DUST IN CAMPER TRAILER

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 22:49
ThreadID: 5333 Views:3859 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AGOOD WAY TO CONTROL DUST -TO PREVENT IT GETTING IN TRAILER. I'V SEEN AIRCLEANERS FITTED TO CAMP. TRAILERS.DO THESE WORK IF SO HOW ARE THEY SET UP.

WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP
DMECH
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 23:18

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 23:18
If your camper trailer has an air vent then you could fit a strong fan in its place with a reverse polarity switch. You could suck any dust out whilst driving and use the fan for cooling when stationary. I have seen snorkles fitted to campers and trailers. Have not seen the results though. Just an idea.

BTW typing a message in capitals is considered to be shouting on the internet.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 22055

Reply By: tessa_51 - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 08:22

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 08:22
Adrian
If you're talking about something like a Jayco "outback" (ha ha) I wish you luck. Anyone who sells a product with that name and then tells you in the warranty that it does not cover damage occasioned by travelling over corrugations is obviously not fair dinkum! But honestly, if that's what you've got there is really no fool proof way to dustproof them. The method of manufacture leaves so many gaps, cracks and holes in the interior that you will never find them all. You can certainly seal the door with cardboard or some other material on the inside of the vent. You can protect the roof join by carefully pulling the front flap of the tent down over the front of the bed when you fold it down. But it is impossible to seal the area around the fridge. Firstly the fridge must be ventilated. And secondly the roof cables have to have some where to go and that leaves a gap for the dust to penetrate into the cupboards and eventually get everywhere. The only answer is to take a good battery operated vacuum cleaner with you and use it as required.

good luck
tessa
AnswerID: 22064

Follow Up By: michael - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 12:49

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 12:49
tessa, we have a '95 jayco swift offroad camper which we've used over many corrugations and to date no breakages. I'm interested to know what problems , besides the inevitable dust , that you have encounted. michael DRC.
FollowupID: 14496

Follow Up By: tessa_51 - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 18:08

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 18:08
Hi Michael
Please don't get me wrong, we are reasonably happy with our 2000 Outback Eagle. BUT, it is definitely a compromise by Mr Jayco. Have had the shocks brackets rewelded three times - each time in a different location to where they now are probably useless, sitting at about 60 degrees to the chassis. Have replaced the cooktop lid twice after the brackets have broken. Now have wingnuts on it to stop it bouncing around. Have just returned from Fraser Island and on the last night before home the winding apparatus failed. Have now discovered that the front right pulley pulled right out of its mooring (bolts snapped) and took the top of the box frame surrounding the cable with it. Am yet to find out out how much this is going to cost me. I think it has been caused by the bolts rusting. (Can't get close enough to be sure) But have had constant problems with water leaking in and soaking the corners of the camper. I have recently siliconed the joins in each corner and hope I've finally beaten this problem. I think the original sealant has been shaken out on corrugations. I have to admit we give the poor thing a workout.
Inevitable dust is right - you just have to learn to live with it.

Tessa
FollowupID: 14504

Follow Up By: michael - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 12:02

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 12:02
Hi tessa , I often wonder about the cable system on our jayco and although I've lubed them as best one can I'd hate to have a failure in the mulga somewhere. Out of interest , do you have a boat rack fitted for dinghy and if so do you find it a pain to lift off boat when you want to crank her up to camp for the night when between destinations ? Also do you have the factory shocks or have you replaced with some thing better ? Cheers DRC.
FollowupID: 14519

Follow Up By: tessa_51 - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 07:49

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 07:49
Hi Michael
Yes having the whole apparatus hidden in that box frame is definitely a cause for concern. I will talk to my serviceman about that this week when I give it to him to fix it. If he comes up with anything I'll let you know.
I do have a boat rack but only to carry two 12kg kayaks on some trips. Have raised the roof once with them on. Didn't do any harm but am reluctant to do it again just in case. I still have the factory shocks, haven't had any problems with them even though I carry a spare set with me. (bought them at a car spares place for about a third of what the Jayco dealer wanted - identical, brand, part no. etc). My problem has always been with the brackets snapping or on one occasion the weld and the bracket came off taking a piece of the chassis with it.
tessa
FollowupID: 14563

Reply By: Member - Ari - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 17:14

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 17:14
Divech,

There was a discussion on this topic on the Campertrailers group on Yahoo not too long ago.
Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers and search the archives.

Ari2001 Patrol 3.0TDI
AnswerID: 22071

Reply By: Member - Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 21:20

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 21:20
Adrian,
I sympathise with you, dust is one of the pains of the outback, it gets everywhere, no matter what you do. You could cover the trailer in a huge pastic bag and the dust would still get it. When you hit the bulldust and it runs down your rear window like rain you've got no chance. It's just one of those things, the things people have mentioned previously will all help I'm sure, I just bought a better vacuum cleaner when I got home, the easiest way to avoid dust getting into your camper trailer is to stay on the bitumen I'm afraid, sorry I can't help more. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 22086

Reply By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:41

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:41
ADRIAN, Increasing the air pressure in side stops the sucking efect. On 4wd use fresh air & full fan on dirt tracks to increase the air presure in cab. May bee you could set up some ducting to chanel fresh air into camper from further forward.
Hope this helpsAround Oz 06/2004
AnswerID: 22170

Follow Up By: Craig - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 20:44

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 20:44
Adrian, Rox is on the right track , what you need is some type of vacuum hose or pool hose from the top of your vehicle and down into your trailer
Hope this helps.
Regards
Craig.
FollowupID: 14627

Sponsored Links