Inverter size needed

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:28
ThreadID: 53468 Views:2335 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at running a UMPC in car and was wondering what inverter size I would need to do the job safely. These are the specs for the UMPC

AC Adapter (Input 100~240 V , 50/60Hz)
Lithium lon Battery (11.1V, 2600mAh)
Power Consumption Max. 60W, Normal 15W / Stand-by Mode 2W, Power off less than 2W

Thanks for the help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:35

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:35
Going by your specs a 100W would do.

I run a 300w puresine wave inverter.

Inverters come in two shapes. Pure sine wave (double price) or modified sine wave (cheaper).

The pure sine wave gives better power supplies to computers etc. The 300w size would allow you to run a few chargers etc and once you have an inverter you will find other applications so don't just fit it to one application.

AnswerID: 281532

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:47

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:47
The Inverter has to supply the maximum "power consumption" Eg, 60 Watt

However, if you get an Inverter a bit larger you can run other appliances also.
Example; 200 to 300 Watts is a more realistic size, and suitable for various "small" appliances, as you can't run a 100w appliance on a 60w inverter.

A "Pure SineWave" Inverter gives superior performance compared to a 'square' wave or a 'modified' sinewave.

read the technical specs, buy the highest % of efficiency that's with-in your budget, above 90% is better than 88%, more realistic is 91%, if no ' % ' is nominated, then it's probably very low and should be disregarded.
The better quality Inverters are fan cooled.
AnswerID: 281535

Reply By:- Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:31

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:31
Thanks for the replies. When you speak of a 300W PSW inverter are you referring to it's peak or continuous rating?

I just had a quick look on ebay and I notice that the efficiency seems to be listed as 80-90% or >85% or >87%;

Any suggestions on suitable sources for a decent quality inverter at a reasonable price. I don't want to waste my money on junk but I am on a budget.
AnswerID: 281539

Follow Up By: Ircon - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:44

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:44
Morningstar seem to have a good reputation as a Pure Sine Wave Inverter.
From memory 300W costs about $300. I think they will handle 600W for a short duration. You should check the specs.


FollowupID: 545855

Follow Up By: Member - Steve Y (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:22

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:22
Mate I got a 300w pure sine wave (600 peak) from Jaycar. Was a while ago and they look good and works well for all the ideas above. lap tops, Battery chargers (Camera etc) It has a low voltage cut out so there is a bit of protection for your battery. I also droned mins when we didn't quite make a river crossing. it was submerged for 20 mins. Pulled it apart, dried and lanotec and all as good as gold. Anyway have a look at their web site
FollowupID: 545875

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 00:14

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 00:14
The 300 watt number refers to 'Continuous' power available, don't be overly concerned with the 'peak' [power surge] number as it's only available for a very short duration (seconds not minutes) and I would only expect an extra 50%, taking the 'peak' [power surge] to maybe 450w, when this is exceeded the Inverter automatically shuts down, just switch it back on and continue working, just more carefully lol.

The efficiency % is far more critical if you want a decent performing Inverter, don't settle for anything less than 88% as a MINIUM % number, 90+% will be more efficient (mine is only 89%) there are various other specs to be aware of, but now we are just getting pedantic.
FollowupID: 545996

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:34

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:34
Right here on ExplorOz is a site that will explain .

Inverters at EO

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 281549

Follow Up By:- Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:00

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:00
Thank you, I should have looked around a bit more but I was busy at the time.
FollowupID: 545927

Reply By:- Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:03

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:03
Having had a bit more of look it appears that the suggestion to use a 300W continuous pure sine wave inverter will suit my immediate requirements for powering the UMPC and will also power the other items I have that I may want to take with me from time to time.

What I need now are recommended sources to purchase from. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

AnswerID: 281622

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 23:26

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 23:26
Most UMPC's or Ultra Mobile PC's will be supplied with a 12V in-car power supply. If not ask your supplier for one.

Any good inverter will charge the battery if you carry the mains charger around with you.



AnswerID: 281666

Sponsored Links