables. This alone shouldn't prove a problem, but it is worth knowing b4 spending your hard earned.

Make sure, what ever you do, that you get it checked out by a mob that speacilizes in 4wd meachanics. They will have a good idea of any specific problems that should be looked for. All in all, though, GU's are great trucks, and should give you years of loyal service.

Good luck. Tristjo.
AnswerID: 22056

Follow Up By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 14:16

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 14:16
Gob
Also check out the spare battery carrier if it has one. Look up from underneath and check for cracking in the body work around all the mounting points. If it's bad it's tricky to fix and difficult to prevent reoccuring.
Allan
FollowupID: 14499

Reply By: Brian - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 18:58

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 18:58
I recently bought an ex Telstra GQ... couldn't be happier. I got it serviced as soon as I bought it, and had all oils changed... ( Both diff's, transfer case, gearbox and engine) Cost heaps... but worth it though to know theres fresh oil everywhere! Telstra usually have their cars kept top notch.. so you SHOULD be ok!
Good luck!
Brian
AnswerID: 22078

Sponsored Links