Camping Food

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 20:31
ThreadID: 5342 Views:4677 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
After hints from fellow campers in regards to quick make meals.
I would assume that readers would have come across the Continental Vesta meals in a box. These are bloody fantastic for "touring" and are made up in 12 minutes without having to worry about adding various bits and pieces.
However as of late, the major stores in Perth told me that these aren't being made anymore.
Does anybody have any ideas on similar products ie. dry food products in boxes etc. We don't want to have to rely on meat from the Engel everyday and tinned food is a last resort with us. I realise camping stores sell freeze dried meals but I would prefer not to take out a bank loan to feed ourselves.
Advice appreciated.Love the bush.
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jurgen - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 23:59

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 23:59
Try the "Suimin" meals, they're quite acceptable, add boiling water, 2 minutes and there you are. Buy them at supermarkets. Remember, cryovac packed meat will last a fair time in your fridge, without leaking blood. For cryo sausages, they need to be freezed first, or they'll burst!
Also the Pasta packets,similar deal, boiling water in a pot...
Also remember smoked meats do well.
AnswerID: 22103

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 16:44

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 16:44
Chris you can do all those simple meals out of a pkt . What i do is when i get to camp get the fire going , them put a heap of stuff in the camp oven. Chops vegies pasta and water put it on the side of the fire stir occasionally and in about 45mins you have got a good meal .
You can do all this before setting up tents etc etc and have a cleansing ale and dinners ready.
All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
Eric 02 42 94 3496
Peter 07 4094 1745
Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 22127

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 18:03

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 18:03
Eric,
I like your idea and there's nothing better then the meal you suggest - it's just that I'd rather not drag out the camp oven unless setting up a good base camp for more than one night when I can throw a leg of lamb in. I tend to be a lazy camper and hate the thought of washing the oven every time before setting off for our next destination.
Thanks for your info.
Gibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 14527

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 19:14

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 19:14
Have to admit I cook like Eric - use the camp oven at just about every stop and make as many one-dish meals as possible. For non-meat meals use rice, dried fruit, sweet potato, cinamin sticks, tin tomatos and a bouquet garni (teabag of dried herbs avail in supermarkets in herb section) and simmer together till vegies are tender and rice absorbed. Vego rissotos done in the same manner, or based on tin fish eg. salmon.

There's so much you can do without having to resort to plastic food. We never have but then we like our food.

By the way, we don't wash up the camp oven with detergent, simply empty food out then put back on the fire with some water to simmer. This cleans it beautifully. Then wipe with paper towel, spray lightly with oil and pack away for next time - easy!ExplorOz
FollowupID: 14535

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 19:44

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 19:44
I am with Michelle. Use the camp oven every night and use the same cleaning methods. Have it packed right by the back door and it is usually the first thing out. Have never taken plastic food, even on the Canning or other major treks. Take fresh everything, cryovac or pasta. Take plenty of flour for damper, scones and cakes. After 40 years of going bush and camping one gets into a rythm of doing things to make camping easy. Always try and stop at around 4pm to give plenty of daylight hours to set up camp and have a feed.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 14539

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:16
Yep, gotta agree with you all. I LOVE our campoven. My motto is "what you can't cook in a camp oven isn't worth making!"

I've never used smoke meat before though prefering cryovaced meat or when that runs out tuna/salmon etc. I've been toying with the idea of including beef jerky or something like that on longer trips but have no idea what can be done with it. Any ideas?

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 14571

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:35
Melissa, we looove jerky - in Alice you can visit the factory and buy beef, camel, emu etc jerky in various flavours including chilli, bbq etc. Have never cooked a meat meal with it however. I'm sure you could bake it in your camp oven with potatoes and a tin of creamy soup to make a hearty meal for example. The cost is very high however (about $60/kg) so you wouldn't be likely to stew it up as a main meat meal, but rather add it for a touch of flavour. We just have it as a snack.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 14575

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:42

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:42
Thanks Michelle,

Honestly, I never tried it but I regularly see the packets of jerky strips for sale at roadhouses so I've been wondering. As you suggested, perhaps it might just add flavour to some otherwise non-meat dishes. Like say diced up in a beef and vege rice...I'm heading up to Ningaloo in a couple of weeks so I might get some and start experimenting.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 14578

Reply By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 21:17

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 21:17
Thanks for the responses, the better half has read them also and has told me to stop being slack. Good hint with cleaning the camp oven too.
Overlooked the cryovac system and will buy some of those ingredients mentioned.
RegardsGibb River in July.
Chris
AnswerID: 22154

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:38

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:38
Chris - have you read my page under the On the Road menu titled "Food and Water"? Lots of tips for cooking/food storage in there.

Food & Water Article on ExplorOzExplorOz
FollowupID: 14576

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 22:37

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 22:37
Cheers, never thought of that one - I guess that's what the website is all about:)
Gibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 14637

Sponsored Links