Cutting hole through Cargo Barrier

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:42
ThreadID: 53509 Views:3702 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, was wondering if by cutting a hole through a cargo barrier on one side of it to fit our self inflating matress in (queen size) will this make it illegal in any way and/or take any strength out of it. I'm only talking of cutting through the mesh. I really dont want to have to have the rack on top just for the bed. It will be on the drivers side. Was also thinking of modifying it at work by where I intend cutting a hole through it make it like a little door with a latch on it so when we dont have matress in I can have the mesh back in place. Will also get used for water/snow ski etc ???. Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:00

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:00
There are factory cargo barriers with opening sections on them. For example, Holden do a barrier with a central poly carbonate hinged window/flap that opens rearwards to facilitate (1) emergency escape hatch for passengers if 3rd row seats fitted (2) ability to carry longer object - although I consider this to be dangerous and contrary to the purpose of fitting a cargo barrier.
If what you are considering doesn't in any way compromise the intended purpose of the cargo barrier and you feel comfortable sitting in front of it with objects stored behind it then all hould be OK. Most if not all of these cargo barriers have to comply with specified Australian Standards. If in doubt, check with the manufacturer. That way you can't go wrong.
AnswerID: 281732

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:23

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:23
Hi Dio, Im thinking of making the hole on the drivers side so that worst case if having to hit the anchors big time it will only slide forward as far as the back of the drivers seat. Dont want it in the middle for that reason so I dont end up with a water ski trying to insert itself through the cd player. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546058

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:02

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:02
cargo barrier's are not compulsary, I took the center panel out of mine so I could access the sleeper , Imagine if one were sleeping in the rear of a Troopy with a full barrier, and some nut latched the spare wheel carrier and a fire started , NO WAY OUT, besides it's good when in mud or rain , I don't have to get out and enter from the rear doors.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 281733

Follow Up By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:15

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:15
"and some nut latched the spare wheel carrier and a fire started "

I know they are only small side windows but I betcha you'd fit through.......LOL

Hows things Doug??

Cheers
Michael
FollowupID: 546053

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:18

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:18
Hi Doug, it would have to be a bloody big hole to get my arse and guts through it. I have removed the third row of seats bolts and all. Wont go back in unless I sell it. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546054

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:20

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:20
Michael
Things are great, weather is like sex... wet and warm...not as much rain as down South though....YET

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 546057

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 17:26

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 17:26
see no problem as long as the integrity of the barrier is still intact. A lot of 4wd people put small hatches in their barrier to allow some access to the rear from the front.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281790

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 19:06

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 19:06
Why not buy a half barrier that normally fits above a set of drawers
AnswerID: 281815

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 19:21

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 19:21
Hi Graham, I still want to be able to use the rear seat. The half ones means I would have to have the rear seat folded up against the front seats. If I was able to fold half the rear seat that would be ideal but unfortunately I dont have that option. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546142

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:03

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:03
Well I think one of the advertisers in 4WD monthly advertise a two piece one that may do what you want.

Try www.4wdsystems.com.au

I was in touch with Milford about installing one slightly different to their standard placements and was told that any variation voids warranty etc and may lead to insurance problems.
I would prefer a ski thru the Cd to one thru my back. LOL
FollowupID: 546164

Reply By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 21:03

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 21:03
Stephen
If you are prepared to have a water ski come through into the back of your drivers seat in an emergency stop why not throw the B----y cargo barrier away!!! Seems to me you want to have your cake and eat it too. What else are you going to stick through the hole as time goes on - a step ladder, maybe your tent poles. I can't understand why you can't rearrange your loading so that the mattress will fit somewhere else. Obviously you won't be using the second row of seats with the mattress sticking through the barrier, so why not just put it in the area in front of the barrier and tie it down. We carry 2 single self inflating mattresses in our Prado and don't have a problem.

tessa
AnswerID: 281838

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:00

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:00
If I had a ski coming through the hole I will still strap it to the barrier to stop any forward movement. You obviously dont own as you have stated a queen size self inflating matress (4wd Roman) bloody pain in the arse as far as packing it goes. The best place is on the roof but would prefer to keep it internally with in the car. I wont be puting a hole big enough for me to climb through. Im talking just big enough for the matress. Yes I still use the rear passengers seat (not third row as I have removed them) as we often have some one in the back including dog hence why I said the hole will be on the far right hand side (drivers side) so that if need be I can use passengers side and middle seat belt if required.As you have stated you have two single ones so packing them is a lot more versatile. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546210

Sponsored Links