Spare Parts and Tools Feedback

Very handy list to have. We recently went on a trip and ended up stuck in a very deep mud puddle, which then proceeded to create numerous problems for our engine. If our buddy hadnt of been there with extra parts we would have been walking a fair way to get some signal and help. We tend to rely on problems that happen to each of the 4WD's to figure out what parts we should be carrying next time. I think this list will be well used. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:28

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:28
I have just had a look at that list. What do other people think of the recommendation to carry the following ?

A set of springs (how heavy would they be)
Water & fuel pump kits ? (presume they mean complete spare)
Shifting spanners (should be ring spanners)
Welder (it does say optional)
Clear plastic such as perspex (emergency windscreen)
Hand drill + battery drill
Grease gun and extra cartridges
Pop rivet tool
Sledge hammer

There is heaps more including such "important" items as indicator bulbs !

My opinion - keep your vehicle in top condition and get is serviced when required while travelling. Sure you need to carry a good few spares but they should only be essential ones that will keep your vehicle running. And it's very important to keep the weight down ! Some vehicles require the removal of so much gear it's almost a major strip down to replace a water pump these days. If you think you might need a spare why not change it before you go on the big trip ? Grease gun and extra cartridges - grease the vehicle before you go and have it done at a service centre if you think it needs another. Welding - most people can't weld and even those that can (or used to) probably can't handle the alloys, castings or tempered metals of diffs, gearboxes, springs, chassis rails etc. on today's vehicles. The easiest way to destroy a bolt head is use an adjustable spanner on it - use ring spanners. A sledge hammer - make that a heavy steel hammer surely.

:-))

AnswerID: 281068

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:52

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:52
Agree with your opinion whole heartedly

However...... I do carry a welding kit(DC), a Battery drill, Dumpy hammer, amongst a long list of stuff

In 2006, about 80km north of the French Line, in the middle of absolutely desert, the rear nut of the RH Radius Arm came off and disappeared into the desert sands. Lady Luck being on my side, I had a nut in my tool kit with the same thread. Both Radius Arms are now double nutted!!!

Cheers
FollowupID: 545400

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:06

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:06
Yep Willem, a bit of heavy cable with lugs already attached for joining batteries and some jumper leads makes a good dc welder, now what electrodes to carry ?
I do carry a couple of wheel studs and nuts - learning from others experience :-)) I also have copied a friend who has put a spare nut, bolt and washer through almost all of those 'unused' spare holes in the chassis and bars.
A spare front wheel bearing set is one I have thought about but I have repacked them a couple of times and do a few km's to bed them in and then recheck before any long distance travel. Also, I am not really into water or mud very often with a touring vehicle. I have changed the water pump and drive shaft universals on my vehicle because of the km's it's done - not because they had caused any problems.
FollowupID: 545405

Reply By: PeterInSa - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:10

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:10
I also include:
Fan Belts and all hoses, universal joint, Engine/Gearbox oil, Radiator Fluid, spare fuses/globes, Trolley Jack, Torch/spotlight, 12v Lantern, Hacksaw. Electric grinder, puncture glue/plugs, super glue and spare keyless entry/remote and a handful of bolts/nuts as well as a high lift jack and Gregorys and Toyota Repair manuals.

The further you go out, the more you need to be prepared.

Peter.
AnswerID: 281081

Sponsored Links