Twin cabs

Submitted: Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 14:54
ThreadID: 53349 Views:3758 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everybody,
I am considering buying a twin cab. I would like to hear from owners of Toyota Hi-lux and Nissan Navaras on the pros & cons of these vehicles. I will be buying new. Thanks in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rocky_QLD - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 15:31

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 15:31
Hi Turk

Just bought a new Nissan STX, my first diesel and most impressed.
Towed our Pioneer camper across and back on the Lions Road plus some other running with the camper, would have got 700km to the tank. Not bad for onlt 2000km on the clock. The Navarra will be fitted up to tow our new venture Fifth Wheeler early next month be interested to see how it goes then.

Regards
Rocky
AnswerID: 281002

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 15:33

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 15:33
I would suggest you also include the Rodeo in your calculations..

AnswerID: 281003

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:16

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:16
And the BT-50
AnswerID: 281013

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:35

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:35
And a 100 Series Landcruiser converted :))
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 281017

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:38

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:38
He said he will be buying new - not old rubish
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 545352

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:55

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:55
At least it will be quality
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 545355

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 22:47

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 22:47
Or a great Nissan Patrol with a 6.5 V8 Diesel......... YESSSSS!!!
FollowupID: 545434

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 07:27

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 07:27
So you are selling it to get the 200 Series?? LOL
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 545468

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 11:17

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 11:17
I've just found out that my 200 series was (accidently) put on the wrong boat in Japan. Instead of being on the boat to Australia, they put it on the whaler-boat headed for the Southern Ocean and some comment followed stating that they will be trialling it as a new type of anchor.....

Oh well I guess I'll just have to accept it as a sign from the Nissan Gods, that I was never meant to have a 200........ LOLOL
FollowupID: 545507

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:09

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:09
Are you saying they're boat anchors already.....???

They'll throw you out of the v8 diesel club for that...
FollowupID: 545555

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:55

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:55
Gerhard,
I'm still waiting for my membership of the V8 diesel club to be approved. I think they're doubting the existence of my rig and won't ratify my membership until they see it in the flesh!!! ;-))
FollowupID: 545569

Reply By: disco1942 - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:36

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:36
Have a look at Site Link

This is a comparison of 6 makes.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281018

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 17:19

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 17:19
PeterD

Interesting read.

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 545358

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 17:25

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 17:25
Turk

I am a Nissan owner and happy with it. I went to a Nissan Dealer to have a look at the Navara and could not sit up straight. There was not enough head room.

I would only look at the Navara if you are of short stature.

Know a bloke who recently bought a Triton. He is extremely happy with it.

Have driven a rodeo at work. One of the most uncomfortable vehicles I have ever driven. If you bought one you would have to factor in the cost of after market seats.

Haven't driven the Hi-lux. Know an owner and he is extremely happy with his.

The ford Ranger and BT-40 are in reality the same vehicle. Don't know enough about them to make a comment.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281028

Reply By: Member - CS (NSW/ACT) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:56

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:56
Turk,

I did a bit of research on this one before buying a Hilux mid last year. I could not find anything that really separated the ones listed above from each other. I went with the Hilux mainly for the Toyota reliability, but these days most manufacturers are pretty good.

I think it will mostly come down to which one YOU prefer. take a few for a test drive. Make sure that you can get the accessories you want aftermarket on the model you choose. Make sure that you can sit in it for extended periods, different people prefer different seats etc.

Try the model specific web sites like www.newhilux.net and others. You will find, while they defend their cars to the hilt they're still inclined to admit to any flaws.

The only problem I have with the Hilux is that there is a bit of a rattle in the top end of the engine. Toyota have acknowledged this problem, assure me that there is nothing wrong it's just an issue of noise and are currently looking for a resolution. (Sounds a bit wierd to me, but they've acknowledge the problem so they'll have to fix it under warranty anyway :) Apparently I'm not the only one it's happened to.

Our hilux did 17,000ks in 5 weeks late last year without a hick-up. I'd buy another one again in a heart beat.

All the above being said, I suspect which ever one you buy you'll love it, especially the opportunity it gives you to ExplorOz ;)

Cheers,

Chris
AnswerID: 281092

Follow Up By: Member - CS (NSW/ACT) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:59

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:59
I forgot to mention, last year two major Australian 4wd magazines did "2007 4WD ute of the year" style tests and the order they placed the utes in was pretty much reversed in each one. This demonstrates pretty well that it is a very subjective test and while getting advice is a good plan, it'll pretty much come down to what you prefer in the end ;)
FollowupID: 545421

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:42

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:42
Turk,

Can't comment on current new models, but we purchased a new Hilux diesel dual cab in 1982. After few months, put a fibreglass canopy on it, and that made it into the most versatile vehicle I've ever driven.

It was gutless, and rear seats were, for anyone older than 12years, atrocious!!! But it was reliable, go anywhere, and once you threw all the goods into the canopy, couldn't hear anything from there.
You know the styro foam squeak!!!

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281150

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:33

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:33
Turk, I think they are all pretty good vehicles these days and it comes down to personal preference to some extent. But here is our experience with dual cab utes.

We had a Ford Courier 4WD dual cab a few years ago. It did the job, but it was gutless and not very stable on the road. When we came to sell it, we were moving interstate. I advertised it privately but got no serious lookers. Took it to about a dozen car yards to see what I could get for it. Most would not even make an offer. The most common comment was 'mate if it was a Hilux, I'd buy it on the spot. If I bought that from you, it could sit in my yard for months'.

We ended up selling it, but next time we got a Hilux (2005 model - one of the first of the new ones delivered). SR5 TD.

It is a great vehicle and we have done a lot of miles towing the CT and carrying the boat. But, the clutch is suspect - has been replaced under warranty. Though I believe they have upgraded the clutch in the newer ones. With our load I added a power chip and 2 3/4 inch mandrel exhaust. Those things made a big difference. It handles the load like a dream now.

The Hilux is overpriced. $5,000 more than its competitors is a rip off. But why would Toyota lower the price when they can sell them as fast as they can build them. They are easily the market leader in terms of units sold. I guess the only thing with the higher price is that you will get better resale when you look to sell (see my earlier experience).

The Hilux is reliable and because of the numbers sold, parts and service are available anywhere. Also after market mods and accessories are readily available.

But as I said at the start. There is not a lot of difference between them.

AnswerID: 281215

Sponsored Links