GVM

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 01:04
ThreadID: 53375 Views:3280 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recently thought that I would put my GU Patrol on a weighbridge to see how much extra weight all extras that I have added to has caused. It tipped the scales at 2.8 tonne unladen, but with 2 full tanks of fuel. Considering that the GVM on these rigs are just over 3t, that doesn't leave me with much room to put gear (or people) legally.

Does anyone know of a way that I can increase the GVM of the vehicle and what it costs to do so? I believe that maybe an engineering certificate may be needed? I am not looking for a lot of extra weight, just enough so the insurance company doesn't have an excuse to say 'no' if I crash it. Does anybody know of people that do this. I am located in the S.E. suburbs of Melbourne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 01:47

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 01:47
Smity, with out putting an extra axle under it, you can not upgrade your GVM after it has been registered for the first time. Why this is the case, I have no idea.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281129

Reply By: Member - Dick (Int) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 01:53

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 01:53
Hi Smithy

I can only speak about Toyota Land Cruisers but I think the same probably applies to Patrol's as well. I own a 78 Series Troopy and a 79 Series Trayback. The normal GVM of these is 3,300Kg and I have had them both increased to a GVM of 3,700Kg by TJM in Newcastle.

It involved installing a heavier TJM suspension and getting an Engineer to sign off on the installation.

I am sure other company's are also offering similar kits.

Regards
Dick
Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281130

Follow Up By: Smithy-GUIV - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 02:10

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 02:10
What was involved with getting the RTA to approve this? Was it just a matter of supplying the engineering certificate (and paying the cash)?
FollowupID: 545459

Reply By: Member - Dick (Int) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 03:52

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 03:52
Yes, no problem at all from the RTA in Newcastle. My son did it for me and he did not seem to have any problems. Sure you can get a TJM shop to do the whole job for you.

Dick
Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281132

Reply By: howesy - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:02

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:02
Dont forget that tyres also have a load rating and that will also restrict you. The ply rating may have to be incresed in some cases or like the man said a second axle also increases load capacity but for small increses the suspension kit sounds the go.
AnswerID: 281138

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:05

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:05
Ok, now I know nothing about the legal side of all this but just a thought;
so you don't actually change the registration details but you do have an engineers certification that the vehicle is safe with any mods you have done to the suspension. I reckon that if you advise the insurance company in writing that you have done suspension mods and give them a copy of the engineers certification then your insurance company would have a hard time dumping you in 'it' if you have a problem in the future.
AnswerID: 281139

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:33

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:33
Lucy has been thru the whole process with his Droopy. Same deal, suspension, engineer, VicRoads. Lots of mucking about but reasonably smooth, although he did have to chase lots of things up
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281146

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 09:10

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 09:10
Coil sprung vehicles seem to have problems getting upgraded. I expect you'd have problems with a Patrol, given the rear spring towers crack when overloaded.

Its common practice to increase to 3700kg with the rear leaf suspension on the 78/79series LandCruisers - but its a leaf sprung vehicle with a stronger chassis.

Your problem is no different to most other 4wds out there. Some of them go over GVM with just passengers and fuel in.
AnswerID: 281153

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 09:21

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 09:21
Smithy,

A lot of the Toyota blokes use ATS 4x4 in Geelong for mods etc. On another site they have discusses and done GVM upgrades which include suspension, 'tougher' tyres, better brakes/rotors etc.

I'd give ATS a call and have a chat with them.

Tim
AnswerID: 281154

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:27

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:27
As Phil has pointed out GVM is becoming a real problem. Lousy
93 L tank in 200 series Tojo. Apparently illegal with 3 mates & a full
tank of fuel. No room for gear or booze or Bullbars & other weighty bolt ons. May never attract the road authorities but sure
as hell viods your insurance if they weigh you after an incident.
Brother in law could not remove a thing from van or vehicle after
recent rollover until weighed, & that included him & the missus.
Your concerns are well founded & I hope you find a solution.
cheers...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 281213

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 17:53

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 17:53
Yes it is a huge problem that has been weighing hevily on my mind recently. I _know_ for a fact that my truck exceeds it's legal GVM by 500kg with only me in it plus an empty fridge and an extra spare tyre.

I could nibble away at the problem by removing the steel tray and trying to attach the box directly to the chassis, but this is only going to reduce it by about 200kg (plus I would have to strengthen the underside of the box which partially offset any benefit). I could sell the tray and box and get a new one made out of aluminium, but that's only gunna get me back to about 2900kg; so once I load the family and some gear on board, I'll still be illegal.

The ONLY way I can see of making my truck legal is if I go for a 6 wheel option......

Calling Member Vincent AM (NSW)..... are you still really happy with your rig?

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 281231

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 17:12

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 17:12
Talk to your insurer and others if your current one won't play ball before you do the GVM upgrade.
Once the GVM has been upgraded, engineered and approved you then have a 'modified' vehicle and some insurers will not cover you regardless of whether it is legal or not.
AnswerID: 281410

Sponsored Links