Underbody Cleanup tips?? - what do you do?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:43
ThreadID: 53449 Views:4176 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
After travelling Melbourne to broome, via Tanami, staying there for a few months (plenty of sunsets on the beach, beach fishing/driving), visintg most of what the Kimberley has to offer, and returning via the west coast, you can imagine what the underside of the cruiser looks like. Its only 4 years old, but the underside looks 54. I was pretty good after most beach excursions with a freshwater wash, but the "stoneblasting" surfast rust hardened mud etc. looks a bit ordinary, not to mention not wanting the rust to get any worse....

So... What are the things you do/have done to cleanup the underbody of your machine after similar treatment?? Ive got access to the high pressure washer gear etc. but interested in other methods of removing the surface rust, so that I can "Treat it " so it doesnt happen next time.

Oh and yeah, If your doing a bit of a trek, take it from me..... PREPARE your underbody as well.. it'll save time/money your underbody...

Thanks in advance,

Jarrod.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 19:27

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 19:27
Hi Jarrod, since you can borrow a high pressure clearner I'd give the underbody a good going over making sure you get into all the little nooks & crannies where mud has been trapped & when clean allow to dry. Since it is only surface rust you are experiencing then give those areas a clean with a steel brush to remove any loose particles. Then what I use is an application of RANEX RUSTBUSTER which you can get at most hardware stores (Bunnings is one). I apply it by means a hand spray bottle making sure you don't get any of the liquid on your skin or breathing in the fumes because it contains Phosphoric Acid.
Allow 24 hrs to inhibite the rust then coat with a metal primer. Works well for me. Cheers
AnswerID: 281441

Reply By: Eric Experience - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:33

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:33
Jarrod.
Good idea to wash it but do not use phosphoric acid. The acid contains a substance like a strong detergent that is designed to get it to flow into cracks and seems. This gets under the factory rust proofing and makes the vehicle rust problem much greater. This type of product is ok on an item that is not attached to a vehicle and can have the acid washed of before painting.
There are better products some use tar or wax, Toyota use wax. One of the simplest is lanoteck, it uses lanolin. Eric
AnswerID: 281484

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 00:21

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 00:21
Hi Jarrod, when I mentioned RUSTBUSTER & said it contains phosphoric acid it also has other chemicals which inhibit the rust from spreading. I have been using this product for years on stone damaged areas under my vehicle which had surface rust & never had any experience of it reducing the existing factory rust proofing. Just one mans opinion on a product the works well for me. Cheers.
FollowupID: 545812

Reply By: South - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 00:19

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 00:19
I go to Bunnings and buy a couple of bottle of Export Degreaser (thats the brand name) and give it a good soak underneath, walk away for 10mins, and then come back and give it a big hose down. Let it dry for a while, then the undercarriage will look very pale and un-protected...

Then I get a few cans of WD40 and go to town on everything, soak it big time, you get pretty messy doing this as it drips everywhere, once finished it will look newer than it did the day you picked it up. Make sure you leave it to dry for a couple of hours, if not a day so that when you go for a drive your not collecting all the dirt and dust again.

I did use lanotec for a while, but no matter how long it was left to dry there would be more dirt on it that what i started with in a few days.

Above treatment is done on both 4WD and sedan, neither have any rust.
AnswerID: 281494

Follow Up By: Jarrod OK - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:53

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:53
Thanks Guys, I think I'll try the rust solution from bunnnings. I'll also take some before and after shots....

Have a good day,

Jarrod.
FollowupID: 545847

Follow Up By: BMKal - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:24

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:24
I do pretty much exactly the same as South has described. I get down around Esperance pretty regularly fishing (though not as regularly as I'd like of late). When I get back, the Disco goes up on ramps in the back yard, quick squirt with the high pressure gun to knock off the larger lumps and loose stuff, then a thorough drenching with the Export Degreaser and let it soak in. Then a more thorough go with the high pressure washer. Let it dry and then drown with WD40 or similar. Underbody of Disco (2002 model) still looks like new.

Where Lanotec does come in handy - I usually give the underbody a good drenching BEFORE I head off on a trip. Yes - I know that dust, sand & everything else sticks to it, but this seems to form a protective layer, and I have found that it is much easier cleaning the underbody when I get home if it has had a drenching with Lanotec before I started out.

Cheers ............ BM
FollowupID: 545999

Follow Up By: BMKal - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:25

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:25
I do pretty much exactly the same as South has described. I get down around Esperance pretty regularly fishing (though not as regularly as I'd like of late). When I get back, the Disco goes up on ramps in the back yard, quick squirt with the high pressure gun to knock off the larger lumps and loose stuff, then a thorough drenching with the Export Degreaser and let it soak in. Then a more thorough go with the high pressure washer. Let it dry and then drown with WD40 or similar. Underbody of Disco (2002 model) still looks like new.

Where Lanotec does come in handy - I usually give the underbody a good drenching BEFORE I head off on a trip. Yes - I know that dust, sand & everything else sticks to it, but this seems to form a protective layer, and I have found that it is much easier cleaning the underbody when I get home if it has had a drenching with Lanotec before I started out.

Cheers ............ BM
FollowupID: 546000

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:38

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:38
Some good tips here.
I've just purchased a second hand camper trailer which has an emulsion of sump oil, kero and fisholene sprayed underneath. Although this stuff sticks like glue it is a bit smelly.
Anyone know if degreaser removes this stuff?
How long does the Lanotec last before needing respraying?
FollowupID: 546008

Sponsored Links