Stupid question re no rubbish on fire...

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:24
ThreadID: 53464 Views:3188 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Guys I'd like to think i'm a considerate camper.. no music, no gennie, no dust burn outs etc etc...

But I've seen here a few times now people being "upset" with others throwing rubbish on the fire.

I must admit while camping I keep two piles of rubbish, things which will burn and things that wont. Last night I get a good sized fire (no not 6 feet high, just one with a fair amount of heat) and then slowly throw the rubbish in. Next morning anything that didn't burn I pick out of the fire base and take out with me.

Buggered if I can understand what this is bad...?

I assume some people think that its bad for the environment burning rubbish.. but frankly I can't see how its any better or worse than being throwing in a land fill leaching into our water supply...

Anyone car to enlighten me please.

Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:44

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:44
Matt,

I totally agree with you. However some many times the rubbish is not taken out of the fire place next morning.

If we camp for a few days, take the rubbish with you. No need to burn. Where ever use the waste transfer stations. Every town has some sort of waste disposal area some where.

On the more remote area trips where rubbish can become a health hazard a burn off at night is necessary.
I call it 'Secret Men's Business'.
The fire is built up, the bags of rubbish are collected around the fire, woman and children are sent to bed and in a controlled fashion the Port is passed around as the rubbished is burnt.
Next morning what is not burnt is racked out of the fire crushed and placed into a rubbish bag for disposal at the end of the trip.

Wayne
AnswerID: 281521

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:18

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:18
Wayne, I wan to know how you get the women and kids to bed!!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 545901

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:57
Matt

As Wayne says. It is OK to burn some rubbish as long as you take ALL of the residue out of the fire and place it in your rubbish bag.

Trouble is, blokes (mainly), sit around the fire till late and throw their empty cans and bottles in the flames and then conveniently forget about removing what is left the next morning. There is nothing worse than finding an old fireplace full of the 'heroes' cans when you are setting up camp. I have had to clean out many of them and in the remotest places too!

What is so hard with placing all rubbish in your rubbish bag (I have one hanging off the spare wheel) and taking it out and disposing of it at the closest Rubbish Tip or drums provided for the travelling public

Cheers
AnswerID: 281523

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:24

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:24
On some aboriginal communities it is considered rude to burn anything other than wood. Even paper (which is seen as rubbish) is not permitted on the fire.
AnswerID: 281526

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:56

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:56
This doesn't apply to cars though?.........LOL
FollowupID: 545848

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:34

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:34
Only if you have the traditional "turnemover ceremony" first LOL
FollowupID: 545852

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:40

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:40
I was always told to "Burn, Bash and Bury" in my Army days, although nowadays I "Burn, Bash and Carry". Burning the rubbish when possible and safe to do so eliminates smells and health worries due to rotting matter. It also means you only have to carry what's really necessary.
AnswerID: 281542

Reply By: Smudger - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:50

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:50
Where are you camping that you need to dispose of rubbish with such dispatch. You probably drive past a dozen local council or Nat Parks' bins in your travels the next day.

Glad to hear your fires aren't "6 foot". How bloody big are they?
A cooking fire needs to be maybe 30-40cms diametre, and the flames may get to 30cms high before dropping back to cooking coals. And need not be any bigger to drown a few reds around later.
AnswerID: 281544

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:31

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:31
I fully agree with what others have said regarding disposal of COMBUSTABLE rubbish in the fire. It is things like disposable babies nappies and cans/bottles and bottle tops etc that irk me. I kid you not about the babies nappy...... we were camped up at Davies Hut in the Vic High Country with DB of Great Divide Tours and a dozen Ultimate Campers. The camping area was already inhabited by a 4WD Club from the ACT. They seemed to be quite "put-out" that we arrived. It was a few years ago and my memory of the exact events is a bit hazy; but one thing I will NEVER forget is the sight of a woman who entered into our fire circle area where some of us were cooking our evening meal and proceeded to through a soiled ( number 2's) plastic disposable nappy of the centre of the fire!!! We were gob-smacked and let her know in no uncertain terms that we were not impressed!!! She replied with words to the effect that.... it will burn down to nothing!!! The smell was disgusting.

I still shake my head in disbelief at the temerity of some people.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 281548

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 13:29

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 13:29
I am with you Roachie. I don't like seeing or smelling plastic being burnt as it does give off toxic fumes and if anyone is getting the smoke on the wind the smell is disgusting.

Nappies are the thing that some families seem to think are everyone elses business to smell the burnt product of.

If you campers are showing the intention to take rubish out as they should, why does it have to go in the fire first? Just make the adjustment and bin it.

The worry at Glenpatrick campsite for the EO visit to The Pyrenees was that rubbish would be left. We were thrilled that wasn't the case. Wood was burnt and the ash buried. Tread lightly was the theme of the campsite to the campers credit.
FollowupID: 545869

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:23

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:23
Just wondering what people are tossing in a fire that is classed as rubbish?

About the only thing I toss in is maybe some food prep stuff, scraps after our meal and paper / cardboard.

I don't put plastic bottles (mainly because of the smell), cans or the like, these things spend time in exile (rubbish bag) till the bag can be disposed off in allocated bins.

Brian

AnswerID: 281560

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:30

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:30
On longer trips it pays to chuck it all in the fire
especially cans and stuff and fish them out later. this ensures the contents remaining are burnt and dont stink and attract flies while in the rubish bag
AnswerID: 281561

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:31

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:31
(except beer cans while a decent fire can burn them (ALMOST) completly more often than not it leaves a bit of a mess of 1/2 burnt crumbling cans
FollowupID: 545878

Reply By: 75Troopy - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:44

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:44
Thanks guys, really appreciate your thoughts.

And completely agree with the grotty nappy whilst people are trying to cook or even sitting around enjoying the fire.

Appreciate the comments, don't want to get into a debate on the finer points, happy that I'm not completely off my rocker.. lol

Matt
AnswerID: 281565

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY (VIC) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 15:05

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 15:05
Gday Troopy
If youn know of a "land fill" that is leaching into water ways, you better get onto the EPA and report same.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281571

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:46

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:46
On my first trip into the Mitchell Plateau nearly two decades ago, there were no rubbish disposal facilities for several hundred kms. I found that it was impossible to keep crows and dingoes from ripping apart the rubbish bags as one stored it to take out. And the increasing smell from the rubbish was getting worse as the days went on.
I found burning the rubbish last thing at night, then retrieving all the cans in the morning and bashing them flat with a gympie allowed us to take out one small bag of clean, crushed cans, with nothing left back at the campsite.
The story above of the burnt disposable nappy reminds me of the first time I camped at King Edward River campsite, and of the minefield of nappies etc dumped in the bush, not even buried. There are some shockers out there!
cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 281620

Sponsored Links