Time for a fridge post :) Chescold problem?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:56
ThreadID: 53430 Views:2411 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought a Chescold RC1180 fridge/freezer (the blue one) and am very pleased with it, I now have freezer capability in the bush for the first time - excellent for longer stays in out-the-way prospecting places.

It works very well and in our recent Melbourne hot spell in an ambient temperature of 40C the freezer dropped to a minimum of -12C and would probably do a little better on gas, I suspect. Once the ambient fell below about the 33C the freezer started to climb back up to it's, apparent, maximum of -18C. The fridge and freezer were filled with drinks and milk bottles of water to simulate a normal bush load. The net tells me frozen meat much not be allowed to rise above -10C.

Problem:
This is a combined fridge and freezer with the main cooling pipes in the freezer section and a removable (I think hollow) plastic divider between the fridge/freezer. If I have the thermostat wound up high to produce good cooling in the freezer the fridge tends to get too cold - I suppose there will be a balance point somewhere but with the cooling lag of an evaporative fridge it would be very hard to find and would change with ambient.

I'm wondering about drilling a hole in the divider (it's about 25mm thick) and filling it with expanding foam or, maybe, just water? to provide better insulation between the two compartments?

Any suggestions?

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 14:02

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 14:02
Fill with Expanding foam

Water will allow the transfer of temperature more readily because it's there ALL the time and will remain at a stable temperature, maybe even frozen, where as the Expanding foam is not so capable of conducting the temperature from one side through to the other.
Mainey...
AnswerID: 281373

Reply By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 14:28

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 14:28
Hi Mike, I would try Vicks vapour rub for a chescold problem!.:)))))

Hope this helps.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 281376

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 14:59

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 14:59
Axle, I don't think Vicks vapour rub would do any good at all. However; I am prepared to take your idea a little further and perform initial testing upon female volunteers :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 545727

Reply By: TD100 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:16

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:16
MH,

i have the same fridge and have also wondered this,it will and does freeze stuff in the fridge compartment when turned up on gas,froze the bloody coke for me beam the last time!i put some adhesive foam around the divider which did improve the segregation but only maginally.runs sweetly on lpg about 14 days outside @ 26 to 35 degree days on a 4kg cylinder.might try this foam filled divider myself.cheers Paul
AnswerID: 281466

Reply By: 75Troopy - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:22

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:22
I'm another owner.. not convinced that the cold is coming through the divider.. I'm actually thinking its coming through the back plane as its designed to conduct.

Easy test would be to replace the divider with Styrofoam just from the local fruit and veg etc.

Willing to bet it won't help... Might actually need to put a thin layer of thermal protection over the back plane such as wetsuit material..

Anyhoo, to lazy to test my own theories so should really just shut up lol...

Matt
AnswerID: 281481

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:43

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:43
Good point Matt (and one I should have thought of!).

I'll find a piece of Styrofoam the correct size and do the test, that will tell me if I need to do more.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 545909

Sponsored Links