Camp Site Safety

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:39
ThreadID: 53425 Views:1882 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
One of the things that I get asked when camping is will the camp be safe while we go out for the day?

Ever since I started camping, 45 years ago, I have have never had a problem with the camp site being raided or destroyed until last Friday afternoon.

We had been out for the day and arrived back to find all the tents on the ground. Table and chairs scattered about and some things were in the river.

We do know who did this.

Mother Nature.

A very strong wind and rain passed through Talbotville camping area. The wind swirled around bring down branches and a tree as well as all the tents. A couple that were camped near us tried to save what they could but it was a losing battle.

The destruction only lasted 15 minutes but it was very very strong.

After packing up in the rain, we all headed into Dargo and managed to get some accommodation for the night. We were not the only ones, Dargo was packed that night with every bed taken.

This was our last night for the trip so it did not effect us that much except that there will be some new camping gear bought to replace what was lost or broken.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:46

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:46
G'day Wayne,

My heart sank as I read the first part of your thread......then, once I got the "Mother Nature" bit, I breathed a silent sigh of relief.

It's good to know that you will still be able to say to all those who ask the question: "I've never had a problem in 45 years; except for an irate mother of that errant kid called "nature"".... lolol

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 281351

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:47

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:47
BTW.......I spose Vic paid for all the accomodation costs??? ;-((
FollowupID: 545708

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:56

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:56
Gday Roachie,
I wouldn't expect a tour operator to pay for that - even Vic has no control over "Mother Nature" :-)))
FollowupID: 545795

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:01

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:01
I was one of those camped with Wayne and we were all amazed at the damage such a short sharp storm could cause. My tent was destroyed.

We ended up in the cabins at the Dargo Pub and had an enormous counter meal there which I can recommend. BTW I spoke to one of the kitchen staff and she said they had 4 bookings for Friday night and ended up serving 110 meals. How's that for bush preparedness!!!
AnswerID: 281499

Sponsored Links