Buying a 4WD Feedback

Could some one please advise me what would be the best option?
I have an 80 series 4.2 diesel Land Cruiser in very good condition having only 203 000 ks.
I find it slow going up hills towing our 21 foot van.
Here is the question! If I get a turbo fitted would it out perform a 3 litre turbo Prado or not ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:30

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:30
I saw a sticker once on the back of a 60 series Cruiser that wrote "Too slow? Too bad".

Not really answering your question but if the 80 series gets you where you are going every time then do you really have to change it?

Barnesy
AnswerID: 281600

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:52

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:52
Barra1

There is more to driving a vehicle than going up hills.

I have driven an 80 series and I have driven a Prado. If I was you I would put a Turbo on the 80 series.

I was not impressed with the Prado. That is my opinion. I know plenty of satisfied Prado owners. I know plenty of people who will only drink warm VB. I wouldn't.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281602

Follow Up By: BARRA1 - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:11

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:11
Hi Kumunara NT
Thanks Heaps
FollowupID: 545917

Follow Up By: Blaze - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:52

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:52
Who would take any notice of anyone who admits they know people that drink warm VB. I wouldn't even admit to knowing anyone that even drinks VB, warm cold or otherwise LOL

Kumunara, a person you know who drinks to much at Neds Corner and sits on 3 legged chairs, got rid of his Turbo 3 ltr and now owns a 4.2 80 series Cruiser to tow his van. Believes he needs a bit more from it. The 2 best scenerios are either Turbo or LPG the Cruiser IMHO..
FollowupID: 546003

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 18:40

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 18:40
Blaze

Warm VB is the drink up here with some of the older blokes. They didn't have fridges or ice when out in the bush working. They drank VB warm and some still like it like that.

Not that many years ago you either drank white cans (Carlton) or green cans (VB).

The gentleman you were referring to I remember well. He was so drunk he was able to balance on a 3 legged chair. If he had sat on a 4 legged chair he would have fallen off.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 546132

Reply By: Member - Terry D (QLD) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:53

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:53
Hi Barra
I don't know whether it would out perform the Prado - but from my view it comes back to the load of the vehicle and tow weight. I have a 21'10" Jayco - fully loaded with water/gas etc comes in a smidgen under 2.5 tonnes (possibly a smidgen over depending on how much wine and vegemite we pack for the long haul). Having just gone through the exercise myself, have a 100 series with after market turbo, was updating and considered the Prado/Pajero etc, but for the above reasons - too close to the legall limit - decided to go with the bigger class vehicles ie in our case the V8 Diesel - still on order. I'd stick with the cruiser.
My opinion
Regards
TD
AnswerID: 281603

Reply By: BARRA1 - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:21

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:21
Thanks TerryD
Yes this is all new to me. I haven't done a trip in the van yet, just got it back from Melbourne where we bought it.
I'ts so nice to get wholesome answers instead of smart arse ones.
Cheers and we will stay with the 80 series.
AnswerID: 281612

Reply By: Nav 8 - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:43

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:43
Barra 1,,, Have you considered fitting gas? You get a Federal Gov rebate of $2000.00 and if you live in WA also a $1000.00 from the state gov. I had gas fitted to my STR Navara and picked up 20HP extra at the rear wheels and 100Km extra on a tank of fuel, well worth the $865 after rebates. Regards Nav.
AnswerID: 281619

Follow Up By: Geepeem - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 22:04

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 22:04
Nav 8,

What type did you fit - its something I am considering.
My reserach suggests there are two types - an electronic type that involves a computer and a second mechanical type where the gas is injected based on the turbo boost. If your vehicle is N/A it has to be the elcronic type. I have researched eCo-shot, ECOMIX, and the Diesel/Gas Australia model. Are there any others you came across. Your comments and reason for choosing the one you did would be of value.
If you don't want to post the details here I can provide my email address.
I am convinced its worth doing from the research I've done,
Cheers and thanks,
Glen
FollowupID: 545973

Follow Up By: Nav 8 - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:19

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:19
G`Day Geepeem,,,Yes there are two types as you said. I have the non computer type that simply injects metered gas through a jet into the air intake. The gas is turned on and off by a micro switch on the accelerator pedal and the jet size is determined by running on a dyno until the correct size is found. It is a super simple system with only a T fitted into the heater hose to supply warm water to the regulator, and the crankcase breather hose relocated behind where the gas is injected. This is done to prevent gas entering the crankcase. My Navara has the ZD 30 engine and is turboed. It was fitted by a company called Liberty gas in Rockingham WA. As I have said I am very happy with the set-up so far. The gas tank is a 40 Ltr that holds 38 Ltrs gas and fits up under the chassis and the system uses 15 Ltr gas per 1000Km so has a total range of over 2000Km. The reason I chose this system was its simplicity and the fact that it has minimal interference with the engine and electrics, and the total cost of $3865.00. After rebates it only cost me $865.00 . I feel the advantage of extra power as we pull a 20Ft van and the extra 100Km a tank of fuel will soon pay for its self. Hope this information is of some help. Regards Nav.
FollowupID: 546055

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 07:31

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 07:31
Put the turbo on the 80. They are brilliant cars and love 'em to bits but wouldnt swap for a prado....although we did ours for a navara, but ours was dual fuel with 290k.

Doesnt metter what you buy its gonna slow down when towing something that big!! Do up the one ya got and lookf after it!

Laura
AnswerID: 281693

Reply By: KSV. - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:48

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:48
Replace car and start to fix it over again? Not wise decision IMHO. 200K for 1HZ diesel is nothing. Just service it properly and as suggested above add turbo if you need more grunt and it would be like new for fraction of cost.

Cheers
Serg
AnswerID: 281718

Reply By: BARRA1 - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:34

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:34
Thanks heaps for all the comments and advice.
As I said we have made up our minds and will get the 80 series turboed.
In passing I will say that I'm not so sure about getting the gas fitted to a diesel engine.Some 6 months ago we looked at buying a rig that comprised a 21 foot full van towed by a Troopy with the gas conversion. All I will say is that it would not go over 70 ks on a dead flat road.and blew enough black smoke to start a new BHP. Sure the computer might have wanted adjusting or whatever. According to the owner it needed constant attention. As I said, I'm no expert but there is no way I would entertain the gas conversion.
Cheers and thanks again,
Barra1
AnswerID: 281727

Reply By: BARRA1 - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 19:33

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 19:33
OK since all you guys have been so helpful, I would like to ask another question if I may.
What brand of battery compressor should I buy to fit under the bonnet of the 80 series to pump my tyres up after driving on the beach.
Cheers and kind regards to all
Barra1
AnswerID: 281820

Follow Up By: KSV. - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:01

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:01
Both questions is can of worms one – there are so many opinions as drivers.

You can gain some compressor opinion
here.

My advise is buy best what you can afford – you will be p155ed to the death if your compressor get broken and you have nothing else to inflate your tyres with.

No such things as “battery for compressor” – if you recon that your battery not up to scratch, then just leave engine running during inflation – compressors do not consume much power really (comparing to winches, say).

What about general battery question is greatly depends on application – search forum it been discuss numerous times. My personal believing is wet style (with caps, no “low-maintenance” or “maintenance-free” ones in my garage!!!) deep cycle or combine cycle dual battery system will deliver most reliable and long service. Of course if looked after properly.

PS would be better make new thread.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 546295

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:15

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:15
Serg,

I think he just means what type of 12v compressor and not both compressor and Battery.

Barra1,

I would suggest that you get a compressor that is not permenately fixed under the bonnet as they don't really like the heat. Get a reputable brand that has it contained in a carry case etc.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 546301

Follow Up By: KSV. - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:28

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:28
Oh, I see he meant “battery operated compressor”. Yep, agree with your feelings that underbonet location not the best for 12V electric compressors. I am still in stage of make permanently mounted compressor, but recon I can fit it in rear right quarter.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 546303

Sponsored Links