Compressor Tank

Submitted: Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 12:19
ThreadID: 53343 Views:1802 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a firre extinguisher that I wish to use as a reservior tank in the Patrol. Somewhere I read in the forum of details how too do it ! I have done a search but it returned a lot of useless info. Can someone point me in the right direction ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 13:01

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 13:01
Depends a bit on where you want to mount it. Ideally, you would mount it vertically with the outlet facing down (ie: upside down).

If it was me, I would fit a "T" piece to the outlet in such a way that the bit that screws into the tank is one of the sides of the top of "T". This way, you can fit a tap to the bottom of the "T" which enables you to release both pressure and moisture.

The side of the "T" is where you would mount your pressure cut-off switch and the in/out hose from the compressor, via another "T". If you don't want to use multiple "T"s, you can buy a manifold made of aluminium (or make one yourself if you have a welder and a suitable thread tap).

I use stainless steel push-in (Festo type) fittings and 6mm nylon hose throughout and this seems to work quite well.
AnswerID: 280967

Reply By: TrevorDavid- Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 13:07

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 13:07
Try this , click on Tech

http://www.offroader.com.au
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 280969

Reply By: desert - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 13:54

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 13:54
I purchased three stainless steel threaded nipples and had them welded, two on the side and one into the original top opening, which gives you some nice options and 1/4 bsp. take off points.Intake, pressure relief, pressure gauge, supply line, whatever you like. I mounted it laying down with a moisture nipple at the bottom, and clamped the cylinder like you would with an LPG cylinder. Although at 9 litres capacity it is a bit limited. Also look at stainless cylinders from a Japanese truck wreckers.
AnswerID: 280982

Reply By: Ken - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:03

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:03
GeeTee, agree with all the posts so far re connections. Mounting it can be a problem but with a GU Patrol I put mine in the bull bar in the space where the winch goes. A simple cross bar with plates at each end to pick up the bull bar mounts on the chassis, 2 curved bits of flat 1" x 1/8" rolled to match the diameter of the cylinder, and 2 long stainless hose clamps holds it all in place.
If you have a winch you will need to find another place, not easy under a GU !
Ken
AnswerID: 281064

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:09

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:09
Get rid of the big muffler and attach it to the inside of the chassis.....
FollowupID: 545384

Sponsored Links